News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Fowler

Union Bay and Kittansett
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »
I watched the following video on Union Bay again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuZNpDAOdrM

and I couldn't help but think about Kittansett, which Gil knows well.  Both courses start and end on exposed, waterfront property with links style holes.  The middle of the round is beautifully interrupted by a transition to wooded holes.  How much do you think Gil's routing was influenced by Kittansett.  When he described the planned 12th tee shot at Union Bay, he could have just as easily been describing 16 at Kittansett.  Any thoughts?

Similarly, how often do architects model their work after 1 or 2 courses when starting a new project?  Can anyone think of any other examples that seem particularly likely?

Also, does anyone know how the Union Bay project is coming along?

Yannick Pilon

Re: Union Bay and Kittansett
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »
Anthony,

When planning a golf course, it is not unusual for me to use one or two other courses as a model of what we are trying to acheive.  I find this usually helps the clients understand what kind of look we are after, what kind of feeling, what kind of atmosphere.

This being said, it's not about copying the said courses, but more about portraying ideas that they offer that apply to the course we are working on.

I suspect that I am not alone doing this.  I guess this thread will show that.

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Will MacEwen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
I watched the following video on Union Bay again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuZNpDAOdrM

and I couldn't help but think about Kittansett, which Gil knows well.  Both courses start and end on exposed, waterfront property with links style holes.  The middle of the round is beautifully interrupted by a transition to wooded holes.  How much do you think Gil's routing was influenced by Kittansett.  When he described the planned 12th tee shot at Union Bay, he could have just as easily been describing 16 at Kittansett.  Any thoughts?

Similarly, how often do architects model their work after 1 or 2 courses when starting a new project?  Can anyone think of any other examples that seem particularly likely?

Also, does anyone know how the Union Bay project is coming along?

Anthony - I posted a few days ago that I drove by the site and it looked like progress was being made.  There was heavy equipment, it looked like there had been some clearing on the high side of the highway, and the development signs were still up.

This is good news as two high profile projects on Vancouver Island have hit the skids, and there are rumours of other projects in BC falling off.  A Ritz Carlton project in downtown Vancouver suddenly dropped tools. 

As I posted before, I am going to try to have a look around over the Christmas holiday.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »
I think that is wan't influenced other than knowing that the transitions would work well.
When the transition happens within a hole, rather than inbetween holes, it ties the course together better.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back