News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

Re: Golf Digest Tom Doak Interview
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »
This was the best bit of the interview when asked about travel advice:

"Travel light. Most people carry way too much stuff, and it's a nuisance. Eat local. Eat seafood when you're near the sea and eat beef when you're in Nebraska.

Exactly.  I like, "after you think you've finished packing, take out half the clothes and bring twice the money."

Merry Christmas everybody.  Go Celts!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
Matt:

You are one of the guys who's made me think more about the long hitter -- because I am determined to build some bunkers that will cause you hardship, pardner.  :D  But, there have also been really good players chiming in here from time to time who have made me think more about them, even though you all have to understand that you're only 2% of the golf population and not everything needs to be designed around you.

As to your follow-up question -- no, I don't feel any need to build a "championship" course, if you mean one which will resist par in 72 holes of stroke play.  If I am ever asked to build a championship course I think it will be way different than what most architects try to do ... I would go back to what I remember of Pete Dye and the TPC at Sawgrass, which tried to force the players into making hard decisions, and to get them to play shots that showed off their complete talents instead of just hitting drivers and wedges all day.  (See my comments to Ian above.)  But I'm not worried about your conception of the Grand Slam, which is very different from my own.

As to your last question -- no.  I think that being a good driver of the ball has become much too easy nowadays, due to the equipment.  In the days of Norman or Nicklaus it was different, but today everyone on Tour hits the driver long, and they hit it straight, too.  So apparently it's not such a hard skill to master ... especially when you put the ball on a peg and have a flat stance.  I think that having a complete short game, and shotmaking in the wind, are both harder skills to master, and that's why I've always enjoyed building courses which gave a good player loads of room off the tee and yet still made it difficult to shoot a low number.  The only difference is that now I've decided I don't want to give those guys a free pass off the tee; I'm going to keep them guessing.

One last point -- as you alluded, there are some pieces of land where trying to build a 7500 yard course doesn't work well, due to the frequency of undulations in the ground and the size and shape of the property.  Pacific Dunes, in my opinion, was one of those.  It could be stretched out a little bit further than what it is, but beyond that it would be awkward, so we didn't bother.  And that turned out to be one of the things that people like about it ... the fact that it isn't brutally long and that a good round in calm conditions might yield a 68 instead of a 72, unlike many modern courses where a club pro would NEVER get under par from all the way back.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
Tom:

It does seem that firm and fast conditions are not common today but they do create the most challenging playing conditions for all level of players.  I was wondering how you would build a course to create such conditions if it is not on a piece of property which is usually windy? 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »

320-yard holes and 580-yard holes are the ones which will be most exciting to watch the pros play.  And yet most architects keep building 490-yard par-4's which are impossible for the amateur, but only difficult for the pros if they drive it into the rough.

Not many of us are going to travel half way around the world or across the US to play a course with a series of par 4s that are difficult to reach in two.

Anthony

Matt_Ward

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 12:17:57 AM »
Tom D:

Just a few comments -- many thanks for the detailed reply.

One of the things that many architects don't get is that with today's equipment shaping shots is a far harder proposition than with the old persimmons and balata balls.

If one simply creates golf courses with max length and the holes are fairly straight then it's just grip and rip. Golf courses that go simply with length for length's sake - are like baseball pitchers who think that throwing a straight fastball can get by power hitters -- they will on occasion get them but should the hitter ever connect the ball will be going a long ways over the fences.

One of the reasons why I am a huge fan of Winged Foot / West is how it holds up so well to modern players yet can still be playable for different types of handicaps.

Allow me to explain ...

I like courses that call upon a marriage of both length (when needed and called upon) and shaping a shot. WFW has a number of holes where you need sufficient length but because the holes turn 30-45 degrees in plenty of spots you need to work your ball in some sort of manner to stay on the short grass and provide the best angle into the hole.

In my mind, a great course has to have a major connection to the skill of total driving. If driving is simply treated as just another shot then the architect, in my mind, has missed the boat completely. I'm glad you have begun to think through your position in determining how best to incorporate driving into your designs. That doesn't mean to say it's not present but candidly from the courses of yours I have played to date -- save for the likes of Sebonack -- I find the driving aspect to be less of an issue for me to worry about. No doubt your desire to ramp up matters in and around the putting surfaces plays to your strengths as a player and your desire to make matters quite interesting when players encounter them when playing.

