News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: GCA Mock Fantasy Draft - NEED JUDGES
« Reply #575 on: November 03, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
i agree with alex...everyone ranks everyone EXCEPT themselves.  there's little point in using the official ratings or guides as the point was not to pick the highest rated courses available but the ones you would most like to play for the rest of your life....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #576 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
I declare brown cow the winner.

The problem with picking a winner is that several people made, as kind of outlined in the initial rules, made decisions based upon sentimental or personal favorites.  So while Belvedere may only be a 6 on the Doak Scale and certainly not rated elsewhere, it is of higher value to me than some obscure course that is a 8 on the Doak Scale but is located in Nepal.

I think the exercise was fun and certainly we can discus the merits of each person's "team," I'm just not sure I see the value in declaring one person the winner, outside, of course, male pride and general chest pounding.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #577 on: November 03, 2009, 03:50:58 PM »
Amen, JCJ...it's an exercise, neither less nor more
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #578 on: November 03, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
I am with JC...why is everyone obessed with who won?  The rules in the beginning laid out the just for fun, personal preference, feel to the exercise.  Frankly, did anyone lose?  Look at these lists!

If you had to play a set of course for your entire life is the guy with Oakmont a loser since he doesn't have Pine Valley while that guy is a loser because he doesn't have Cypress while that guy is a lose because he doesn't have the Old Course?  As a funny aside, someone probably has more than one of those courses I just listed (since I didn't check the results prior to writing this) and will declare himself the winner based on my post.

However, I do think it would be valuable to see who had the highest rated courses per the different critics/raters...if someone wants to take the time to compile it.  It should yield some interesting results.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #579 on: November 04, 2009, 09:04:44 AM »
I like my idea best - we "call up" three other guys and set up four round fantasy trips.  So Eric, Alex, and Ben, I'll "host" us all at Oakmont.  each of you pick a place.  (e.g. - Jay Oakmont, Eric Muirfield, Ben Shoreacres, Alex Fishers)

Or if you wanna do four rounds at my places - Oakmont, MPCC, Bulls Bay, and Sleepy Hollow.  What four would each of you take our little foursome to play?

Or we can do another thing...try to play everything we own in one year...before the 2010 draft!  Why don't we make this draft a yearly thing - Like we should with that armchair architecture contest we did.  It would be fun to make those regular entries on the calendar.  Again, I'll start.  I'm playing Sleepy Hollow this wkd. (Wish it was last week, I hear the Halloween Tournament is cool).
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back