News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Kalen Braley

While recently doing some researching in trying to find out the architect for all of the courses I've played, I found out that Saticoy Regional Golf Course in So Cal is attributed to George C. Thomas.  (Not to be confused with Saticoy CC that I believe was recently reno'd by Harbottle. )

I played the course about 10 yrs ago, and didn't think much of it at the time.  Course conditioning was less than desireable and the scraggly little 9 holer had two sets of tees to be played as 18 holes.

Does anyone have any information on this course and/or provide verification of this courses alleged creator?

http://www.ventura.com/activities/golf/saticoy/

Thanks,

Kalen
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:43:39 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tom Naccarato

There is hardly if any Thomas work left.

Dan Proctor once told me he went and played it, I asked him how he liked it and if there was anything left, he just shook his head in disgust.

Kalen Braley

There is hardly if any Thomas work left.

Dan Proctor once told me he went and played it, I asked him how he liked it and if there was anything left, he just shook his head in disgust.

Tom,

That sounds about right.  While I recall seeing a few pushup bunkers, it was really nothing memorable...and not worth the effort to even go see if you lived more than a couple of miles away.

On the bright side, perhaps it could become a candidate for a nice restoration if enough information/pics could be located on it.

Tom Naccarato

Half of it was lost to the park. The other parts, I'm told have been changed quite significantly. Unfortunately, other then aerials, there is little to know images I've come across but that doesn't mean that are not out there!

Jon Spaulding

Tommy, you going to call this one into 1-800-keep it classic?
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Naccarato

The Operators will be hard at work!

Lynn_Shackelford

Indeed, Saticoy Regional was the original Saticoy CC, designed by George C. Thomas.  As for the Thomas design it is long gone.
The current Saticoy CC, designed I believe by William F. Bell, is an over rated course; over rated because it is very difficult and thus some (no one here of course!) think it is a good course.  Actually if one removed all but 10 trees on each hole, the course has some hope.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back