Tom, one of the threads I posted a few weeks back dealt with design differentiation and the need for architects to go outside "their box" in terms of what they are fully capable in doing. When I see the same "type" of course from a given architect I can see that they are simply trying to please a future client because of past work. Some are also not capable in going beyond the "formulaic" efforts they have done previously - as a result you get cloned versions of the same thing time after time after time. Familiarity does breed a certain comfort zone. That's why I am not a huge fan of Seth Raynor because the engineer aspect in him had the mindset that re-creating the same type of courses over and over would be just fine. I see that as rather limiting even though I do like a few of his efforts -- Fisher's Island and Camargo, come quickly to mind.

Getting back to my main point / re; Winged Foot. Architects can counter the outcomes found with today's drivers -- but they need to make players work the ball -- while still calling upon sufficient length when the need arises. Some players can do one thing well -- only the talented can do both on command.

Power is part of the game -- I salute you in trying to not allow this dimension to be too dominant -- emphasizing touch shots in and around the green is really a lost art and many of the old time designers realized this by the nature of their overall complexity which required sufficient plays in order to better understand how to handle such matters.

That's why I frown upon people who see wide fairways as the be-all / end-all. The reason behind that is often these players can't really hit the tee shot with the driver especially in mind. I think having wider fairways is important but positioning on such holes needs to be emphasized -- rather than just width for width sake.

Pete Dye was the first modern architect that made me stand up and notice what he was doing -- to get inside my head and cause me to think very carefully on what I was planning to do on the tee. Strong players have to have a degree of hesitancy because if you let them just crank it up without any worry the situation will become self obvious -- flip wedges and if they have any skill in that department and they will make a ton of birdies because they have simply overpowered the course.

One of your best holes I have played Tom is your par-5 3rd at Pac Dunes. The dual bunker complex -- one shorter, the other longer in the center of the fairway works very well. The player has to think it carefully depending upon wind conditions because no matter whether the wind is favorable or against -- you need to keep those bunkers in mind.

In regards to Dye again -- I like what Pete has done on occasion with the downhill short par-4's that encourage risk and the long uphill par-4's which require an approach with a club that will likely be in the mid-iron range save for the absolute longest of long hitters. There are many ways to get into the heads of longer hitters who happen to have a complete game -- no doubt the wherewithal to create such layouts with all players in mind can be tough given all the needs involved (see the related thread on playability as one such discussion).

I understand your desire to reach an audience that has been really turned off by the one dimension aspect of other architects -- the Trent Jones period as well as others such as Dick Wilson seemed to favor this school of thought. As you say in CG -- the "howard johnson" approach to design.

I admire the need for touch shots because this is a skill that can be downplayed by those who simply see distance as the only thing that matters. However, I also believe just as strongly that great driving of the ball needs to be incorporated because without out you only have one half of the complete puzzle.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »
This has turned into a fine thread/exchange, thanks gents.

Just an aside, I think one concept that doesn't get mentioned often enough is 'proportion', i.e. the relationship that ideally should exist between the length of an extra long Par 4, for example, and the size and shape and contours of its green.  It seems to me there are both aesthetic and shot-testing reasons to strive for this proper/balanced  proportion, but from what I can tell this gets harder and harder to pull off the longer the hole

Peter     

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 06:26:43 AM »
Matt:

I understand the difficulty for good players of a curved or angled fairway -- the most striking part of watching the boys at Cape Kidnappers was how straight they hit it -- and I've tried to incorporate more of that into our work the past 2-3 years.  I'll counter it with a hole like the 13th at Ballyneal, where the fairway is huge but there are bunkers out there at a certain distance which make you think.

At the same time, it's exceedingly rare to get to combine these strategies with mature trees such as at Winged Foot.  Most of the time modern sites are devoid of big trees, and when they do exist they're part of a forest, and nobody wants us to cut down any of the trees unnecessarily ... we might not even be allowed to by township ordinances.   And without the occasional tree, long hitters are just going to rip it over the corner of those "elbow" holes, and not worry too much about whether they hit it in the rough, which is why the occasional tree down the line or between the landing area and the green is so important as an enforcer.  If you're holding your breath for the next Winged Foot, unfortunately, you're probably going to have to wait a while.

