News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSlonis

Re: Golf's best openng holes
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »
Nearly two pages in and not one mention of the 1st hole at Pine Valley?

David Stamm

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »
Nearly two pages in and not one mention of the 1st hole at Pine Valley?

I've never played it, Jamie. But then I haven't played the ones I discussed in the opening, so..... :P

Would you settle for I didn't want to steal them all. ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JSlonis

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
David,

There are so many good ones to choose from and there are so many that are good for different reasons.  There are some good ones that ease you into the course and there are some like Crump's 1st that whack you upside the head as a welcome of things to come.  There aren't many openers with a more difficult approach shot than you'll find at Pine Valley.

Doug Wright

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
Cherry Hills--for the history and envisioning doing the same yourself.

A couple close by but totally different: Royal County Down with many milling about and a beaufitul fairway ahead marked by a large dune left, and Ardglass over the inlet.

Royal Aberdeen was really cool too.

I've never played The Old Course despite many attempts to do so. It has to be thrilling to tee it up there.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

JSlonis

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 01:22:01 PM »
Doug,

I'd have to say that in all the years I've been playing, standing on the 1st tee at TOC and hitting that first tee shot was one of the very best experiences I've had in golf.

mike_malone

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »
 Now that we have lowered the first tee close to its original level and restored the left greenside bunker to one huge visually intimidating hazard (even from the tee!!!) instead of two bunkers #1 at Rolling Green will rise in player's opinions. The green is still the same as ever---inscrutable!
AKA Mayday

Matt MacIver

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
I think Gleneagles Kings has a mix of both (easy and hard) schools.  The tee shot provides ample room to miss driver rigth and still have a decent lie - a nice way to ease into the round.  But with the green perched atop the hill, your second with a long iron is no picnic.  Miss the green anywhere and you'll be hard pressed to get up and down, given the severe back-to-front green.  

Anthony Gray

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »

Matt,

Great call. The visuals from the first tee are great. The large bunker on the hill looks very intimidating but not usually in play, but it does have an impact by making the player play his secound long.

Good choice,

Anthony

Lester George

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
The Old White is tops in many peoples minds.  I think it is very good as an opener.

Lester

Anthony Gray

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
The first at Dornoch was one I remember most.  It seemed a driver was too aggressive, yet laying back could get you in trouble as well, I like that the pressure was put on you the minute you stepped on the tee, and it was an intimidating stage as well given the tee's proximity to the clubhouse and others milling about.

The first at Cruden Bay is very similiar but a little more demanding.

Anthony

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2008, 11:32:01 PM »
I think Gleneagles Kings has a mix of both (easy and hard) schools.  The tee shot provides ample room to miss driver rigth and still have a decent lie - a nice way to ease into the round.  But with the green perched atop the hill, your second with a long iron is no picnic.  Miss the green anywhere and you'll be hard pressed to get up and down, given the severe back-to-front green.  

Matt
I dont know about you , but the last time I missed my tee shot right on the Kings , it was a chop out sideways .

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2008, 11:56:34 PM »
1..I believe that our affinity for the first at Andy's Old Course parallels Tom Doak's similar affection for Crystal Downs.  It's not the hole, but the reality that we are playing a certain course.  It's a football field, for God's sake!

2..What about our Canadian brethren?  Any candidates from the Great North?

3..I'm sure there was a three...ahh, middle age!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:45 AM »
The first at Dornoch was one I remember most.  It seemed a driver was too aggressive, yet laying back could get you in trouble as well, I like that the pressure was put on you the minute you stepped on the tee, and it was an intimidating stage as well given the tee's proximity to the clubhouse and others milling about.

Anthony

Not really, Anthony, but nice try!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »
There have been some terrific candidates mentioned and to that group I'd add the first at Prairie Dunes and the first at Plainfield, but despite those as well as my love for the first holes at Merion, at Pine Valley, at Crystal Downs, at Kingsley Club, at St. Andrews, and at Garden City, only Jimmy Murratt has it correct.

