News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Best Food/Signature Dishes/Signature Drinks at Golf Clubs
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »
The Stilton and fruit bread after diner at Ganton is a great!
That's one that came to my mind.

Along with the breaded plaice starter at Muirfield and the carvery at The Berkshire.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »
Lentil Soup at Winged Foot!  I always knew from thieir logo that those guys were light in their loafers.......

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
In the UK at Prestwick, HCEG, Sunningdale, Tandridge, Sandwich, The Berkshire, Walton Heath and Rye take some beating. With the R&A having a great wine list
A good list.  Lunch at Bruntsfield Links doesn't come far behind most of those, though. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
Lentil Soup at Winged Foot!  I always knew from thieir logo that those guys were light in their loafers.......

Dying there... that logo would indeed have to make them quite literally such...

I loved the trip down memory lane the other links posted in here provided... wow talk about a subject which has been covered before....

BTW, I returned to Olympic Club not that long ago and found the hamburger in a hot dog bun was not all that... that is it didn't live up to my memories of it, nor the hype... or they are indeed pretty darn good and it didn't stop me from having TWO (one on first pass by the shack, another on 2nd)... but I came away disappointed rather than re-inspired.  Must be me.

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »

BTW, I returned to Olympic Club not that long ago and found the hamburger in a hot dog bun was not all that... that is it didn't live up to my memories of it, nor the hype... or they are indeed pretty darn good and it didn't stop me from having TWO (one on first pass by the shack, another on 2nd)... but I came away disappointed rather than re-inspired.  Must be me.

It must at least rank pretty high on your list of hamburgers that you didn't have to pay for ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 03:04:41 PM »

It must at least rank pretty high on your list of hamburgers that you didn't have to pay for ... ;)

And how do you know I didn't pay?
 ;D
OK you got me, of course I didn't.  So it's idiocy to complain.  Just understand I am not complaining; hell I did have TWO after all.  I guess what I'm asking is this:  has anyone else noticed that they have gone downhill?

TH

PThomas

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
Although technically not in the clubhouse, D'Alessandro's cheesesteak emporioum is within walking distance of Walnut Lane GC:

Here's a mushroom cheesesteak with fried onions:

Take that Pine Valley!

unless Philly does something unbelievable to its cheesesteak sandwiches, i've decided that they are not  that good...the meat all chopped up into tiny pieces...whats up with that? 
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Scott Stearns

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
my arterys are cogging just looking at that photo...and i can't wait to have another one on my nxt trip

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
Ballyneal's lobster mac & cheese with a pile of their homemade yucca chips.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Loved that.  GREAT GREAT GREAT call, not yet mentioned.

Brian Joines

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
I loved the peanut butter and crackers at Skokie!

BVince

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »
The hot chicken broth drink served in the urn at the entrance of the mens grill at Seattle G.C. is really good stuff.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Loved that.  GREAT GREAT GREAT call, not yet mentioned.

Don't forget about the green chili, and the breakfast burrito (covered with the aforementioned green chili). I live for that stuff.

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »
I agree with the Olympic Burgers, loaded, on their signature hot dog bun.

But I've got an even better one I tried this August.

At Bayonne Golf Club, they have a dish called "Aces and Bogeys".
The "Aces" are delicious mini prime rib sandwiches, 4 of them, about the size of a White Castle burger. 
The "Bogeys" are their golf ball shaped french fried potatoes.
Both are phenomenal, but I think they taste even better sitting in the Bayonne grill, looking out over the golf course at the southern tip of Manhattan and everything around it.

Gerry B

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2008, 01:15:34 AM »
pete: i agree  the aces and bogeys at bayonne are great as is the setting - but the burger dogs at olympic are superior

cory: yes the rockaway southsides are great - allegedly they were the 1st club on long island to serve a southside -therefore most people think that is where it originated - ie south side of long island - but chicago is where it originated

gene: $800 for the half way house- you might be high considering when it was built
$25,000,000  - the land on holes 7-10  and 14 has to be worth more than 25m even in this economy if they could build residential housing on it

forgot about the beef broth at the halfway house at NGLA - again quirk at its best

also like the cakes they serve at the halfway house at sunningdale accompanied by a cup of tea- nothing like high tea in the middle of a round at one of the best golf clubs on the planet

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
You also forgot to mention the cheese-thing that they do there with the crackers (in the half-way house at NGLA.

Next week?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »
    The food at Old Westbury is astounding.

Basically, you play golf and afterwards attend a wedding in the clubhouse. :)

It is the Sand Hills (Pine Valley, NGLA, TOC, Cypress, Shinnecock, Rock Creek [insert your #1 here]) of eating.

Well researched my friend! ;D

However, the only real way to experience this gastronomic wedding is to enjoy such feast poolside on a holiday weekend! Only there can the sumptous views compliment the culinary orgy that your tastebuds (and other parts :o) experience! ;)

Of course, a simple Southside and some chewy overcooked cabbage tastes quite heavenly when chowed overlooking the beach-club area at Maidstone as well!

Glen Oaks (which will never be the same after last week) is right up there as well. I'm told Nobu choose not to open on LI, given such local competition!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:49:27 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom Yost

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

That cheesesteak seems to be missing the cheese   ???

Carl Nichols

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
The Grape Mother at Lake Geneva Country Club--thirst-quenching but very powerful. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »
You also forgot to mention the cheese-thing that they do there with the crackers (in the half-way house at NGLA.

Next week?

Tommy-  Good call on the cheese spread at NGLA, though I was too busy looking over the fence at Shinnecock to eat a lot of them.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »

also like the cakes they serve at the halfway house at sunningdale accompanied by a cup of tea- nothing like high tea in the middle of a round at one of the best golf clubs on the planet

What about the "soup with"?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
I've always liked the LEO at Philmont: lox,eggs and onion omelet. Served with well done home fries and a toasted bagel with cream cheese. A great way to start the day.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:41:46 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Gene Greco

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »
gene: $800 for the half way house- you might be high considering when it was built
$25,000,000  - the land on holes 7-10  and 14 has to be worth more than 25m even in this economy if they could build residential housing on it

Gerry:

You are correct. However, I was only referring to the approximately two and a half acres the shack occupies including the ocean frontage, a bit of land south of the cavernous right greenside bunker on #9 and a bit to the east to the edge of the 13th green! :o

The land which occupies holes 7 - 10 and 14 is in the hundreds of millions even in today's economy.

Of course, if the Maidstone shack is a bit pricey one may purchase another humble little abode in the area - Charlie Thom's old shack overlooking 14, 16, 17, 18 and a general panorama of Shinnecock for about 15 million less.

However, this manor at Thom's Elbow will soon be no more as I believe it is slated to be moved to another part of the property or demolished.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John_Cullum

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »

That's a  pretty good one Mike. You must be channelling Barney
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Cullum

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »

That cheesesteak seems to be missing the cheese   ???

That looks like crap. Canned mushrooms have a large poison potential. I cannot imagine anything less appetizing
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back