News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Are Inverted Bunkers an original design concept?
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:43:09 PM »
Every once in a while someone gets on here and asks what are the new design concepts exclusive to the US, or post WW II, or of the modern (with definition of modern) age. The thread originator is usually a newbie, and all the old hands on the site shout him/her down with "There are no new design concepts in golf!"

Well, I may not be the greenest greenhorn on this site, but I certainly am not as far travelled and experienced as many, so I have an excuse if it turns out the same answer applies.

Are Inverted Bunkers as, for example, seen at Las Palomas Links #6 an original design concept?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Sweeney

Re: Are Inverted Bunkers an original design concept?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:44 PM »
Not exactly sure what you are looking for but there are a bunch of inverted bunkers at National Golf Links.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »
They musty have been at one time...

I assume you mean convex bunkers, or areas of sand raised above ground level. I've seen them in lots of places.

I believe (someone can look it up) that the definition of "bunker" in The rules of Golf says sometihing to the effect that on is an area, often a hollow, from which turf has been removed and replaced with sand or the like. The words "often a hollow," if I am accurate, would indicate that bunkers need not be concave. Think of a small sand hill after all shrubs and grass has been removed.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »
 8) I guess there are no new design concepts in golf..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
Not exactly sure what you are looking for but there are a bunch of inverted bunkers at National Golf Links.

Are you saying they are so insignificant that CB MacDonald would not even mention them in Scotland's Gift?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »
They musty have been at one time...

I assume you mean convex bunkers, or areas of sand raised above ground level. I've seen them in lots of places.

I believe (someone can look it up) that the definition of "bunker" in The rules of Golf says sometihing to the effect that on is an area, often a hollow, from which turf has been removed and replaced with sand or the like. The words "often a hollow," if I am accurate, would indicate that bunkers need not be concave. Think of a small sand hill after all shrubs and grass has been removed.

Clearly lots of golf courses have sandy mounds. Do they have hills of loose sand rising out of the fairway and guarding greens? If so, I am curious as to where besides Las Palomas they would be found.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »

Clearly lots of golf courses have sandy mounds. Do they have hills of loose sand rising out of the fairway and guarding greens? If so, I am curious as to where besides Las Palomas they would be found.

17 approach to green at National

There are a bunch on the 9th fairway too off the top of my head. Needless to say there are others here that can answer in specifics.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
In the old days that last photo at National would've been all sandy mounds ... but it was just too hard to maintain and keep the sand from blowing around.  The sandy mounds are more open on the interior holes.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
Garden City features a few inverted bunkers as well.
jeffmingay.com

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »
Garland

Here are two threads on the topic:
"A Startling Convex Bunker"
"Convex Bunkers"

Mark

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »
Are Dunes a new concept?

Wild Horse #5 is such a convex bunker with fingers of sand and turf.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
Adam

No.  Mackenzie did them more than 100 years ago.

Mark

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
Garland Bayley:

Your question about convex sand mounds (bunkers) leads me to mention an interesting story regarding The Creek Club (Macdonald/Raynor 1922-24) on Long Island.

Not that long ago an article was found by H.J. Whigam in an old Town and Country magazine (of which Whigam was the Editor) that reviewed The Creek Club. In that article Whigam explained that in Raynor's opinion the 10th hole of The Creek was a better version of NGLA's Leven hole (#17).

We could just not understand the connection or similarity of The Creek's #10 hole to NGLA's #17 and that went on for over a year. And then one day completely out of the blue and unsolicited an old on-ground photograph was mailed to The Creek by an old man from Syracuse N.Y. who had apparently had this photo for decades.

That photo showed a massive convex sand mound (perhaps of 10,000 sf) that seemed to have been 9-10 ft high right at the left front of the 10th green.

Well, that certainly explained the similarity and connection of The Creek's 10th to NGLA's 17th and why Whigam and apparently Raynor referred to it (The Creek's #10) as a version of the Leven design.

Of course the next question became what happened to that massive convex sand mound on The Creek's #10 and why and when it was removed and of course the additional question of whether or not it could be restored to that hole.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:35:44 AM by TEPaul »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
Thanks Guys,

My education continues. :D

Thanks for the threads Mark.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »

Mike,

They probably got that idea from GCGC where CBM et. al. were members  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back