News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Parker

Ross Axford, anyone?
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
I've been doing some casual research on Ross Axford, who, according to The London Free Press Golf Guide designed and built Indian Hills Golf Club in the early sixties.  Indian Hills has the highest slope rating in Lambton County, Ontario and has recently been purchased by the Chippewas of Kettle & Stony Point First Nation who have planned an extensive "facelift" for the course.

According to one course profile, Axford was a "long time assistant of Robert Trent Jones," while another profile calls him "a former construction associate of famed architect Robert Trent Jones."  A lengthier profile of the course, published in a London Free Press article provides us with more detail:

Axford had retired to Ipperwash after helping Robert Trent Jones with site work at the London Hunt and Country Club, which opened in 1960.

I've managed to put together a bit of a timeline from my research on the internet.

An archived article of The Greenkeepers' Reporter mentions that "Ross Axford, Sunnybrook Country Club, Utica, Mich. was elected Secretary-Treasurer" of the Detroit and Border Cities' Greenkeepers' Association for 1936.  Sunnybrook's website indicates that the course's history

dates back to 1936 in Utica, Michigan when our 18 hole Donald Ross designed Golf Course was established.

According to The Centennial History of Mount Clemens, Michigan: 1879-1979:

Ross Axford, the present owner (of the Gowanie Golf Club), purchased the property and took possession in April, 1939. The club as it is known today originated in 1958,when members formed a nonprofit corporation and took over the leasing obligations.

So it looks like, if all these Ross Axfords are the same person, that Axford became the greenkeeper of Sunnybrook when it opened in 1936, acquired Gowanie in 1939 and operated it until 1958, and then probably worked with Robert Trent Jones on London Hunt until its completion, at which time he designed and built Indian Hills.

Other than that, does anyone have any other information on him?
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Ross Axford, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:46:23 PM »
Chris,

I've never heard of this guy, but if he worked with RTJ at London Hunt, I imagine that Dick Kirkpatrick has.
jeffmingay.com

Chris Parker

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
Bump...I first posted this thread over the Xmas holidays when not too many people were online...Hopefully now more people (especially Dick Kirkpatrick - at Jeff Mingay's suggestion) will be able to chime in with some information...Thanks
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
Chris:

My dad worked at London Hunt with RT Jones and Robbie Robinson, I was working at Trafalgar, so I don't know of Axford and don't remember them talking about him.

I do know that one of the very early superintendents at the new London Hunt was George Darou (sp) who passed away several years ago. I am not sure if he was there during construction, but do think he was.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back