News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: The World's Greatest Course? Royal Dornoch
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »
I've always thought those whose courses that are "home" and special to them in this experiential way are also great - like Rich and Gene and Mucci and a few others - really have golf life beaten.  That is to say, that is very very cool and much to be envied. 

So that is indeed very well said, Rich.

As for Dornoch, I have yet to hear from anyone who's regretted making the trek.  That alone does say a lot.

It's clearly a Doak 10 as I see things, with absolutely no question.  Best course on the planet?  Who knows.  It's certainly in any conversation about such.

I do dearly hope to get back there again, some day.

TH

Gary Slatter

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 02:35:32 PM »
Until I get to play every golf course, Dornoch is the best so far.  And I was very privileged to have played my second round there with  Richard Goodale (and our wives).  There may be a handful of world's greatest courses and they all will have someone who thinks their greatest is better.  IMHO even the world's worst course probably makes someone happy.

If I had only one course left to play in the world, right now Dornoch would be my choice.  I see a little of Dornoch in almost every course I've played in Scotland.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 08:07:56 AM »
Dornoch is one of my favorite courses and I agree it belongs in any conversation of best courses in the world. I think the greatest strength of Dornoch is its balance. If you break down a course into how it tests driving the ball, approaches, short game, and putting demands then I think one would be hard pressed to find many better courses. The course requires you to pay attention on every shot, however I don't think many would consider the course penal. That is where most courses fail the greatness test. There are plenty of penal courses that demand your full attention, but just give you a headache by the end of the day.  Dornoch isn't easy by any means but the challenge is so enjoyable that you just want to go right back to the first tee and do it again. As an added bonus the scenery doesn't suck either. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Walter Bart

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
 I would attempt to echo Rich's comments as someone who has been privileged to have a  ten year intermittant  history with the course playing more often  under competitive conditions.  It is such a unique landscape and never disappoints.

Like David, I too do not have the breadth of experience playing all of the best to make any defining judgments.  One of the best in the world is about all we should be able to say about any outstanding course.

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
Thinking about it a bit more, I do feel confident saying that Dornoch is one of the greatest places in the world to play golf. That may, or may not, make it one of the world's greatest golf courses.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
I understand what you are saying David. After reading A Season in Dornoch by Lorne Rubenstein, the atmosphere of living and playing golf in Dornoch sounds pretty good.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »
 This is the world's greatest golf course to play on, twice, with the world's greatest hangover. 

There are two courses that come to mind when I think about where I would like to return to as a much better player . . . Royal Dornoch and Sand Hills.

But I would gladly play each again if I was a worse player.

I would also play the Struie next time.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day."  Frank Sinatra
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Rich Goodale

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
Slag

Speaking of Dornoch and hangovers.....

I saw Euan Currie at a party yesterday and he still worries that the Robert Service video he sent you won't work on a US recorder.  Have you solved that problem?  Also, he reports that the Burghfield is well on its way to being demolished and then reborn.  In a couple of years there will be 20-25 hotel rooms and a bar, although sans Curries it will never be the same....

Merry

Rich

Norbert P

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
Demolishing the Burghfield!?!?! What a shame. Progress sucks! 

Give my best to Euan.  May his kilt and sporran be warm.

I'm feeling very much like I am in a Robert Service poem this past week. It's looking like Alaska here.

The Cremation of Sam McGee   (Highly abridged)

Well, he seemed so low that I couldn't say no;
Then he says with a sort of moan:
"It's the cursed cold, and it's got right hold
Till I'm chilled clean through to the bone.
Yet 'tain't being dead -- it's my awful dread
Of the icy grave that pains;
So I want you to swear that, foul or fair,
You'll cremate my last remains."  ...

... I was sick with dread, but I bravely said:
"I'll just take a peep inside.
I guess he's cooked, and it's time I looked"; . . .
Then the door I opened wide.

And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm,
In the heart of the furnace roar;
And he wore a smile you could see a mile,
And he said: "Please close that door.
It's fine in here, but I greatly fear
You'll let in the cold and storm --
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee,
It's the first time I've been warm."   . . .
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:16:05 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »
Slag B. -

This article describes what is and will be happening at the Burghfield:

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/5233/Work_starts_on_new_college_centre.html

Regarding the Struie, I have probably played it at least 25 times over the past 4 summers. The course is not without merit and there are a number of very good golf holes there, especially the 5 newer holes designed by Robin Hiseman. That being said, I would encourage anyone visiting the Dornoch area to play Brora, Golspie and Tain before getting around to playing the Struie.

DT     

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
David, which holes did Robin design?  I was glad to play the Struie after the gorse was cut back to widen the fairways, it must have been brutal before!

David_Tepper

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 12:23:13 AM »
Bill M. -

The 5 holes furthest out on the Struie course (holes #9, a par-5, thru #13, also a par-5) were designed by Robin Hiseman and built 5-6 years ago. The more I play those holes, the more I appreciate just how good they are.

DT 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back