News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Golden

Tom Naccarato-Guest?
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:12 AM »
now what?

Dan Herrmann

Re: Tom Naccarato-Guest?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
He's taking a break.  He explained it on a thread on Wednesday.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »
8)  Hey, Guests outnumber members usually 2-4 to 1..  per stats on home page.

I assume TN is always watching.. if not participating
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jon Heise

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
You can switch to "guest mode"?  huh?
I still like Greywalls better.

Mike Golden

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »
I am waiting for the Emperor to confirm but it appears that there was a double 'whacking' sometime in the past 24 hours.  I've sent Syl, Christopher, and Paulie out to recon and pick up the envelope for the layoff on the USC bets from yesterday, the crew made a huge killing on that one.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:14:06 PM »
It seems Jay Flemma has made it to guest status too. Is that the double whacking referred to?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »
I think Ran has made a New Years resolution to reduce the unpleasantness of late on this site.  Let the double whacking be a warning to all us assholes who rant, use foul language and trash the access whores on this site...........

oops, I am well on my way to "guest status".
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Golden

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
apparently it was a triple whacking, not just a double.  News at 11...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
I am waiting for the Emperor to confirm but it appears that there was a double 'whacking' sometime in the past 24 hours.  I've sent Syl, Christopher, and Paulie out to recon and pick up the envelope for the layoff on the USC bets from yesterday, the crew made a huge killing on that one.

I thought Chris got whacked too.  ???

Mike Golden

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »

That was all a dream, David Chase realized he might need to make money after his next movie bombs so unwhacked Chris and took Syl out of the coma.  Syl is out touring with the Boss and will be in public at the Super Bowl.  Philly Leotardo, though, just like Generalissimo Francisco Franco, is still dead.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:09:43 PM »

That was all a dream, David Chase realized he might need to make money after his next movie bombs so unwhacked Chris and took Syl out of the coma.  Syl is out touring with the Boss and will be in public at the Super Bowl.  Philly Leotardo, though, just like Generalissimo Francisco Franco, is still dead.

Is that in next season?

It would be hard to make a film that captured all the high drama on GCA.com.  So much of it takes place in cyberspace, it would have to be like The Matrix.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
So, the operative concept here with these GCA.com "Gumba guys" who disappeared is:  Just when they thought they were out, we keep on pulling them back in...

What gets me still is that these two 'guest' guys are really cumpadri, but don't even know it after so many 'drive-by postings'.  Maybe a tincture of time will heal old wounds...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Golden

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »

Is that in next season?

only in my mind, there is no next season.  Maybe I'm hallucinating after watching a full season of 'Weeds' via On Demand yesterday.  And, if you ever want to watch the Sopranos without the humor, check out 'Brotherhood' on SHO.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »

Is that in next season?

only in my mind, there is no next season.  Maybe I'm hallucinating after watching a full season of 'Weeds' via On Demand yesterday.  And, if you ever want to watch the Sopranos without the humor, check out 'Brotherhood' on SHO.
Ha!  Why would anybody want to watch the Sopranos without the humor?

Mike Golden

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »

Is that in next season?

Ha!  Why would anybody want to watch the Sopranos without the humor?

Ace, there isn't, maybe that's why, except for Weeds and Californication, Showtime is pretty much unwatchable (well, Diary of a Call Girl has its moments)...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
A show called "Diary of a Call Girl" could prompt one to order a SHO subscription.  Great title.  I'll bet Eliot Spitzer ("and Swallows") is an avid watcher!

Happy New Year, Mike, I hope 2009 is a good one for you.

Mike Golden

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
A show called "Diary of a Call Girl" could prompt one to order a SHO subscription.  Great title.  I'll bet Eliot Spitzer ("and Swallows") is an avid watcher!

Happy New Year, Mike, I hope 2009 is a good one for you.

Happy New Year to you and Kathleen, Bill, 2009 is going to be a much better year than '08 for all of us, hopefully.

