News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

The map at the bottom of the page in the link would make for an interesting discussion of which country has the best architecture.  Philly / Long Island making it kind of tough on California, although they do get Bandon.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

Phil McDade

As a Wisconsin resident, I guess I'll have to learn to sing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOzG7bBylRo

Tom_Doak

A fascinating article.

25 years ago, when our economy was suffering and Japan was booming, the project manager of the job I was working on thought he had the answer to everyone's needs ... "We could sell Hawaii to the Japanese."

And then we could have bought it back from them five years ago, and we'd both have been better off, again.

Today, though, there are not a lot of buyers out there on any level.

Carl Rogers

I read the WSJ just about cover to cover everyday.  (I do not drink their editorial kool-aid).  With the Ruble being devalued just about daily, the Russian government (Putin) is the one that has been profoundly de-stabilized.

Please note that the author is KGB or former KGB (what's the difference????)

What if the USA was dependent on the political fortunes of Bush???
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:23:26 PM by Carl Rogers »

J_ Crisham

At least I won't have to learn another language if this happens to IL . I wonder if Blagojovich would be the deal breaker if he is still in office? ;)
                                                                 Jack
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:35:15 PM by Jack Crisham »

Ryan Farrow

Won't need to worry about getting visas to China anymore.....

Carl Rogers

My first comment on this thread was a bit reactionary, but as to its central thesis, I do stand by it.  I am someone who tends to be fairly critical of our own country, but bristles a bit when others see our demise.

That article in the WSJ was given far too high a  profile.

It is much easier to characterize the problems of other countries as problems bigger or worse than your own.  However, I am sure than many of you are aware that life expecatency in Russia is decreasing and how the price of oil needs to be about 25% higher than it is today for the Russian government to pay its bills.  The Ruble and the Russian Equity market has been badly mauled since the invasion fo Georgia.

Bob Jenkins

Tim,

Interesting that such an article would end up in the WSJ. From the perspective of a Canadian (we watch you guys from above the 49th!) it is far more likely we could be swallowed up by the US than vice versa. Alberta already thinks it is part of the US. BC can much more easily align with Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho and Montana than it can with New Brunswick and Ontario. Quebec does not love us or the rest of Canada. It is far more likely that the opposite could occur.

But if I am wrong, I lay claim to all of the Bandon resort, Jordan Wall, Sean Leary and the boys in Oregon.

We are not interested in Wisconsin as we have enough cheese.

Bob Jenkins

Ronald Montesano

Northern Neighbor Bob:

The rest of New York State will gladly trade New York City for Ontario.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back