So, two exit questions:

1.  Did you agree with me that driving the ball is not such a difficult skill to master any more, because of equipment?

2.  If you don't like seeing the same "formulaic" efforts from an architect, how come you're such a fan of Jim Engh's work?  His courses certainly all look like they come from the same playbook.  I know he's a bomb-and-gouge kind of player himself ... are you just enjoying the opportunities he provides to show off your ability to make a long carry?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 06:32:36 AM »
Peter:

I believe there is a place for "proportion" in golf from an esthetic standpoint, but I don't think there should be clear proportions for the size and difficulty of a green relative to an approach shot.  Most of the best long par-4's I've ever seen are fiendishly difficult around the green, forcing even a good player to think about playing safely instead of firing straight at the flag (or even the middle of the green).  That's essential if you want to sort out the great players from the merely good ones.  At the same time, the "B" players are going to be hitting their approaches from 50-100 yards (with their third shot), and from that distance the difficulty around the green is not unreasonable.

That's one area where having alternate tees has been bad for architecture.  Average players complain much more about those par 4-1/2 holes when they think they're entitled to hit the green in two.  In the old days they would have just played them as a three-shot hole, and often would have won them in a match, with a stroke in hand.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 07:11:40 AM »
You guys must be right, that equipment makes driving the ball straighter much easier.  Still, pro's don't hit more fairways than they did 30 or 20 years ago. 

Are the fairways more narrow now?  Is the penalty for missing the fairway not so great? 

e.g. it surprises me that Riviera -- by all counts a great strategic course --  has recently seen its winners hit less 50% or less of fairways.  Does driving accuracy not matter much there?  Or are the winners still hitting their drives in good places, even though they may not be in the fairway?   

Carl Rogers

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:48 AM »
really good thread

thank you

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
Jim N:

The pros have simply leveraged how straight the ball goes, so they can wind up and hit it harder and have the same accuracy.  Pros used to swing at about 90% of force ... with the driver now, a lot of them are swinging 100% as hard as they can.  And when they swing and miss, boy, they really miss.

But they don't care so much if they miss sometimes, because they're still 100 yards or less from the green with a wedge in their hands.

I have not looked at the Tour statistics much the last few years to see if hitting fairways correlates into winning.  To some extent it's not trackable, because the guy who is hitting fairways is probably also hitting his irons pure, and it could be the latter stat that makes him a winner, not the former.

BCrosby

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2008, 12:56:55 PM »
I recall reading something recently in which the USGA said that the stat for fairways hit on Tour correlated with nothing. It had no predictive value for GIR's, scoring, earnings or wins.

Which, obviously, suggests that missing the fw is not a very big deal for the pros. At least not with the current grooves.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:02:07 PM by BCrosby »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Tom, does that mean the equipment itself doesn't hit the ball further, or much further?  It just allows you to swing harder, and still maintain the same control?  

I'm real interested to learn why driving accuracy hasn't counted for much the past few years at Riviera.  Maybe it's the explanation you gave: the players are so close to the green, they are willing to miss more fairways.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
Tom:

A few replies ...

I like when architects incorporate the "turning point" dimension into the drive zone. Few really do it well -- you get the presumed classic school thought types who think simply having a 60-yard wide fairway works. It doesn't. It simply means a desire to grip and rip without further identifying anything other than who can beat the ball the farthest.

Ballyneal's 13th is a good example but let me mention a weaker version of a long hole there -- the 2nd. Yes, it's long and no doubt a bear when the wind comes out of the north -- but it's just crank it up and let it go. There's plenty of bob and weave on the fairway itself but simply adding one center-placed bunker in the 250-275 range would make the bigger hitter just think a bit more.

You ID WFW as being only able to do what it does through the usage of mature trees. No doubt there are trees on the property but if they were eliminated the substitution of rough and / or bunkers towards the favored side would work just as well.

The point is a very simple one -- architects need to have holes turn 30-45 degrees in some form or fashion in order to marry shot control with whatever distance the player can bring to the table. It takes real skill to do both things on one swing consistently.

As a long hitter -- I am always thinking of shortcuts when playing any hole. I am always thinking of seizing the hole by the throat and shaking it for what I want to get. Unless architects really understand the pivotal nature of what real first rate driving is about -- the desire to back-end the product with severe mounding and fierce putting contours is really only half the total equation in my mind. I also think some modern architects -- possibly yourself as well, have a real aversion to distance because it's something they might not don't possess with your own game.

