News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Does Your Score Affect Your Enjoyment
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:39 PM »
I have an interesting question.  When you play golf, are you most interested in scoring well or enjoying the architecture of the course?  It seems like sometimes I allow myself to get so caught up in the score that I don't get to enjoy the architecture of a special course I'm playing.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Brian_Ewen

Re: Does Your Score Affect Your Enjoyment
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:21:30 PM »
Yes.

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
Absolutely.I like to think I have some awareness of the golf course and surroundings while playing.

But,ultimately,I think the object of the exercise is to play/score well.Sometimes it's harder to appreciate a golf course that just beat you up,IMO.

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
Scoring is the object of the game. If I play poorly on a good golf course, it usually dampens the experience
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 01:05:31 PM »

Never!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
It certainly is more fun when you are playing well. I think those of you that have seen me chop around a course will attest that I still play quickly and enjoy the course as much as possible, but its still more fun to make birdies and execute properly.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
Yes, and this is why I always like to get a few cracks at a course.  If you think about an individual hole, it is tough to assess it if you go three off the tee, dunk one in the pond on your approach and pick up for an eight.

My first trip to Bandon, I was in a slump and played like a dog.  I loved the courses, loved the experience, but I was fighting my swing and the courses the whole time.  PD in particular chewed me up and spit me out.  That being said, the courses and resort were so enjoyable that I was not a sourpuss.

If I shoot a good score on a tricked up track, by my third beer I may begin to wax on about the course being "a great test" and an "enjoyable and underrated challenge".

Tom Dunne

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 01:31:46 PM »
Yes, I admit it does for me--it's such a pitiful feeling when you play poorly on a great course. At the moment, N. Berwick and Pinehurst #2 head up my personal list in that department. But there's also the equal and opposite element of revenge, when you get another crack at the place and play up to or beyond your abilities. That's one of the best feelings in golf. My most rewarding round of '08 was finally getting around Pine Valley without a card littered with X's.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
Of course playing poorly dampens my enjoyment.  And I want to play well enough to win (in a friendly sort of way) more than focus on the architecture.  Otherwise, I wouldn't pay a green fee.  However, if I do play poorly that in no way reflects on my opinion of the quality of a course.  Good lord, if I did allow performance to reflect architectural quality there are a load of courses I really have time for that I should hate.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
When I am playing poorly I am not playing the golf course as so much I am fighting my swing. So the strategy of the golf course takes a back seat to "I have no idea where this ball is going."
H.P.S.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 02:58:33 PM »
Scoring doesn't mean a great deal to me. If I score well, then good; but if I don't & I'm playing a great course, it doesn't bother me.

The biggest problem I have is when I'm playing a boring course. I just lose interest, even in comp rounds.

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 07:15:23 AM »
My score doesn't bother me at all. I only am concerned with making some quality golf shots. Not that I make a lot of them as a 10 handicap. :)Execution allows me to interface with the architecture and see what there is to learn.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
My score doesn't bother me at all. I only am concerned with making some quality golf shots. Not that I make a lot of them as a 10 handicap. :)Execution allows me to interface with the architecture and see what there is to learn.

Ed:

I agree with your last sentence whole heartedly....without at least hitting some good shots, I cannot really appreciate the architecture of the hole...I do like to make pars too  ;D.  I don't ever think playing poorly ruins golf, but it puts a damper on it.

Bart

Mitchell Schneringer

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »
I agree that poor play can certainly affect my enjoyment.  Most recently, I honestly found very little enjoyment playing TOC because I was struggling with my full swing, chipping, and putting all on the same day.  The history of the area was GREAT, but I need to go back again to take another swing at it.  Although a tough day, my score didn't reflect my true struggles as I missed a 4 footer on 18 for a 79.  Maybe next time I can do better than an 80.  But I don't think I'll be as lucky again to have such beautiful weather as we encountered in early August. 

Richard Boult

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
I find that when I focus on the course setting, surroundings, and design instead of score, I score better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back