News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

New C&C course at Barnbougle, "The Lost Farm"
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »
Below is a caption and a few pics from Ben Crenshaw's website on the new Coore/Crenshaw project at Barnbougle:

"Work began in October on Coore & Crenshaw's first overseas project since Indonesia in 1995.  C&C associates Dave Axland and Keith Rhebb are on the site on The Lost Farm at Barnbougle; Tasmania, Australia."

Hole 14

Chip Gaskins

Re: New C&C course at Barnbougle, "The Lost Farm"
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »
That looks like terrible land for a golf course, oh my!

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »
That last picture almost looks like a hole was already there.  I'm sure Bill Coore is enjoying this site.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
This course is not going to suck!!!  What land!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:02:59 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:07:25 PM »

How f'ing cool.
That rolling fairway is f'ing stunning...

Who ever said Bill couldn't use technology well.  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »
Question for you in the business:

I look at those pics and after marvelling at how cool the holes will likely be there...I say to myself "shit even I could build golf holes there."

I am selling you guys way way way short with this, I'm sure...

But is the real skill here (like the way it was at Sand Hills, or so it is said) indeed picking the right 18 great spots for golf holes, and making it all work together?

Just a stupid question from a neophyte.. but this does seem to be a great example with which to clear this up in my mind...

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
One thing that can be problematic down there is the wind. Finding holes that will work with the wind velocity they can get there has to be tricky. The land is fabulous from what I have heard.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
But is the real skill here (like the way it was at Sand Hills, or so it is said) indeed picking the right 18 great spots for golf holes, and making it all work together?
TH

You really just figure that out?  C'mon Huck, you've got an image to uphold!!!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »
TH

Hell Michael, even asking a question like this is likely to improve my image.
  ;)

And of course I didn't just figure this out... I guess my question is more is this ALL that is involved at a site like this?  What ELSE goes into making golf courses out of fantastic sites like this?  See to me it's always seemed oversimplified to say what they said about Sand Hills....

TH

Greg Chambers

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
they should just mow that grass down to fairway height and call it good
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »
TH

Hell Michael, even asking a question like this is likely to improve my image.
  ;)

And of course I didn't just figure this out... I guess my question is more is this ALL that is involved at a site like this?  What ELSE goes into making golf courses out of fantastic sites like this?  See to me it's always seemed oversimplified to say what they said about Sand Hills....

TH

Huck,

Shoot, I'm sure not every hole is just sitting right there.  Surely a little manipulation will need performed. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »
Yeah, I get that a little manipulation will be necessary... but come on man, this is a foray into GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTURE for me... a subject I rarely venture into in this forum... humor me, man.  ;D

Seriously, I am genuinely interested in all that goes into making a course out of a fantastic site like this.  It can't be as easy as my simple mind is imagining.  Ed's post about wind helps - you'd definitely have to make that work.  What else must one do?

TH

Michael Dugger

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
Ye must give that Lost Farm a soul, Mr. Huckaby!  From the drive into the property, to the vantage point from the clubhouse, from the practice facility experience to the feel of the first tee shot.  There will be a symphony that unfolds over the course of the 18 holes.  Highs and lows, excitement, challenge and respite.

I'm thankful Mr. Coore is heading up this composition.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »
Ye must give that Lost Farm a soul, Mr. Huckaby!  From the drive into the property, to the vantage point from the clubhouse, from the practice facility experience to the feel of the first tee shot.  There will be a symphony that unfolds over the course of the 18 holes.  Highs and lows, excitement, challenge and respite.

I'm thankful Mr. Coore is heading up this composition.

EXCELLENT!
That is what I am after... and what an idiot like me could certainly never do.  Give it a soul... very very well said.

Coore and his co-hort have sure succeeded in that in spades at other places... it's a safe bet they will here as well, I'm sure.

TH

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
Tom,
You have to know where to stand to take that picture.
Anyone can click the camera.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »
Tom,
You have to know where to stand to take that picture.
Anyone can click the camera.

Mike, that's phrased damn well also.  Thanks.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »
Is Crenshaw working on this course?  I read before that he was not. 

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »

How would you communicate making a golf hole with the tee at the stake?
(Assuming all the equipment, materials, labor and routing are in place)

Even if you see a pretty hole in your head, how do you get it out?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 01:50:43 PM »

How would you communicate making a golf hole with the tee at the stake?
(Assuming all the equipment, materials, labor and routing are in place)

Even if you see a pretty hole in your head, how do you get it out?

That's the question, and hopefully that's why you and the guys you work with make the big bucks.   ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

Somebody up there must like me.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Philippe Binette

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »
if it the same site that i visited a few years ago, it is much more severe than barnbougle first course...

should lead to some real dramatic shots...

The top Pub in Bridport  will be busy again

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »
Tom,

Did you ever see the guys from Saturday Night Live doing Beyonce's put a ring on it dance....
And all they did was try to copy her.

Cheers

Chris Kane

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »
Is Crenshaw working on this course?  I read before that he was not. 

Originally he wasn't, it was to be a Bill Coore course - Crenshaw couldn't be bothered travelling.  Now apparently he's changed his mind - perhaps he doesn't want to miss out on the glory if something really special is built!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
And my next question.  Can Keiser build more courses at Barnbougle?  Potential for another Bandon? 

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 11:23:55 AM »
And my next question.  Can Keiser build more courses at Barnbougle?  Potential for another Bandon? 

Fwiw, Mike K is not the primary partner in the Barnbougle development, at least not in my limited understanding. I believe the gentleman who owns the farm that the courses are located upon is the majority owner; unfortunately his name escapes me at the moment - I think it's Richard Sattler, but quote me on that - I'll have to look it up.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back