Let me mention another issue -- the idea that good players can fly elbows. Tom, the angle I am speaking about is not 90 degrees -- it's only half that or even a bit less -- somewhere in the 30 to 45 degrees area. A classic example of that is the 18th at TPC / Sawgrass. The good player cannot bomb it over the corner of that hole because the corner is not at right angles or close to it. You do need to work the ball and allow it to follow the flow of the way the hole goes. Those who don't opt for the aggressive play off the tee with that type of shot control can always bail out to the right -- however, those doing that will only leave themselves a far longer and more demanding second shot to the target. The weaker player is not impacted -- they will likely play to the right with their tee shot, hit short of the green and be left with a fairly straightforward pitch shot of 40-50 yards. The easy bogey can be attained but par is not automatic for the good player. That's the kind of balance I am speaking about and what you mentioned how higher handicap types can do likewise when playing at severe places like WF.

If trees cannot be used or incorporated there are various other defense mechanisms that can be used -- angling greens in such a way that a miss to the more favored side will result in a more daunting approach. Even if WFW didn't have trees on a number of the holes -- if you missed too far when attempting to get the best angle you would be screwed by the error in far more ways than you might imagine. I have no problem with courses creating unkept area with ragged areas where offline shots may go. The idea of having uniform rough or the traditional placement of bunkers needs to be altered so that a player with sufficient length is uncertain of the way the ball will lie. Bethpage Black used to have such areas until the desire to create a wall-to-wall greenway throughout the property took hold just prior to the '02 US Open.

Tom, keep this in mind -- when Tillie first opened WF the size of the trees was nowhere near what it later became -- however, WF was always a stern test because you still needed to angle tee shots into favored positions and the tight nature of the pear-shaped greens allowed for playability for those not able to reach them in regulation because should they be short in two blows the wherewithal to hit a 40-50 yard 3rd shot would not be that demanding when compared to the guy who's looking ot reach the target in regulation. The WF model is still a very apt one and can be done by those who see what it offers.

Let me remind you and others Bethpage Black is more about the straight ahead power model. There are far fewer holes at BB that turn in the manner one sees at WFW and for that reason, among a few others, I see WF as the more complete examination of golf. Try to realize that none other than Tiger Woods has been baffled since encountering WF in the majors he has played there to date.

In answering your two questions ...

No, I don't agree because driving is the first shot to be played and therefore has a meaning -- one just cannot add length for length's sake. That's what Augusta did and frankly it only played into the hands of Tiger and those very few souls.

Modern technology has certainly permitted the wherewithal to hit straighter shots because of the size of the clubheads and the nature of the balls used - but there are tools for architects to use to once again make driving of the ball the ultimate skill it needs to be.

In regards to the second question - Tom, you make the incorrect assumption that while I do like a number of Engh designs I have been quick to point out a number of items I have found to be less so -- the severe nature of what he did with Sanctuary placed Engh on the map for those with difficult sites but I found the totality of what is there at Sanctuary to be far less so. The storyline there is more about man overcoming a site than what the actual site produced in terms of meaningful and long lasting architecture.

I have also stated that I found the desire to provide containment mounding in and around a number of the putting surfaces and even drive areas to be a redundant feature that's carried to excess -- a good example being the 200-yard par-3 type with its heavy emphasis on high mounds that surround the target -- the 17th at Lakota coming quick to mind but there are others. The 6th at Pradera being another that happens. There are other examples I can mention.

I have mentioned the qualities Engh has provided with his risk and reward par-5 holes. Many of them are well done and provide the possibility for eagle but also double or triple bogey. The 16th at Black Rock being one of Engh's best holes I have ever played. I've also mentioned the fun and strategic elements of the 18th at Lakota Canyon which some on this site view in terms less than endearing. Yet, I have also mentioned my dislike for what he attempted to do with the closer at True North. If anything Engh has shown a weakness on the long par-4 front -- although there are a few examples that run counter to that -- the 11th at Pradera being one of them. One would think that being a "bomb and gouge" player as you described him that he would have done better on this front.

On the flip side, Engh has done far less of the containment mounding and other such things with his most recent public access course like Four Mile Ranch. He has allowed the natural character -- an item you believe is critical to any course design, to be the center point of the design there. In fact, there are no bunkers present and given the wherewithal of today's skilled player to render most bunkers useless I think it works especially well and allows the natural character of that property to take center stage.

