News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Ryall

Orlando Golf Recommendations
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »
The annual spring trip I organize is trying out Orlando this year, 4/16-4/19.   Of the 5 rounds slotted, two are at Orange County National and the other at Southern Dunes.   I was looking for opinions on two other courses on the south side.  Our group of 12 ranges anywhere from and 8 to a 24 for handicaps and all will be coming from northern climates.   

We are scheduled to stay at Mystic Dunes, near Kissimmee.    I was looking for some atypical Florida courses and had been eyeing Mystic, Celebration and Eagle Creek.    Not looking at the high-end Ginn or Grand Cypress rates but a notch below.    Would like to get to Sugarloaf but the crowd doesn't want to travel that far.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, including lodging.   

Thanks and happy holidays.

Kyle Harris

Re: Orlando Golf Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »
It you really want to slum it up but see a really neat golf course in bad shape... go play Lekarica, which is south of Mountain Lake/Lake Wales on US 27.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
Count me as a vote for Mystic and against Celebration. 

Michael Powers

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:53:42 PM »
I would check out Grand Pines off I Drive.  This is the old International Course totally redone by Smyers.  I can't vouch for it as I have not played it yet, but always liked Smyers especially So. Dunes.  Also, check out Metrowest.  It is usually in good condition and fun to play if you can get past looking at the houses and condos.  Pretty good practice facilities there as well. 
HP

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
The El Campeón at The Mission Inn in Howey-in-the-Hills is atypical.

35 minutes northwest of Orlando

That ain't too far north is it?

Concur, Grand Pines is not horrible.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

scott_wood

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
the Bobby Weed redo of Deltona is approx 20 minutes + NE of orlando...
atypical , and well done fun.....

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
Highlands Reserve in Davenport is inexpensive and it's been in v.g. condition every time I've played it. Mike Sweeney sent me some recent info, you can sign up on their website and get a play-all-day-for-$49 deal. I think(without looking) that it might even get down around $30 for an after 1pm round.

Bridgewater in Lakeland is also a reasonably priced, nice layout by Steve Smyers.

edit: Scott, the photos from their website, versus the older aerials found online, are quite different. What a transformation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:19:46 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
Victoria Hills is another good option.

http://www.victoriahillsgolf.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »
Andy, I'd pack up and take everyone to World Woods.  Orange County national bored me so badly...and took 6-1/2 hours...I walked off after 16 holes.  It was also 35 degrees and overcast:).  Is there anyway to take a mulligan and do Long Shadow instead? Or Sawgrass?  Or Port St. Lucie?

Voctoria Hills is OK, although the the price probly went up.   played it in 2002 and it was $85.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »
Mountain Lake is worth the effort of trying to get on.  I played down there a few weeks ago and the course was even better than I remembered it.  Only 20 minutes away from Southern Dunes.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »
Providence is down in that area and isn't bad.

My advice, however, is strong arming your friends to go to Sugarloaf Mountain. It is very, very good.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
Royal St. Cloud is also worth a look. Solid Chip Powell design.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Gives me some things to chew on as I watch the snow fall.

Happy Holidays from Minnesota -

Andy

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »
My advice, however, is strong arming your friends to go to Sugarloaf Mountain. It is very, very good.

i second Jeffs suggestion
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Mike McGuire

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
Andy-

The lodging at Orange County National is very reasonable and you can walk to the first tee. We stay there every year with our group of 12. We get a package with a party room where everyone can hang out and play gin or watch a game at night.

Our M.O. is walk over for breakfast, play 18, meet for lunch and settle up, go to the nine hole executive course, The Tooth, for a scramble, go to party room and play gin. Wake up - repeat.

Ill second the recommendation of El Campeon.

Steve Hyden

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »
Mountain Lake is worth the effort of trying to get on.  I played down there a few weeks ago and the course was even better than I remembered it.  Only 20 minutes away from Southern Dunes.

This weekend, admiring a bag tag, I was told by the owner of the bag tag that getting on Mountain Lake was "impossible."  Of course we didn't talk about how he got on, but still...

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »

I third Jeff's opinion!!!!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 06:33:12 AM »
After playing Deltona yesterday, I would put this on the must play list. Very similar to World Woods Pine Barrens and at $44 replaces Highlands Reserve on the Best Value of Orlando list.

If they can get the greens a tiny bit faster, then this course starts to get on the best of Florida list. Has some houses around, but they are never in play and set back from the course. They will soon have a temporary clubhouse open, and the people are very nice. Plays firm with heroic shots, tough to lose a ball. Terrain is wonderful and it rolls more than Sugarloaf which is more up and down the mountain. My updated Orlando list would be:

1. Mountain Lake
2. Deltona
3. Sugarloaf Mtn
4. Southern Dunes
5. Bay Hill - but the greens are a problem right now
6. Highlands Reserve - partially for the value
7. Disney - Osprey Ridge - Fazio
8. Mission Inn - Old course

Probably deserves to be on - Grand Cypress New but I have not gotten there. If you don't mind the drive, World Woods Pine Barrens competes with Mountain Lake.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »
Andy:

Sugarloaf is closer than several of the courses that have been suggested, and not much farther than a couple of the others. Now that 27 is a more user-friendly way to get to Clermont, you can avoid a lot of the headaches around town. Be careful when planning. Traffic on I-4 could disrupt your best laid plans.

If the guys you are going with are worried about an extra 10-15 minutes each way, I'm not sure the architecture is going to matter much to them anyway.

Regards,

Doug

Andy Ryall

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »
At this point, we are leaning towards setting up camp at Orlando County National and playing most of the golf there.   The group I am bringing is far more interested in convenience than trying to hustle around central FL to make our scheduled tee times.    I may try to get a foursome up to Sugarloaf on Thursday.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Andy

Richard Boult

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back