News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Olympic Club Lake Course -- Robert Trent Jones & Tom Weiskoph
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
If Pat wants it to be lengthened it will be, nobody says no to this superintendent.  Almost all the holes have already been lengthened, and others are impossible.

Several other holes will be lengthened

1 - no (impossible)
2 - no (already done)
3 - no (already done)
4 - no (already done, butchered)
5 - no (already done, butchered)
6 - TBD, but likely (not likely, its a done deal)
9 - yes, new tee drawn up (yes)
10 - TBD (already done)
11 - no
12 - no (already done, butchered)
13 - no
14 - no
15 - no (already done)
16 - maybe (probably)
17 - the hole has already plenty of flexibility on length as a par 4
18 - no (if he could find a way he would do it)

IMO, that is a lot of "no's" for the words "several other holes" to be correct.

IMO he has already done enough.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:04:00 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
Rick-

A good start, I have done some research on the courses at O-Club, but it has not been my main focus. To correct some of the above…

The original Lakeside Course was designed by Walter Fovargue, Wilfreid Reid, and James A. Donaldson and it opened in late 1917. The course was pretty long and some questioned the locations of the greens, most were of the blind nature. I’m on my vacation and don’t have all of my info nearby, but I think the course measured over 6,400 yards and played to a par of 74 or even higher.

In 1921, Herbert Fowler was reconstructing the old Lakeside course and planned on adding another course and had tried to get the club to buy some additional property. In 1922, Watson would take over the job and the club had purchased additional land for the second course. Whiting was involved more with the construction of the course and should be credited with trying to grow bent grass at OC. Later after the holes were damaged Whiting drew up some plans that the club looked over. In 1925-6 the club had Max Behr come up and look over the plans and he may have made some subtle changes to Whitings plan, but the credit as I see it should stay with Whiting. Interesting to note that nearly at the same time Behr was designing Capuchino Golf Club(NLE)(just across the street from Greenshills GC in Millbrea) and brought in Whiting as his construction super.

The rest of your info is outside of my window of operation, hope this helps.

Tully

BCrosby

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
Sean -

Do we know much about Capuchino GC?

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back