News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Golf's best openng holes
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
I have been looking at alot photos and hole descriptions this holiday season and came across 2 holes that struck me as great holes unto themselves, but as openers, I can't imagine either of them being surpassed. While they are both quite different in nature and look great to me for entirely different reasons, I have not been to either as they are both in the UK.

The first is a beaut and has been talked about before here along with the rest of the course. The tee shot, the first the player is asked to make for the day, is not unlike the final tee shot a player is asked to make at the more illustrious Pebble Beach. I'm talking of course of Macrahanish. Not only because of it's sheer beauty, but I'm quite sure that as an opener, the test is daunting when one hasn't sufficently warmed up. What a hole!

The second is also in the UK and in another corner of the isles. A scene of many Opens, it's known for some of it's other holes, but it's opener caught my attention. Straight away at about 440 yds, the hole has a singular fw bunker in the middle of the fw that must be contended with. But the work does not stop there. 3 bunkers guard the front, so obviously a player would want to take enough to clear them, but the green slopes from front to back, so if one is overly cautious with club selection the player will be fighting to save par. I'm talking of Sandwich in Kent and the hole to me looks to be a stern test for a player who isn't sure what game he has shown up to the first tee with and some touch with his approach is being required right away.

I'm sure there are others such as Muirfiled and Aronimink that are worthy of mention. What are some more of the greatest openers in the game?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Deucie Bies

Re: Golf's best openng holes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
Oakmont #1.  Long par 4 downhill with a green that is very difficult to hold.  It can ruin your round very quickly.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
Blackwolf Run, Crystal Downs, and Kingsley Club are among my favorite openers. Wolf Run's is a good one as well--personally I like CPC teeing off over the hedge as well because its unique, but I can see how others might not like that as well--I think the rest of that hole is fantastic.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:50:44 PM »
David,

You are right, the first at Muirfield is worth a mention.  A narrow fairway flanked by deep rough which, in the prevailing facing wind makes the left fairway bunker almost attractive, then a long (or medium, if the wind is quiet) iron to a well bunkered green.  In the seniors open last year it averaged over 5 shots to play it, many of the pros couldn't reach that fairway into a wind that, on the first couple of days, made 4 a truly excellent score.

The first at Machrihanish is less likely to result in a big number but the safer you play, the harder par gets.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »
The first at Huntingdon Valley.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
David:

The opening hole motif can vary dramatically.

Some courses open with a real terror to the round.

Some prefer to "ease" the player into the round.

Some prefer to max out on the fun meter.

I can provide examples of those I prefer depending upon one's preference.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »

David ,

I think this is a great topic. As I have stated in the past I would prefer the opening hole to be a easy par. We can look at the grandaddy of them all TOC as the best example of the perfect opening hole. Width of the tee and a receptive green to allow the golfer confindance for the rest of th round. Let the player feel good of the first tee, it dictates the rest of the round.

Anthony

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »
WAIT!  The first at TOC is the perfect opening hole?  In whose book?  Its fairly penal second shot (and possibly third, if your putt is too strong) doesn't strike me as perfect.  In fact, it is my candidate for the weakest hole on the outward nine.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
I would volunteer that the first on the New Course is a better hole than the opener on the Old.  Much like the Black v. Red debate at Bethpage, the New is a much better course than we credit it for being.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
  In his writings Crenshaw loves the first hole at TOC because of the angles. The angles for the approach are very unappreciated to the unexperienced golfer.

Anthony

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »
#1 at Sand Hills has everything you could want in a great par 5 opener.  Strategically, you can play as aggressively as you dare with the tee shot, the further left you go the better chance you have to get close or reach with your second shot.  But, you must be precise with your approach as there is trouble short, left and right.  

And, there are few more beautiful spots than the first tee at Sand Hills.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Golf's best opening holes
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »
Now, on to my candidates from the USA.  Remember we are talking "best," an open-ended adjective if ever there was one:

Whistling Straits, Straits course;
Bandon Trails;
Arcadia Bluffs;
Fox Chapel;
Crag Burn;

Five are nice to start.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »
Anthony, how about the unexperienced writer...or is it inexperienced?  I'm certain that if I played Old Course a good bit, I'd begin to see angles.  Currently I see a pitch over a ditch, for an opening hole, quite a bi*#& !!!!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 07:03:16 PM »

Ronald,

I agree with you that the first at the NEW COURSE is a good opening hole. But the "goose bumps" at the first at TOC and the layout is superior.

