News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Naccarato

Anchorage Alaska Area Golf
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:14:42 AM »
Going up there tomorrow for some golf and needed some quick suggestions....

So far I have Anchorage Golf & Dog Sled Club (Chief Fogowie)

Heard it is a solid course with lots of snow. I heard it features a Double Glacier green at the 7th. Some really cool stuff.  Here's a picture:

Anchorage Golf & Ice Fishing Club (Palin) - much better than I ever expected.  I thought I'd be freezing my ass off and I did... in Eskimo gear, Eskimos, Igloos, lots of snow.

Really, though, the experience was cold and harsh.  Chief Whale Blubber, the pro is one of the most unfriendly eskimo's ever to walk the 39th parallel. He's not very intelligent, very cynical, and is as insincere as an American Native can get. An eskimo's eskimo.  He hates Sarah Palin. He was also the model for the tail wing logo for Alaska Airlines.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated..... I'll have some of my people post some suggestions if you can't come up with any...

Joe Hancock

Re: Anchorage Alaska Area Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:18:16 AM »
Nanook Rubs It
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »
Alaska Athletic Club is a nice one. It features 2 regulation courses (the Frostbite Course and the Snow Drift Course) that wind through the glaciers and frozen ponds. Also as part of the complex is a Tennis on the Tundra court; you have to make sure the tennis ball is perfectly dry though as the temperature is so cold that any amount of moisture will cause the ball to instantly freeze to the ground. AlAC also has one of the finest snow machine race courses in the world and even offers classes so that people can learn how to ride dog sleds. I feel this is the finest golf club in the Anchorage area.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
Alaska Athletic Club is a nice one. It features 2 regulation courses (the Frostbite Course and the Snow Drift Course) that wind through the glaciers and frozen ponds. Also as part of the complex is a Tennis on the Tundra court; you have to make sure the tennis ball is perfectly dry though as the temperature is so cold that any amount of moisture will cause the ball to instantly freeze to the ground. AlAC also has one of the finest snow machine race courses in the world and even offers classes so that people can learn how to ride dog sleds. I feel this is the finest golf club in the Anchorage area.

I may get blasted for saying this, but on the Frostbite Course the routing could have been better on the finishing hole. The cluhouse should have also been angled so you could see Russia from the 18th green and clubhouse portch, So shoot me I'm into views.

Anthony

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »
Now Anthony, You forget that at one time Alaska WAS Russia! Also, great concern was taken when routing the 18th to avoid the superintendent's igloo on the adjoining 1st fairway....

John K. Moore,
At AAC-Frostbite, did you play the "Polar Bear" or "Husky" tees?

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
Tom, that green looks more like a Brrrrrrraritz than a Double Glacier.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »
Exactly, but that was in jest of the post (er) which this is taking inspiration from! (See Yale #17 as a Biarritz green complex. I'm just mixing it up a little for the fun of it!)

Norbert P

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »

Russian America : The Great Alaska Venture.  By Hector Chevigny is a terrific read about the history of Russian (capitalist?) occupation in Alaska.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-America-Great-Alaskan-Venture/dp/0832303208

Editorial Reviews  (Morgue File on Amazon)
Product Description
"A compact, fast-moving social and political history that brings to vivid life the story of Alaska's early days. Its name was not Alaska until we bought it in 1867. Until then it was Russian America. Americans at large are apt to forget that our 49th state, Alaska, was first explored and settled by the Russians. They left a definite mark on the vast Northwest. 288 pages."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:47:46 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
I guess I could have added a dog & sled team for a golf cart, along with a really sexy Eskimo beer cart girl.....

Allan Long

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Tommy,

If you are going all the way to Anchorage Golf & Dog Sled Club, I would not miss their unpublicized "Moose Ranch" course. If you can find it, I would highly suggest utilizing their Caribou caddie program.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
I heard that the caribou were a problem there. I know one person who has similar problems...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »
I guess I could have added a dog & sled team for a golf cart, along with a really sexy Eskimo beer cart girl.....

