News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Private Clubs Opening Doors
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
With all the talk of job lay-offs and the economy struggling, do you think some private clubs will start allowing more outside play?  Have any bigger clubs started this?  Obviously clubs like Seminole, Merion, etc. will not ever, but maybe some might?

Tom_Doak

Re: Private Clubs Opening Doors
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »
Rick:

I think it's actually been getting easier to gain access to private courses for the past 3-4 years ... especially the newer ones whose memberships aren't full.  They don't send out a press release about it, but if I'm a member of a club with less than 200 members, I would prefer allowing occasional outside play to paying higher dues.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »
Most of the private clubs in the palm desert area are more than willing to allow reciprocal play.  If you are a member at another club and want to come out and pay the full fee go right ahead.  I don't ever think it will get to the point of allowing any random person on just to get some revenue.  At least I hope not or there is no point in belonging to a private club.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:03:43 PM »
I belong to a Golf Club Without Real Estate in New York. Most years they play weekday outings at second tier clubs around New York. In the last year a number of top clubs are showing up. Problem is really not access but more about price points.

They try to keep the outings which include lunch, dinner, golf and drinks in the $175 - 325 range for roughly 28-40 golfers. Private club outings are never on the weekends however.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:13:05 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Emmy

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »
At select times, a few of the private clubs in Nor Cal are also allowing outside play, with hopes of attracting new members.

Bill Kubly

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »
You are going to see many more of those special places  opening their doors for limited public play in the coming season.  For instance, at Sutton Bay, we have always allowed players to play our course one time unaccompanied if they request it in writing or even give our manager a call.  We have always wanted to share our facility with the golf world and felt that if this privilege wasn't abused that on a space available basis we would allow such play......

Over the years, most clubs, other than those "top clubs" have been allowing as much  sponsored play as possible on their courses as long as the members didn't know about it and it didn't affect their play. 

Now that the economy is slowing down our industry it only makes sense for clubs to offer this as long is it is done carefully so as not to disrupt the membership as it is a way for members to avoid dues increases or assessments. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
Some new clubs, when trying to fill/sell memberships, will have a "member for a day" program. C&C's Sugarloaf in Orlando is doing this now.

Some older clubs in the Philly area who are having membership issues have instituted a "try us,you'll like us" program by selling an annual membership for a year or two. I haven't heard of any opening tee times for daily play....yet. Tune in next year.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:37:12 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
As Bill Kubly mentioned above I believe that in 2009 you will see a "softening" of the rules that private clubs have in place.  We have allowed non-members the opportunity to come and play Sutton Bay on a space available basis and the only requirement we have been consistent on is that we require everyone to stay with us at least one night.  I do not think this is much of a hardship given that we have the nicest facilities in the area and we are not exactly right next to another hotel.  2009 looks to be a challenging year for all businesses and the golf world will not escape those challenges.  I would like to extend an invitation to all GCA people to come and visit and enjoy the golf and other amenities we have at Sutton Bay during the summer of 2009.  As I said above, it will be on a space available basis but I am sure we can find a time that works for your schedule and ours.  If there are questions or you would like to reach our office the easiest way to do that is to email us at info@suttonbay.com and we will get back to you with the answers to your questions.  It is a bit chilly in South Dakota right now (-17 this coming weekend and that is the temp alone) so it might be a few months before we thaw out and are ready for golf.  Merry Christmas to everyone.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:59:31 AM »
I would like to extend an invitation to all GCA people to come and visit and enjoy the golf and other amenities we have at Sutton Bay during the summer of 2009. . . . Merry Christmas to everyone.

I urge everyone who can arrange it to accept Mark's invitation.

You will not regret the time and effort required to get there. (If you do, you've got bigger problems than I know how to handle!)

Merry Christmas to you, Mark.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:32:42 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Andy Ryall

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
I would echo Dan K's comments, who was kind enough to invite a GCA newbie out to Sutton Bay in October 2007.  Despite weather more typical for Bandon in the winter (rain - 40s), it was a great experience and should not be missed.    The lodge and facilities are first rate, along with the people.   Look forward to getting back in 2009.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
I think the better question is how many private clubs will have openings for membership and will they change/relax their requirements for "getting in."
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »
JC:  I believe the answer to your question is that almost all private clubs will have openings.  There will be the exception to that comment and everyone can probably name a handful of those clubs.  I also firmly believe that many private clubs will be getting creative on their "entrance rules" in 2009.  I believe I read a report that Quintero in AZ is allowing new members in for a small fee for year one and then you must join as a full member.  The bottom line for all courses, public or private, is that they need people using the club and the course and they will be willing to pass on the larger entrace fees in return for people coming.  The old slogan from the Army "we need a few good men (women)" is quite appropriate except for the golf clubs and courses in 2009 will "need a lot of good men and women".  2009 should be a year when avid golfers are able to play many courses that might have once been closed without an invitation by a member.

Thanks Dan and Andy for the kind comments on Sutton Bay and Merry Christmas to you as well. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back