News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: New Year A to Z
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »
As Tom says No 3 is Humewood in South Africa and No 18 is Gavea in Brazil. 

A few more hints:

1. Last letter of the alphabet - look up the last courses in a few handbooks/directories - Alpine Europe.
2. Decadence in a utilitarian society - Trent Jones family doing their bit for East-West relations.
3. Humewood (South Africa)
4. Same continent - get 3 and work north - rather a long way - and a famous period piece colonial novel/expose.
5. Tucker's Point (formerly Castle Harbour) (Bermuda).
6. Carries the name of a major North American city, a long way west in an often neglected country of North America.
7. Barwon Heads (Australia).
8. Domurgsche (Netherlands).
9. Real Pedrena (Spain)
10. Formosa (New Zealand)
11. La Dehesa (Chile)
12. Should have been Ullna (Sweden)
13. Two courses - one apparently in the British links style, the other apparently in an American style. Has a greenkeeping deal with ANGC - apparently. Not easy to give a clue. Have a look at the Low Countries.
14. When I say best paid, I include (particularly) Tiger- who has been one of his biggest paymasters and who has paid him to appear at some less than classic venues?
15. Right next door to a world-famous links with the same surname, as it were. 'Sure it is'.
16. Queenwood (England).
17. The initial we need for the 'alphabet' is of no use. Try to identify the type of countryside - it is (from the air) remarkably similar to a number of other courses in and around a major city- in France
18. Gavea (Brazil)
19. European heathland close to the shore. Scandinavia awaits your discovery of it.
20. West Monmouthshire (Wales) - highest golf course in UK - mountain golf, but doesn't it look like links!
21. A hard one - there are more golf courses to choose from in this coun try than any other - and you have to know what letter you are looking for. I only chose it because it has an unpronounceable name in a land of unpronounceable golf courses. It's not far from Pittsburgh, although that doesn't help with its initial letter.
22. Oporto (Portugal)
23. Askernish (Scotland)
24. There won't be any litter in this country - a useful journey break twixt Australia and the UK.
25. A nightmare for early editions of World Atlas of Golf - they changed the nines for club play and competition play, rather like K-Club. Unfortunately there has just been a horrible night-club fire in this country.
26. The airport in the top of the picture is no longer the city's main airport. When I was there they were using this particular airport for police and military training for a forthcoming Olympic Games. There was a rather sad looking 747 being blown to pieces with explosives and troops running into it while i tried to concentrate on 5-irons and putts. Pericles is probably turning in his grave.

James Boon

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »
21 is Youghioghney, but don't ask me how to spell that? Funny, when I first saw it I noticed that the colours were similar to those on the Merion Aerial from the seasonal aerials, but wasn't going to start panning around the whole state just to look for it!
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »
Mark, last set of clues has helped!
24. Jurong, Singapore
26. Glyfada, Athens, Greece

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Micah Woods

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
25 is Navatanee in Bangkok

James Boon

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
I should point out that I'm not as well travelled as those previous posts suggest, just enjoy surfing around Google Earth! In doing so I noticed that there is a course near to the site Mark showed as Askernish, about 1 mile north. Is this the old course that is being renovated into the Old Tom Morris inspired course we are discussing or is it another course?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=askernish+scotland&sll=47.394631,8.674736&sspn=0.055779,0.153809&ie=UTF8&ll=57.189181,-7.417188&spn=0.00586,0.02738&t=h&z=16
Hope that link works? Sorry, not managed to work out how Mark posts his aerials...

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:31:06 PM by James Boon »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 04:13:10 AM »
Royal Zoute?

James Boon

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »
15. is Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links.

Cheers, James

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 04:56:11 AM »
You're near enough. Well done, sleuths!

Here's the list:

1 Zürich Zumikon Switzerland
2 Meridian Moscow Country Club Russia
3 Humewood South Africa
4 Karen Country Club Kenya
5 Tucker’s Point Bermuda
6 Vancouver Canada
7 Barwon Heads Australia
8 Domburgsche Netherlands
9 Real Pedreña Spain
10 Formosa New Zealand
11 La Dehesa Chile
12 Ullna Sweden (except that I got it wrong and put in Osterakers by mistake, for which many apologies)
13 Golf Château de la Tournette Belgium
14 St Leon-Rot Germany
15 Portmarnock Hotel Republic of Ireland
16 Queenwood England
17 International Club du Lys France
18 Gavea Brazil
19 Esbjerg Denmark
20 West Monmouthshire Wales
21 Youghiogheny CC USA
22 Oporto Portugal
23 Askernish Scotland
24 Jurong CC Singapore
25 Navatanee Thailand
26 Wild Card Glyfada Greece

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back