Respectfully,

Anthony

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 07:16:52 PM »
I'll see your respect and raise you a dose of diffidence...I admire your spirit and your defense of Old's opener.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 07:33:36 PM »
#1 at Sand Hills has everything you could want in a great par 5 opener.  Strategically, you can play as aggressively as you dare with the tee shot, the further left you go the better chance you have to get close or reach with your second shot.  But, you must be precise with your approach as there is trouble short, left and right.  

And, there are few more beautiful spots than the first tee at Sand Hills.

That's my pick as well, although I really love the opener at Tobacco Road (over the top though it may be).
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »
Its almost cliche now, but SpyGlass #1. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »

Prestwick Number 1 enyone?

Anthony

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »
Let me be the first to throw a bit of cold water on the notion of Machrihanish's 1st as being a great golf hole, or among the best opening holes in golf.

Granted:

-- The setting is incomparable, with the ocean off to the left and pure dunesland links off on the horizon. The sense of anticipation on the tee is terrific.

-- The strategy of the tee shot itself is quite good (although hardly unique) -- bite off as much as you choose. The four pot bunkers lined up on the far side of the fairway, on the line of a well-struck safe shot, add to the strategic challenge of the tee shot.

-- The nature of the "Cape" tee shot is rewarded, because the bolder tee shot -- both in distance and the willingness to hug the left side of the fairway -- is rewarded with the better approach shot than the safer shot that chews off less and stays away from the beach.

-- The beach runs alongside the entire length of the hole, adding some level of discomfort to the second shot.

However:

-- The green, oddly to me, is angled away from the beach. A true Cape hole, which the 1st resembles, would have a green perched much closer to the danger of the beach and water beyond. Instead, the 1st green is set away from the beach.

-- The land the hole traverses is (relatively) tame, compared to the rollicking fairways that follow, especially on Machrihanish's front nine. The safe player, opting for a tee shot away from the ocean and beach, is left with a longer shot, yes, but one over fairly routine terrain and a green that's both open and receptive. True, an approach from the left side of the fairway is better, but an approach from the right side isn't strewn with too much danger.

-- The green is quite tame, again compared to what's to follow at Machrinanish. It's a relatively flat affair, with none of the dramatic contouring seen on several of the course's other greens. Both the terrain of the hole, and the green, are out of character with what's to follow.

Machrihanish is well-known for its front nine, generally viewed as the better of the two nines. It features eight par 4s among the first nine holes, including the 1st. I'd put the 1st -- maybe -- in the top five of those eight par 4s on the front nine.

Or, to put it another way (and to crib from the recent "three-hole stretch" thread), I wouldn't put the 1st in any of my top-tier three-hole stretches at Machrihanish. The 1st is a very good hole, and a terrific setting. But great or best to me implies nearly flawless, and I'm not sure the 1st lives up to that standard.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 11:00:40 PM »
Lets give credit where credit is due: The 1st hole at Plainfield. It's one of the best.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
1st at Yeamans Hall.  The tee shot is wide enough to give the golfer some leeway on the first swing of the day.  The golfer who is still a little tight has plenty of room to the left.  However, this leaves a blind approach over the Principal's Nose.  The more confident golfer can hug the trees on the right.  This is riskier, but it leaves a clean look to the green over the dirt entrance road.  The double-plateau green is the most distinctive on the golf course and serves as a perfectly wild start to a very fun Seth Raynor layout.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 12:26:22 AM »
Andy nailed it, the first at The Downs is one of the best.

The intimacy found on this hole is felt repeatedly throughout the front nine.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 12:31:07 AM »
i thought that machrihanish was the best according to most.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »
I can't say it's the best in the world, but the opening hole at the Old White at The Greenbrier is probably the best opening hole I've played.  Teeing off right beside the tennis courts with the restaurant right there, plus a stout, fair long par four just gets everything off on the right foot.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Rob Rigg

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »
First hole at Summit in TO is one of my favorites.

Long par 4 into a valley - the hill on the left can kick you ball down into the fairway, trees come into play too far right. The drive is blind over the edge from the blue and white tees (just make a good swing). The second is intimidating, especially if you have a long iron after hitting a mediocre drive. Elevated green with bunker on the front right side and a front to back tilt. Rough to the left and back, and a large tree to the right protecting the second tee.

Maybe a bit daunting for a first hole, but it throws down the gauntlet from the start - I love it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back