News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Is Colt Responsible
« on: December 27, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
for the state of heathland courses today?  We all know that the vast majority of heathland are now more or less a hybrid of heath and parkland, much to the demise of what made well drained heathlands attractive land to build courses over.  While browsing my latest Christmas gift, Creating Classics: The Golf Courses of Harry Colt, I noticed that Colt "...replaced much of the heather that bounded the fairways with planted pines..."  We know that Colt was not adverse to trees as it is thought he was the first to create tree plans for courses, often times courses which were originally much more wide open.  Did Colt fully realize the uniqueness of heathlands and how trees can easily alter the nature of the soil to make it less accommodating for golf?  Do folks know of any other instances where Colt removed heather in favour of trees?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

dsilk

Re: Is Colt Responsible
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »
sean
forgive my lack of knowledge (geez i wish i had a nickel for every time i said that...) what are the primary differences between the two- excepting heather vs tree plantings... are the primary differences in vegetation or are there elevation/ topo changes as well?
cheers

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »
sean
forgive my lack of knowledge (geez i wish i had a nickel for every time i said that...) what are the primary differences between the two- excepting heather vs tree plantings... are the primary differences in vegetation or are there elevation/ topo changes as well?
cheers

Dave (of the Olympics fame?)

I don't think there are real differences between heathland and parkland in terms of what can be designed on the land.  The big difference is in the drainage and and how well suited the turf is for golf.  I spose this may make heathland courses a bit easier to blend man-made features with natural features and possibly to create some steeper slopes where drainage may be a problem on a parkland course. I guess heathlands may also allow for better greens and again, perhaps more slopes and contours could be implemented due to better drainage, but I don't really know for certain.  For the most part, drainage and year round good conditions is THE difference and one can feel the difference when standing on the 1st tee.  Everything about the look is different - which is why its a shame to get homoginized hybrid courses being developed.  To be fair, many top clubs recognize this facr and are taking steps to reverse this trend.  I reckon this begs the question if folks in the UK don't feel a bit handcuffed by heathland courses.  Meaning there isn't a parkland course in the land which is in the calibre of the many great heathland courses.  After all this time and know how - why is this?  Why has it been left to the States to create nearly all the world's great parkland courses?  Are the well draining soils that important in terms of trying to define greatness?

Sorry, I seem to have more questions than answers!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »
"We all know that the vast majority of heathland are now more or less a hybrid of heath and parkland, much to the demise of what made well drained heathlands attractive land to build courses over."

Sean Arble:

So, are you saying the fact that Colt planted trees on open heathland golf courses was part of some demise of what originally made them well draining and attractive? Is that just your opinion or do you have some evidence that some back in that day when Colt did that felt the same?

dsilk

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »
very cool-  love the info...
thanks!
and yes, i was extremely fortunate to be a member of that squad....

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »
Great thread, Sean. I'll be very interested to see the opinions on this. I'll have to reread his Essays if anything is mentioned about thoughts on tree planting.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean_A

Re: Is Colt Responsible New
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »
"We all know that the vast majority of heathland are now more or less a hybrid of heath and parkland, much to the demise of what made well drained heathlands attractive land to build courses over."

Sean Arble:

So, are you saying the fact that Colt planted trees on open heathland golf courses was part of some demise of what originally made them well draining and attractive? Is that just your opinion or do you have some evidence that some back in that day when Colt did that felt the same?

Tom

I am not sure of what you are asking.  However, as natural woodland is the final product of heathlands if left unmanaged (at least in the Surrey/Berkshire/Sussex areas), it seems to me that if heather is cut back in favour of trees, especially as they occur in such large groupings on and around golf courses, then Colt was actually encouraging the demise of heathlands because soil nutrients become richer and more optimal for competing plants which don't thrive on what is essentially starved, poor heathland soil.  I spose the use of fertilizers and the end of grazing were also factors which encouraged the return of woodland over heathland.  This isn't a matter of opinion, its fact and it is very evident throughout the heathlands as compared to many, many old photos.   

People cite tree plans as a positive element Colt brought to the business, but I am not so sure it was very positive where heathlands were concerned or where parkland was concerned.  Not to throw the discussion sideways, but the original idea of a parkland course isn't anything like what we now think of parkland.  Trees were not nearly as much in evidence and the grand specimens could be used on their own as design features.  Now days, we have tree lined fairways, and worse yet, beautiful old oaks and elms surrounded by awful Scotch pines are some other awful specimen which robs the great specimen of its place of honour.  At least in the case of heathlands, was Colt killing the golden goose?

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 12:31:38 PM by Sean Arble »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back