That is so not scotish.

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
I think it's time for me to introduce a Zune-type "bug" into Tommy's hard drive, making jpg's and tiffs a thing of the past........

Of course, I wouldn't feel so strongly about it had he redeemed hisself with a little tip of the hat to my Nanook reference, but obviously Tommy needs a dose of culture.......and maybe a trip to St. Alphonso's pancake breakfast......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »

I may get blasted for saying this, but on the Frostbite Course the routing could have been better on the finishing hole. The cluhouse should have also been angled so you could see Russia from the 18th green and clubhouse portch, So shoot me I'm into views.

Anthony

Yes, I suppose 18 could have been better, but I trust you noticed the environmentally sensitive permafrost to the left of the fairway and the rows of igloos to the right, over there near the Supers hut. And yes, I think they could have easily angled the clubhouse to give a very clear view of mainland Russia.

Tom--I actually played the 'Extreme Shrinkage' tees. They are the longest set.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 09:37:39 PM »

Anthony

Yes, I suppose 18 could have been better, but I trust you noticed the environmentally sensitive permafrost to the left of the fairway and the rows of igloos to the right, over there near the Supers hut. And yes, I think they could have easily angled the clubhouse to give a very clear view of mainland Russia.

Tom--I actually played the 'Extreme Shrinkage' tees. They are the longest set.

John, 

You know what really burns my rump. When I mentioned Pinehurst would be better without all the houses everyone was offended. But noone seems to mind when people complain about all the igloos on the FROSTBITE COURSE. And to make things worse the Queen loves it and this time next year it will be Royal Frostbite. What is worse is that Trump is looking at land (ice) 15 minutes up the coast. The game is going to pot.

Anthony

John Moore II

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
Well, Anthony the homes at Pinehurst are somewhat out of play. Those igloos at Frostbite are right off the fairway. When I played there back in January 07, I almost killed this Inuit guy who was trying to cut a hole in the ice and catch a pollock or two. And now that I think about it, my ball rolled into his dang fishing hole. I had to take a stroke penalty because of that hump out there fishing in his back yard.

I hadn't heard about Trump and the Queen. But for some reason, since we are no longer a commonwealth and under the queen, I can't see ever being classified as a 'Royal' club.

I can't see Trump getting too far though. I mean, this is a course that can only be open 4-6 months of the year when its cold enough, not to mention, he can't sell houses and build waterfalls.

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 09:26:44 AM »
 8) Joe, where he stole the margarine?

the caddies up there warn in the summer to not start play after 10:30 PM.. something to do with bears

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
I spent 1 month in Alaska in 1998. I regret not playing golf while there, even though it's slim pickings for courses....
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »
Actually, Anchorage Golf Course (aka O'Malley's GC) is a decent layout. We have been preparing a master plan for them for the past 6-months. It was apparently designed by Bill Newcomb about 20 years ago. Too bad more clearing was not accomplished as it is a tight layout. Despite tight fairways there are several interesting holes — hopefully to become more interesting.

While I have not seen them — I hear of Bear, Fox and other animals. Caribou are common. And, they are very large. Not the beast you want on greens.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

John Moore II

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »
Actually, Anchorage Golf Course (aka O'Malley's GC) is a decent layout. We have been preparing a master plan for them for the past 6-months. It was apparently designed by Bill Newcomb about 20 years ago. Too bad more clearing was not accomplished as it is a tight layout. Despite tight fairways there are several interesting holes — hopefully to become more interesting.

While I have not seen them — I hear of Bear, Fox and other animals. Caribou are common. And, they are very large. Not the beast you want on greens.

Blast you Forrest. You've taken this thread of fiction and brought some element of truth into it. Double turds.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »
I have not played the course, but when I do it will be from the Palin Tees. Or, the Lipstick Tees as they are called locally.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back