To his credit, Engh has made it a point to evolve his work with a number of his newest efforts -- I see that desire to evolve as a fundamental element in demonstrating the capacity to go beyond the mere spitting out of previous efforts time after time.

I don't see any architect's work as bulletproof. I have often mentioned Engh's name on GCA because far too often the groupie mentality has taken hold with the promotion of just a few architects who provide some really good stuff as well. I like what Engh has done in the public realm because he has provided a number of designs -- many of them are located in Colorado -- which are fun to play and clearly affordable for nearly all income levels.

Tom, try to keep this in mind - my tastes in golf design run the gamut. I am not one of those zombie-like cult drones who only see one type of golf design as the be-all / end-all. I am rather pragmatic in what I like and I think my listing of courses to play will not suit others and I free admit that. I am just as comfortable playing a Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV with its wild ride architecture and can enjoy the detailed and compelling work you provided at Rock Creek. They are vastly different courses but I often like food choices that are far different - from a good ole American steak that's first rate to rather hot and spicy Thai food. In many ways, I follow the dictum Tom Paul frequently mentions - with his one big world theory for architecture.

Let me finish with this -- Tom, you have made it a point to almost run away from courses that can be difficult from the tee perspective -- are you simply creating courses that tend to favor your game -- with the artful chip and pitch shots and the wherewithal to demonstrate your self-admitted prowess with the flat stick?

I wonder why the need to expand your design motif now? Do you feel your work product needs to go beyond what you have done from previous works? You may dismiss my contention you are seeking a Grand Slam of sorts but I admire people who can avoid the easy to apply tag lines of sameness. As I said before, I salute the really top tier Raynor works but find much of his other projects to be carbon copy lesser versions with little and no imagination applied. Why should anyone play a future design when the far better originals highlight the case in much stronger terms.

Tom, think back of the classic photo taken with Mackenzie watching Jones drive the ball on the soon-to-be-created 8th hole at Augusta. I wonder if Alister wanted to get a better handle on what strategic elements he wanted to include at Augusta and having Jones serve in the player's chair gave him a far better appreciation of what would ultimately be the final product at Augusta.

Who knows, maybe you and I can collaborate on combining those two elements into a course which can do both. ;D

Forgive my poor stab at humor ...

Ian_L

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
And when they swing and miss, boy, they really miss.

But they don't care so much if they miss sometimes, because they're still 100 yards or less from the green with a wedge in their hands.

And, in popular tournaments with long rough, 30 yards off the fairway where spectators are walking is often much better than 5 yards off the fairway.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »
Matt:

If / when I do get to talk with Tiger Woods, this subject is one of the things I am most interested to hear his thoughts on.  He has both the long driving game AND the short game and I'm curious how to hear he thinks the two should be balanced.

Your redesign of the second hole at Ballyneal is fairly useless, because the fairway landing area is almost invisible from the tee, and it falls off to an even lower and invisible level right where you have suggested your bunker.  And we had already done more earthwork on that hole than any other, just so you could see SOMETHING off the tee.  Sometimes reality just blows away theory, pardner.

Also, I worked for Mr. Dye for four years, so you don't have to explain his fairway angles to me.  They aren't 45 degrees or even 30 ... they are about 15 to 20, so that if you aim too safely on a lateral line, you're liable to go through the fairway into the rough on the other side.  It's extremely effective.  However:

a)  That repetition of angles gives his courses a sameness;

b)  It made him tend to use long waste bunkers or water on the inside of the hole -- whereas I don't like artificial ponds and big unnatural bunkers, and I am trying to make my courses look different than Pete's; and

c)  My clients don't want the same kind of thing that Pete's clients want.  In fact, I think it's fair to say that for a lot of my clients, Pete Dye would have been the LAST architect they hired, even though that's a mistake on their part.

Matt, the last thing I want is for my next course to be perceived as the same as my last one, so I am always trying to do something a different than last time -- and I think I've avoided that trap pretty well so far.  However, in general, I would say one of my primary goals for every course is for golfers to find them FUN TO PLAY.  I think that has given me a different set of priorities than Mr. Dye, or most of my contemporaries, and it would be pretty stupid of me to lose sight of that in trying to complete your "Grand Slam" ... just like it would have been pretty stupid of Jack Nicklaus to assume he couldn't win at Augusta without learning to hit a rope hook off the tee.

