News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Warren Golf Course at Notre Dame (w/pics)
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 07:20:20 PM »
Noone has explained why the location of the clubhouse and the resulting routing are as presently configured.

It would seem contrary to prudent thought, unless there were permiting issues.

Brian Joines

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 08:03:22 PM »
Considering the entire front nine has about 5 feet in elevation change at the most I think C&C did a very good job in coming up with an interesting and fun golf course and I think it is a little better than it is being made out to be.

I think it is at the low end of C&C's oeuvre but that said I think it is still better than what most architects would have come up with for that site.

I realize my post came off sounding a little more negative than I had intended. While I do enjoy playing at Warren, it's just not worth the money for me to play there often when I could play at my club or at a course with better value. There's Angel's Crossing, Rock Hollow, Blackthorn and even Mystic Hills within an hour or so of South Bend.

As John said, it's also important to play with the right people. Warren is not for the wayward hitter. If you can't keep the ball relatively straight, it's going to be a long day for everyone in your group. I had a bad experience my last time there and that has left me a little sour on it.

But I will agree that it's hard to imagine anyone putting a much better course on that land. There's only so much you can do.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
Noone has explained why the location of the clubhouse and the resulting routing are as presently configured.

It would seem contrary to prudent thought, unless there were permiting issues.

Patrick,
Hopefully Ken Fry will see this, he is probably most likely to know.

My guess (and I don't remember if I've heard this or if I'm making it up  ;D) is that the Warren family donated the money and wanted the clubhouse there...so that is how it was done.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »
Andy,

I know Bill Warren and spoke to him in the formative stages of his grant and retention of C&C, but, I don't recall anything about Bill wanting the clubhouse in that location.

I would think that he would defer to C&C on that issue.

I believe the current clubhouse shares the footpad of a much older building and the preservation or use of that footpad had something to do with the clubhouse's location.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »
Pat,
Certainly possible. It does sit in a nice spot in terms of having a nice balcony view of the 18th green. Its a pain having it that far from the driving range and parking lot, obviously (especially in a thunderstorm!).

David Kelly

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
Its a pain having it that far from the driving range and parking lot, obviously (especially in a thunderstorm!).

I know it would hurt merchandise and food sales but I don't know why they can't set it up so that a golfer can pay at the starter's hut right there next to the first tee.  It would make things a lot easier.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Richard Boult

Re: Warren Golf Course at Notre Dame (w/pics)
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
Added a bunch of Indiana golf course photo tours by Chris and a few others to:

http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Indiana

Thanks to a list sent to me by Brian Joines!

Ed Gowan

Re: Warren Golf Course at Notre Dame (w/pics)
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 06:46:27 AM »
This course is a throwback to the days when architects seemed to care about all those who would play.  I played the course a few months ago with two very poor players and a mid-handicap woman who all thoroughly enjoyed the round, a commentary missing in conversations near my home in Arizona these days. 
As a better player, I had all I wanted from the back tees, and also thoroughly enjoyed each and every hole.  They collectively might not strike fear in the player, or have the visiual drama that buys magazine covers, but for the thoughtful player of any ability, it's a challenge and a pleasure. 
We need more of this...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back