P.S.  Diary of a Call Girl is pretty good although not nearly as funny as Californication, which is downright hysterical, right up there with Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
Mike Golden:

I have never seen so many quotes from so many people in one blue box after another; totally confusiong to me even though I think I just figured out the way to read it is from the inside up. I ought to cut the whole thing out and use it as an awning on my patio for the cat.  ;)

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
I just now notice that Tom is listed as guest. I thought he usually made fairly well informed posts. And Jay Flemma especially made good posts. I would think they left because they wanted to leave, not because they were forced to leave. Especially Jay.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
Tisk, tisk, tisk.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »
Good God people!!!!

Is this like that story Mackenzie tells about a doctor in the Spirit of St. Andrews???

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ian Andrew

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
My final conversation with Tommy recently asked a fascinating question - is 1,500 people too many?

I date back to 1999 when there were a lot less posters, a lot more industry people and the discussion was … well, slower. Since the circle was fairly small - the discussion was fairly friendly and a little more frank - since we were all sort of feeling out the process. Only a handful of us were seeing what was being said – so there was little less fear of going out on a limb. There was yet to be the herd mentality present that tends to stampede anyone outside the consensus and nobody participating that would castigate you for having an opinion that wasn’t the same as theirs. They certainly told you when they thought were wrong – but never that your mother should have had an abortion (the only time I quit the site).

The original group had one large advantage over the current group – since all threads were relatively new and so it was easy to generate an interesting discussion. Because of this there were very few were off topic threads and nobody posted to share there enthusiasm for their college football team or their won importance. The discussion was so rich because it all was so new for all of us. It was all so fresh and exciting.

The site grew and gained an influential position in golf architecture circles – to Ran’s credit. But it’s been a feather in his cap and likely a curse at the same time. This site certainly helped bring change to golf course design but as it grew Ran’s own participation declined. The writing on the site has helped, the discussion has provided a resource, but it was the opportunity to broaden your knowledge of what’s being done that proved to be the key. Look at how many look-a-like courses are being done based upon the work that was heavily supported on the site (even if they don’t get the philosophical side of some of the better works).

God knows how many posts and threads have been made since I first came here – but we appear to be slowly proving CB’s assertion that there are only so many theories and ideas to be discussed in golf architecture. I found the same when I blogged - I continued on for a long time until one day I ended up talking about Frank Lloyd Wrights “Compression and Release” theory - and knew I was truly running out of ideas.

I think what’s happening to some posters like Tommy is they have begun to struggle in participating since the topics have been covered over and over again all while the group has become unwieldy. I personally post in fits and starts - because the site both fascinates and horrifies me - all at the same time. The site has grown through excellent new voices like Neil Crafter, Mark_Rowlinson, Mark Bourgeois and Tim Bert along with a whole host of creative new minds that entertain me each time I come here.

I think Tommy was convinced that 1,500 people was too many – and that his leaving made more sense than wishing that others would go instead.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:55:32 PM by Ian Andrew »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »
Ian, I actually agree with the notion of topics being covered over and over by the usual suspects, and perhaps the effort to be fresh and original pushes the posts and thoughts to become more erratic or errotic or personal, or just cries for help through humor... (not me of course  ::) )

Seriously, we have had these blood feuds a few times a year.  Even on the precursor to this forum, Bravenet or whatever else we called it, a few food fights broke out between some otherwise very fine gents. 

Strong opinions, big egos, desire to have a take that don't suck and get the last word are probably enemies to every discussion group, whether in cyberspace or face to face.  We just got to roll with in, IMHO. 

Sooner or later, even Tommy or Jay will come across something in GCA that they recognise is fresh and must be shared or discussed, and they'll find a way back.  It would be soooo very cool if they both discovered the same thing, agreed on it, and shared it as a team.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ed Oden

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Maybe its just my imagination.  But it sure seems to me that the vast majority of the incivility, personal attacks and conflicts that lead people to leave or be removed from this site involve longtime participants.  Does familiarity breed contempt? 

Ed

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »
Dick,

I suspect your memory might be better than Ian's. At least from the sample I took. At one point I spent some time reading some very early threads, and they were nastier than what I generally see now. The group was particularly nasty to a character called Barney, and he was nasty right back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back