When I do decide the time and place is right for a true championship test, I'll be glad to let you know where.  There's someone in Korea who has asked me for just that -- but I don't know if the project will really happen.  Whenever it is, I hope to pull out some new tricks that you've never thought about.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2008, 04:12:32 PM »
Tom:

Yes, a conversation between the two of you would be quite interesting.

The thing with Tiger is that there are few sites he has played well in which he needs to marry power and shaping of the tee shots. In so many cases, he just blasts the ball and proceeds from there. Witness the recovery plays when he won the US Open at Torrey.

Arguably, Tiger has to be one of the worst total drivers among the game's elite players. Nicklaus and Norman, to name just two, are far better on this front and they had to contend with equipment far less reliable than what you see today.

I saw Tiger at WF and even at Westchester and his record at those two layouts clearly pales when held against what he's achieved elsewhere. Credit both of the designs with rewarding power but not to the point where anything goes is permitted.

Let me further highlight the 2nd at Ballyneal since you so quickly dismissed my suggestion. The center-placed bunker need not be visible -- it can be placed in the more optimum landing area -- likely left center -- and make players -- especially those with the added distance advantage -- to give proper pause. Or one could have included a rough-like center-placed creation one sees with the 8th at Quaker Ridge. Right now -- it's just a grip and rip situation from the tee. No doubt when played into a northerly wind the distance dimension changes things dramatically.

Tom, you are under the assumption that people needed to see "SOMETHING" (caps you provided) -- for the hole in question. So be it.

You're right "sometimes reality just blows away theory, pardner. Right now, again from a limited on day perspective, I just see the 2nd at Ballyneal as a bombs away and proceed ahead type hole.

Thanks for clarifying my degree angles -- I like what Dye did on this and a few other architects I have seen have tried to throw this forward so that the driving dimension is enhanced -- rather than made into a predictable bomb and gouge flavor.

I never suggested a clear repetition. You are overstating what I see as a remedy when needed -- not just done over and over again. Overkill in any direction can be a bit much -- just like having mindless wide fairways followed by green contours that mimic a turbulent day on the ocean. I've seen that style by a few modern day architects and it gets old just as fast as what Dye did.

I never lobbied for you or other architects to use the same styles as other architects. The issue is one of how to increase the skills tied to driving the ball. Having angled fairways such as one finds at WF is one example that helps preserve that skill while recognizing the gains modern technology has provided.

Tom, try to realize this -- many architects think they want to do something different but old habits are hard to move away from. It's like the comic who keeps telling the same old jokes -- he knows the punch lines and he knows the audience will laugh at the same retelling. Moving on to new ideas -- is never easy and clearly it entails a bit of risk. Raynor simply repeated what he learned early on from Macdonald and it worked out well save for the reality that it was one cloned version following another. Those who are Raynor devotees don't see the repetition in this manner because they relish those types of courses. I see it as a very limited capacity to do something beyond what's been done previously.

Design differentiation is a difficult concept for architects to realize. I have to say this -- many architects don't view themselves in the same manner as outsiders do. I said this on my last post - I consider myself as someone with very pragmatic tastes in design. But, I do want to see architects expand their creativity -- I give no quarter to any architect -- whether it be Jim Engh, Rees Jones, Jack Nicklaus or Tom Doak. I salute those works that I see as being above and beyond what's been done previously. In some cases, it works -- it other cases it's clear certain architects are one trick pony's and that's fine in that limited sense of their capacity to stretch themselves.

I don't disagree the fun element needs to be front and center. However, Tom, just try to realize that a slavish tendency to only build courses geared towards green contours and the like while doing far less on the drive dimension gets old fairly fast too. You do have groupies on this site and clearly they will hold in shock and awe anything that comes forward from certain designers -- yourself included.

In your last post, you seem to think I am calling you out to abandon your desire to keep the fun meter and then create some hideous over-the-top torture track. Far from it.

The last thing we need in golf is more "howard johnson" type golf design one saw in the last era with so many Trent Jones and Dick Wilson designs. They were clearly formulaic - with a few exceptions -- and it became nothing more than an assembly-line version of one following the next.