The best opening hole in golf is found at Sand Hills, no question.

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32:52 AM »

Anthony

Anthony

The 1st at Dornoch and Cruden Bay are alike?  How so?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Anthony Gray

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »

Anthony

Anthony

The 1st at Dornoch and Cruden Bay are alike?  How so?

Ciao

Sean,

Caution of the tee. OB left and gorse right. Secound shot is better short than long. Driver may not be the best play.

Anthony

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »
As people on here know I love Cruden Bay dearly , but I detest the first hole .

I cant think of another opening hole that sits so awkward with me .

I can never wait to get it out of the way .

Mark Pearce

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 11:19:15 AM »

Having taken a 10 there in the open competition a number of us played before BUDA this year and that from a drive straight down the niddle, that's a position I can wholly support.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »

Having taken a 10 there in the open competition a number of us played before BUDA this year and that from a drive straight down the niddle, that's a position I can wholly support.

Brain and Mark,

Shame on you. How could enyone not love everything about Cruden Bay. ;D ;D

Anthony

Jim Tang

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:55 AM »
I'll second the first at Blackwolf Run - River.  Tremendous par 5, especially from the tips.

I like the first at The General at Eagle Ridge Resort.  Awesome, dramatic downhill par 4.

I haven't seen Royal County Down's operner, but have heard it is great.  I'll find out this coming summer.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
Long Cove has a great opening hole.

I'll also second Cuscowilla's opener as one of interest.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
The best opening holes that I have played

NGLA
Spyglass
Prairie Dunes
Portmarnock
Royal County Down
The Old Course

Ordinarily I like to be eased into the round, but I think all of these do a great job of introducing you to the course you're playing.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2008, 10:38:20 PM »
I'll toss out Black Mesa.  My buddy FREAKED OUT when he saw that mountain in front of him (my fault I didn't prep him ahead of time...too bad we weren't playing for $$!).  He could have carried it but psyched himself out, slicing two which didn't carry the crest and had to drop, over, with me.  If "best" means "mental", than BM merits discussion.  The only other course I've played that has a similar look is T-Road. 

How about a gentle one?  Mid-Pines 1st was awfully inviting, a wide, downhill fairway which looked so wide you could just swing away, knowing the roll would give you all the distance you needed.  Perhaps not, but what a comfortable opening driver!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 01:19:59 AM »
Peter, keep in mind that "best" does not necessarily mean tough. I agree w/ TD, the first at Garden City is a wonderful opener and not demanding in the sense of long and stressful. It does require thought and is a good "wake up" call for the golfers intellect. The 1st at Riviera is a wonderful opener. The hole is not long by modern par 5 standards and quite reachable for the tiger, but that green!!! Rustic Canyon is another really good "warm up" hole that is not overly difficult, it just asks you to pay attention with a layup or if you choose to go for it.

David,

I like your definition here and will even go so far as to say a good opener to me is one that really sets the stage for what to expect out the next 17 ahead.

That said, my vote goes to Black Mesa.  That opener says you're gonna have to think your way around this course carefully.  And the rest of the course does not disappoint in that regard.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised Pasa isn't on here with how many great holes it has, but the opener clearly tells you right away what you're in for.  Dicey greens and some tricky bunkers.

I don't understand why Pebble would be on here though.  That one would not make it in my book.

Good call on Rustic.  Very indicative of what lies ahead.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Abe Summers

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 06:58:34 AM »
The first at the Spring City Lake Course in China is a par 5, visually deceiving from the tee with a wide canted fairway, and yet I saw person after person lose their golf ball right and left.  Very nice opening hole.  Shanghai Links first hole is also remarkably interesting, if a very short dogleg right par 4 and then a tiny diagonal green with high hills. 

The problem with playing in a lot of outings recently is that I have been in shotgun starts and haven't started on the first when I play at other courses.  :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back