News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Wolffe

Newport CC -- Architectural Summary
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »
Hi again with another short historical summary -- Newport CC.

We understand that Tilly's Reef hole may have first been designed on the course, but am not sure if the hole still exists as originally designed or intended by Tilly.   Also, we don't know how many original holes were re-designed by Tilly and how many were originals on the newly aquired property.  All help is appreciated.

Newport – redesigned by A.W. Tillinghast circa 1924

The Newport Country Club in Newport, Rhode Island was founded in 1893 and played host to the first U.S. Amateur Championship and the first U.S. Open in 1895.  The Club played over several early golf courses in it early years. 

“Courses” is the correct description, as there have been countless changes in the links layout from the earliest days to the present time.  When the original Newport golfing enthusiasts played on rented Brenton Pointe property, they used a nine-hole course presumably designed by Theodore Havemeyer himself in 1890.  In 1893 hat site was modified by W.F. Davis, the newly-hired professional of the newly-organized Golf Club.  {The Newport Country Club, Its Curious History, by Alan T. Schumacher, 1986, p.41}

The club moved to the Rocky Farm land in 1894 and Davis also designed two new courses there, a long course and a short course.  In 1897 a second nine holes was added in 1897.  The membership expressed dissatisfaction with the second nine holes, which was built on low-lying land and had serious drainage problems.  In 1915, Donald Ross was retained to remodel the course.  In 1921, the club planned a complete reshaping of the links and purchased 49 acres of nearby land and engaged A.W. Tillinghast to design a new 18 golf course.  {The Newport Country Club, Its Curious History, by Alan T. Schumacher, 1986, p.42-43}

The course which emerged was essentially the one which is still being played on over sixty years later.  Today it measures 6,568 yards long, red tees, and 6,198 yards from the with for men, less for ladies.  {The Newport Country Club, Its Curious History, by Alan T. Schumacher, 1986, p.43}

Since 1995, the club has carefully restored its Tillinghast course under the direction of golf architect Ron Forse.  In 1995, in celebration of the U.S. Amateur Championship centennial the course hosted the U.S. Amateur and in 2006 it was the venue for the U.S. Women’s Open.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

Re: Newport CC -- Architectural Summary
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
Rick,

Newport is one of my favorite courses.

I could play it every day and never tire of it.

I think the 5th hole is one of the greatest holes in golf.

It's an architectural delight that presents interesting playing options.

Throw in the wind and it's a joy

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »
Rick,

Newport is one of my favorite courses.

I could play it every day and never tire of it.

I think the 5th hole is one of the greatest holes in golf.

It's an architectural delight that presents interesting playing options.

Throw in the wind and it's a joy

Patrick, could you describe #5?  I haven't had the pleasure of playing Newport.  When I was at Navy OCS there we didn't much free time.  ::)

hick

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »
Howdy, I may have some info for you as I recently saw the original plans from ross and tilly that were lost. I cant say much as it is job related and it was a spring clean find. The plans were very interesting to say the least. They need to be restored and may happen this winter.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
I played the first 8 holes at Newport on the single most miserable weather day I ahve ever experienced in golf, and it was still one of the best golfing experiences of my life.  I would dearly love to have another shot at it someday, hopefully in better conditions.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »
Bill,

On another thread some time ago I described the hole and play of the hole in good detail.  I'll try to find that post and repost it.  If I can't, I'll do it again.

If someone can post an aerial of the hole it would help.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »
Howdy, I may have some info for you as I recently saw the original plans from ross and tilly that were lost. I cant say much as it is job related and it was a spring clean find. The plans were very interesting to say the least. They need to be restored and may happen this winter.

Mat,

Thanks for giving us a heads up.   It sounds very exciting, indeed!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:08:33 AM »
One of the really neat aspects of the Reef Hole is that this is one of the very few purposefully-designed drivable par-4's that Tilly did.

We know of two... one at Newport and one at Bethpage Blue (the original 5th hole that is now the 12th of the Yellow course).

I've learned of another that may potentially fit the bill, but can't yet document it.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »
Rick and Phillip,

It was always my impression that Tilly kept some of the Ross course. I am reading the above that it was essentially replaced 100%. Is that correct?

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
I would love to know where there are some examples of Tilly's Reef hole because I think it is one of the most interesting design concepts I'm aware of, and I think it could just as easily be done well on relatively flat land as otherwise.

There is little question in my mind that Donald Ross borrowed Tilly's Reef hole concept almost completely on his original 12th hole at LuLu----a hole that was eventually compromised by the creation of a parking lot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back