Great driving and great putting skills would be something I'd like to see. No doubt the more demanding the drive capacity the needed adjustments must also take place to allow the higher handicap types some wiggle room. I see the model of Winged Foot as being a good place for some additional study. You can only get near the pins at Winged Foot with stellar driving and iron play -- at the same time, the high handicap types can lay-up in front of many of the holes and play short pitches to secure their pars or make no worse than bogey.

I'll be watching to see what you and others do on this front.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »
Matt - I'm enjoying and benefitting from your exchanges with Tom. But fwiw, I disagree with a point you've made on this thread and on several others in the past, and I think it's a pretty fundamental difference in the way we see things. You wrote:

"I see that desire to evolve as a fundamental element in demonstrating the capacity to go beyond the mere spitting out of previous efforts time after time."

I don't think that an artist-craftsman needs to evolve, nor that he/she needs to demonstrate this evolution to the outside world.  (In fact, I think that a true and significant evolution would be the least demonstrable evolution of all, and wouldn't present itself as such except to the keenest and most insightful of outsiders.  If it did so present itself, it'd probably be merely a surface and showy change and not a true evolution).  And I think that in golf course architecture especially (amongst all the arts-crafts), a strategically-sound and aesthetically pleasing style/approach will out of necesity produce differing results depending on the naure and quality of the medium, i.e. the site. 

Peter 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »
Peter:

A few replies to your post ...

Peter, look at the work of Robert Trent Jones as the most easiest to recognize. The man simply cloned his previous work time after time after time. Frankly, that demonstrates an assembly-line mentality. Nothing wrong from a straight business sense -- clearly he had a line of customers waiting to get his services.

The different sites he had were simply superimposed with the same basic formula. Again and again. Raynor is no different but people here embrace him because of his ties to Macdonald and the classical connection to those layouts from across the pond.

I see that with a few of the more favored people on this site. In sum, create super wide fairways and then doctor up the green sites with contours going sometimes off the charts. The skill of driving is really never given much thought. If I have already played the best version of this work previously -- why should I feel the need to play it again and again?

Design differentiation is showing the wherewithal to create totally different styles. Some people will not be able to do that either because of their own limitations or because it's simpler to keep on cranking out past versions because people are still interested in buying it. I never said golf design is not a business -- but if that's the only chief priority then the overall outcomes will be a stale rendition over and over.

I am not suggesting a "showy change" simply for the purpose of proving to be different for the sake of being different. That would be nothing more than transparent and seen for what it is. I am suggesting that architects sometimes fall prey to the belief that whatever they have done previously is SINGULARLY enough to keep going with time after time. No doubt if the client side is churning along then clearly the desire to make $$ and build one's overall name can be overpowering. When I look back at the career of RTJ -- I see an empire throughout the world but very, very little that is of real consequence. That seems to be happening to the likes of Tom Fazio.

There's a huge difference, for me at least, that doesn't confuse commercial success with architectural elasticity that pushes boundaries beyond what's been done previously. The art side is no less critical than the business side. I think Tom's internal thought process that he shared through the Digest interview suggests to me he wants to add a different approach when the right site / client become available. It will be interesting to observe not only his evolution but others in the field as well.

Thanks for sharing ...

Ian_L

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »
Matt, do you think Doak designs don't reward great drives enough, or don't punish bad drives enough?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »
Ian:

Tough question.

I can only comment from a limited perspective -- I've played roughly 15 or 16 different Doak designs and none from his efforts in Australia or NZ thus far.

I think Tom's main emphasis is what he mentioned -- making sure areas in and around his putting surfaces are detailed thoroughly in a wide variety of ways. This would include putting greens given his nod to his ability as a solid putter himself.

No less than Doak himself said designers are wont to design courses that favor the strengths they possessed personally. He mentioned Nicklaus and his clear pattern on favoring tee game and approach elements similar to what Jack executed during his peak days as a player. 

Candidly, with the singular exception of Sebonack, I have never really felt that driving the ball on a Doak course was needed at the same level as the approaches, short game / putting elements. No doubt there are holes I've encountered where great driving does matter.

However ...

