News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Extremely Shallow Golden Age Greens?
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
Are there many - or did the evolution of extremely shallow greens mirror the evolution of the aerial game?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Greg Holland

Re: Extremely Shallow Golden Age Greens?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »
Seems that ANGC No. 12 (and maybe No. 7) and Pebble Beach No. 17 qualify?

Riviera No. 10 and Pine Valley No. 8 are just tiny in all regards.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »

All the greens are shallow at Delmonte which I believe is the oldest course west of the Mississippi. Was that the standard back then?

Anthony

Nick Schaan

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »
I think Tacoma CC boasts the oldest west of the Mississippi?

Seems to me a lot of the golden age greens seem shallow because they are often either roundish, or some sort of oval like shape set on a diagonal angle to the approach.

Lester George

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
Number 12 at the DuPont Course was originally very shallow and when we rebuilt it we put it back that way.

Lester

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
Greg, 

I don't believe the 12th at Augusta National Golf Club was as narrow as it is today.  To boot, there was a very steep bank directly behind the green that could be used as a backstop before the green was raised.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JESII

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »
#11 at Huntingdon Valley is pretty narrow...sort of a mirror image of #12 at ANGC...minus the front bunker.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
what about the other par 3 at pebble?.. i've never played it but it always seems really shallow on tv.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »
what about the other par 3 at pebble?.. i've never played it but it always seems really shallow on tv.

12?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »
Mike:

I'm not sure if the rise of shallow greens mirrored the advent of the aerial game, or the growth of irrigation systems.  In the old days a shallow green was MUCH harder to hold.  There were a few great examples, but in general greens were reasonably deep along the line of play.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
I was shocked to learn how narrow or shallow the 1st at Philly Country (originally the 16th?) originally was and if I recall correctly there's a green on that Bay course at Seaview (that's getting a lot of play on other threads on the front page now) that is one of the smallest and/or narrowest I've ever seen.

But the rear of Riviera's #10 that's very pinnable and set at an angle is probably the narrowest (shallowest) I've ever measured. I stepped it off a few years ago and I recall it was only about seven steps wide back there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back