News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

The city of Palm Beach will renovate the Dick Wilson designed par3 Ocean Course.It's a  fun course to play but needs work. Ray Floyd will do the redesign gratis:

www.palmbeachdailynews.com/news/content/news/2008/12/16/golfupdate1217.html

www.golfontheocean.com

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:30:24 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

jeffwarne

Re: Palm Beach Ocean Course(Wilson) to be renovated by Ray Floyd New
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »
a great spot.

$6 million to renovate a par 3 course?
ick

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:11:01 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

Re: Palm Beach Ocean Course(Wilson) to be renovated by Ray Floyd
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
a great spot.

Ray Floyd?---- ick.
Seems like there should be a lot of actual architects available right now

ick again.

Wonder how much the rerenovation will run (a la Doral)

How many wanted to work for free like Raymond though?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
It's got a pretty neat pedigree. Throw a 9-iron and you'll probably hit 10 architects in that neck of the woods.

Good luck to Ray Floyd.  I get a bad feeling though reading about holes being reversed, trees and lakes added, and an osmosis plant built.  How can that be interpreted in a positive way?

It would be better with fewer trees that it has even now, the better to feel the wind, except to line the road.

Click here for pictures / old thread.

Mark

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
Mark,
To paraphrase the Coen Brothers, Barton Fink: "Fink, and when you throw it, throw it hard!

Ray Floyd-Palm Beach Ocean Course-Florida Politics.....I can smell the stench now. (Is that a haiku? Isn't this Haiku Tuesday?)

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
a great spot.

Ray Floyd?---- ick.

ick again.

6 million in the budget ??? ??? ???-perhaps they should spend the money on something important like an architect.
a talented architect could charge a fair fee and probably create a better finished product for less money.
as far as architects (or anyone else) working for free, sometimes you get what you pay for.
Does Raymond own or have ties to a construction company (maybe it's not so free)

Dick Wilson gets a lot of kudos on this site and it's a cool place-how about a simple restoration?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:38:45 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »
Does Raymond own or have ties to a construction company (maybe it's not so free)

Jeff, now that wouldn't actually happen in Florida would it?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »
Tom and Jeff

Palm Beach isn't in Florida.  Actually, it's not even in America.

Mark

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
after the recent madoff debacle I hear they're merging with Vegas

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:32 PM »
My Goodness, $6 million to renovate that little course?!

I've only driven by that course about 3797 times over the years (on the way back and forth from Delray to Palm Beach) but never stopped in there. I'm quite amazed my car never got hit by a golf ball----eg the parallel holes are very close both east and west to A1A with little to no tree block. It's basically pretty boring coastal land wedged in close between the beach/dunes and the inland waterway with A1A right in the middle. The coastal dune does offer a bit of height though.

In my time down there that course was always known as the Phipps course because I believe the Phipps family owned that land; maybe they still do. That entire area from the Lake Wales bridge on the south end to the South Palm Beach S turn on the north end used to be about 100% Jewish with numerous high-rises. Pretty nice area though. It was informally known as the "Gaza Strip".

It would positively astound us today how much of the Florida East coast the Phipps' owned at one time and it would astound us more how much of the Florida East coast Flager once owned.

I'm not sure what the automatic disappointment is about on here with Ray Floyd doing the rennovation. What's the problem with Ray, other than the fact his Doral redo didn't seem to go over that well with some people?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:53:15 PM by TEPaul »

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »
Tom Paul,
As my good friend Patrick Burke would say--and he has paid a price for his comments ;)--a lot of reasons why one should doubt Ray's efforts...

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
I wonder if Mr. Floyd will get any of his partners money!

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/sports/content/news/MONgolffloyd0310.html

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
"The council last month appropriated $221,000 to pay Floyd's partner, golf architect Harry Bowers of Signature Design of Jupiter, for services he has agreed to render at a reduced cost."

Nice fee for a reno of a par 3 course! And that fee is reduced too! What a bargain. Ray works for free while his partner gets two or three times what the work is worth. Hmm.

I can't see the result of this being anything other than a disaster. Dick Wilson would be turning in his (well lubricated) grave.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »
And how exactly has the world changed...when it comes to a par 3 played mainly by retirees? There are a couple of holes plenty long enough for most of us and it's not like the other 16 are one wedge shot after another.

Meanwhile, regrassing with a salt tolerant strain and investing in a desalination plant is typical PB overkill. It's what happens when you have money left over after annual beach replentishment, police dept "travel" / ringer competition squads and one firetruck for every resident.

Leave the course alone and spend the money on a man o war eradication program. That won't work either, but it will deflect attention!

Mark

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »
I will absolutely guarantee anyone (I know that place well) putting $6 million dollars into that place is akin to putting ten dollars in stamps on a post card!

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »
a great spot.

Ray Floyd?---- ick.

ick again.

6 million in the budget ??? ??? ???-perhaps they should spend the money on something important like an architect.
a talented architect could charge a fair fee and probably create a better finished product for less money.
as far as architects (or anyone else) working for free, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Dick Wilson gets a lot of kudos on this site and it's a cool place-how about a simple restoration?

No construction company---------much better- a partner ;) ;)

Lester George

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
A real architect will no doubt need to go in there and fix Raymond's mess within a couple of years.  Will they ever learn. 

You get what you pay for.

Lester

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
A real architect will no doubt need to go in there and fix Raymond's mess within a couple of years.  Will they ever learn. 

You get what you pay for.

Lester

Ditto
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Michael Blake

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
A real architect will no doubt need to go in there and fix Raymond's mess within a couple of years. 

Isn't Harry Bowers a 'real' architect?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
Apparently he is a "real" architect who used to work for RTJ2.
http://signaturedesignservices.com/about.html

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back