My recent visit earlier this year to Rock Creek was an eye-opener because the collective par-4's you face there are the best combination of holes I have seen from him in the courses I have personally played. There are 11 par-4 holes at Rock Creek and on nearly all of them you need to be very clear on just how far and on what playing line you choose to execute. Yes, the fairways are wide on a number of them but the marriage between sufficient distance and line of attack must be done with utter precision to reap the maximum payoff/

Holes such as #6, #7, #11 and #16, to name just four, are well done and clearly go far beyond what I have personally played with his earlier designs.

So to answer your question quickly -- I'd opt for less of the "punish(ment)" connection and simply say the great drives weren't really rewarded to such a level that would be comparable to what you need to do with various short game matters and putting. That has changed with some of the more recent offerings -- Sebonack and Rock Creek and demonstrates to me that it's quite possible Doak himself is giving this element more attention than he has previously. We shall see how this translates out into future works not only for him but for the other more noted and prolific designers operating today.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
Matt - thanks. But see, I tend to think that if an architect is prone to "superimpose" his style on the land before his evolution, he'll be just as inclined to superimpose his "new" style after the evolution - leading to what, architecturally speaking, I think of as a change and not an evolution, and change for its own sake.
But I recognize that I may be splitting hairs here, and I do understand your larger point.

Peter

John Kirk

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »
Regarding the 2nd hole at Ballyneal, I see nothing wrong, especially early in the round, with a tee shot that rewards power.  I like the 2nd hole a whole lot, just the way it is.  For me, it's often a fairway wood approach shot, but I've also seen 350 yard drives there, followed by a short iron.

Bandon Trails #7 is another example of a long par 4 where the power player has a huge advantage.  I see nothing wrong with this.

Sorry to nitpick.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2008, 07:45:21 PM »
John:

You missed my point -- the issue of any change would not effect how you or others like you would play the hole / re: 2nd at Ballyneal. The issue would be to add a feature that would cause the longer hitters to pause before they execute.

In regards to the 7th at Tetherow -- the wherewithal to play down the left side is very demanding -- the slightest pull and it's wets-ville !

If you push it just a tad to the right you can get caught in either bunkers or other junk-like grass which can severely handicap your approach play.
Of course, players can decide to go down the extreme right side but the blind approach for that position is no picnic.

I see the holes as night and day difference.

You see the 7th as "another example ... where the power player has a huge advantage." That can only happen when execution of the highest order is achieved. The 2nd at Ballyneal is not of the same exact requirements as the one you mentioned in Bend, in my mind.

John Kirk

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »
Matt,

I actualy mentioned #7 at Bandon Trails, which is 460 uphill and 100 yards wide, with a large fairway bunker on the left side, about 280-340 yards out.  But it's still so wide that any reasonable drive will hit fairway.

To reiterate, I don't think it's necessary to always force longer hitters to "pause before they execute".  Let the big boy bomb away to his heart's content, at least a few times each round.

I think this relates to your discussion with Tom D.  For me, the goal for a great golf course is to make all players "pause before they execute" about the same amount, so that all players can experience the exhiliration and disappointment with risk and reward.  There may be a problem with this egalitarian approach, when designing  a course to challenge the professional player.

Perhaps, in order to effectively challenge the best, hazards must be placed at specific, repetitive distances from the tee.  You may remember that Augusta National rebuilt fairway bunkers on holes 1, 2, 5(?) and 8.  The distance to carry each of these bunkers, which guarded the inside of the fairway, was almost exactly the same distance, something like 319 to carry.  The net result was that no one attempted to carry the bunkers and just played away from them.  In that case, the fairway was simply narrowed from 280-320 off the tee, or something like that.

No matter how Tom and/or Tiger design a golf course, it will favor a certain type of player.  Some guys drive it farther or straighter than others.  Some guys can bend the ball both ways.  Some guys have great distance control on approaches, or can control spin better.  Some guys have a greater arsenal of short shots.  Somebody benefits from the setup.

The last thing I want to see is a course that is specifically setup to nullify Tiger Woods's advantages.  Just off the top of my head, the one course I can think of that seems to negate his strengths is Carnoustie.  Conversely, I think Tiger will win every Open held at the Old Course for the next 15 years.  I'm not sure why.  A good guess would be Carnoustie favors a straight driver in the extreme.

Tom, one thing I would like to see in future designs is a few holes that strongly encourage a curved tee shot. If I could step to the tee 3-4 times per round knowing I should fade or draw the ball, it would increase my enjoyment and challenge.  It's fun and it's hard to do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back