News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: A final goodbye to Beechtree - with pics
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »
1)  A wedge, much less an iron, hit to a frozen green will not hold, putting a premium on the bump and run game which was an absolute blast to play on this course.

You had to travel all the way to the right coast to learn this?  ??? ;D

Garland,

I'm glad you asked.  I've played on frozen greens in both Spokane and here in Utah, but there was something different about these ones.

I don't know if its because they are top dressed differently, a humidity thing on the east coase, or there is just more moisture in the ground...but the frozen greens I've played before this were more akin to firm hard pan.  You could hit balls to them and still get some type of check up or otherwise.  Think a firm US Open green type setup.

Whereas the greens at Beechtree were almost litterally like playing on frozen ice.  Granted they weren't slick or anything like that but I hit a wedge that just barely landed on 10 green that almost rolled off the back...and its a fairly deep green that runs up hill.  It made for some good chuckles but was also fun watching Kyle work his magic with the putter from the fairway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:27:53 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
1)  A wedge, much less an iron, hit to a frozen green will not hold, putting a premium on the bump and run game which was an absolute blast to play on this course.

Garland,

I'm glad you asked.  I've played on frozen greens in both Spokane and here in Utah, but there was something different about these ones.

I don't know if its because they are top dressed differently, a humidity thing on the east coase, or there is just more moisture in the ground...but the frozen greens I've played before this were more akin to firm hard pan.  You could hit balls to them and still get some type of check up or otherwise.  Think a firm US Open green type setup.

Whereas the greens at Beechtree were almost litterally like playing on frozen ice.  Granted they weren't slick or anything like that but I hit a wedge that just barely landed on 10 green that almost rolled off the back...and its a fairly deep green that runs up hill.  It made for some good chuckles but was also fun watching Kyle work his magic with the putter from the fairway.

What Kalen won't tell you is that his shot on the 10th hole was perfectly played for that pin.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »

What Kalen won't tell you is that his shot on the 10th hole was perfectly played for that pin.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.  And if I recall correctly, I think I 3 jacked it from 10 feet due to thier frozenness.  ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »
Kyle

did you notice any holes where other hole's flags appeared in your line of sight?  That seems to be a 'touch of Doak' which you might also see on UK links.

James B

James B.

Yes! So much so that Kalen even pointed it out. Most noteworthy was the 1st and 8th greens.

Below are a couple more of seeing the 1st and 8th pins together, from my visit there about 13 months ago.  I have a photo album of Beechtree both on Frank Pont's GolfArchitecturePictures.com web site as well as on my own home page here:

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/Beechtree/index.html

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 05:24:38 PM »

Garland,

You mean perfectly lucked don't you.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
Its alright Garland...I know you want a crack at me and my 17+ handi.

Don't worry you'll get the chance and we'll put some big $$$ on the line and I'll have a front row seat to watch you fold like a cheap suit!!   ;D  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »
Kalen,

I'm not worried. Anyone that can't hit a Doak fairway at Beechtree half the time would be up a creek without a paddle at my course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carl Rogers

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 06:39:31 PM »
Scott Weersing, another poster on this site, who lives in the tidewater Virginia and I played 3 rounds at Beechtree in October and enjoyed it immensely.  A real highlight in my golfing life.

All of you on the east coast really need to tee it up a Tom D's Riverfront in Suffolk Va.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »
Frost delay?

Either they're nuts or the housing project is delayed.  I'm betting on the latter.  But then again, it IS the DOD that's doing the hiring at Aberdeen Proving Ground...  I sure hope Beechtree survives.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »
Frost delay?

Either they're nuts or the housing project is delayed.  I'm betting on the latter.  But then again, it IS the DOD that's doing the hiring at Aberdeen Proving Ground...  I sure hope Beechtree survives.

Dan,

I think that's a stretch at this point. The fairways were covered in Dollar Spot, which is a low N disease so I'm thinking the fairways weren't fed at all this past autumn/late summer. Furthermore, the greens were covered with both Fairy Ring and Anthracnose, two diseases which are usually controlled with a systemic preventative fungicide. They look like they've missed a few applications.

If the course, by some miracle, remains for another season - the superintendent has his work cut out for him come spring time.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 07:14:48 PM »
Kyle - thanks, good info.

It's amazing how quickly a golf course can revert, isn't it...  Sad.....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
Frost delay?

Dan,

I never did get used to the artillery going off in the distance. 

Also should have mentioned that the land was already being "taken over" for other uses.  We noticed what sounded like shots being fired...but much closer.  Kyle kept saying, oh its just the firing range, but I thought it sounded closer than that.  So when we got to the 15 and 16th holes we noticed a few guys in the woods, no more than 50-60 yards off the fairway who were "hunting".  They had the camoflauge gear on with the orange vests and the whole thing.  Gives yet another meaning to the term hazards found on the course. Sufficeth to say, it was an interesting round in more ways than one.  :D

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:17:08 PM by Kalen Braley »

Richard Boult

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 07:35:56 PM »

James Bennett

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »
Also should have mentioned that the land was already being "taken over" for other uses.  We noticed what sounded like shots being fired...but much closer.  Kyle kept saying, oh its just the firing range, but I thought it sounded closer than that.  So when we got to the 15 and 16th holes we noticed a few guys in the woods, no more than 50-60 yards off the fairway who were "hunting".  They had the camoflauge gear on with the orange vests and the whole thing.  Gives yet another meaning to the term hazards found on the course. Sufficeth to say, it was an interesting round in more ways than one.  :D

Why do they wear camoflauge gear WITH ORANGE VESTS?  Are the animals colour blind?  I know golfers wear funny clothes, but camoflauge with ORANGE.  ROFLMAO  ::)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 08:52:01 PM »

Why do they wear camoflauge gear WITH ORANGE VESTS?  Are the animals colour blind?  I know golfers wear funny clothes, but camoflauge with ORANGE.  ROFLMAO  ::)

James B

James,

I'm not really sure myself either.  But then there is lots to modern day hunting I just don't get.

1)  Back in the day, perfectly understood.  Wife kicks you out of shack, tells you to go find hunt and kill dinner.  I get that...., as my buddy used to always say "if something ain't died, we ain't eating".  But in todays world where meat can be found in abundance at the local store, why hunt? What gives?

2)  I've heard animals are supposedly color blind hence the orange vests...

3)  You tramp miles and miles from anywhere and make your kill, but how the hell do you get the meat back to civilization?  I guess with a Hunters version of "carts" in the form of ATVs.

4)  And don't even get me started on supposed "ethical hunting".  It OK to dress in camaflauge, put dung on your face, douse your self in animal urine to hide your human scent, use artifical sound makers to draw em in, use a long range killing tool in the form of a rifle, etc, etc.....but the 2nd you drive your 4X4 around in the woods with the spotlight on to catch the deer in the headlights to freeze em, your a complete scumbag in hunter terms and should be strung up by your man bits.

5) Last but not least...I think Fishermen are on the right track with the whole catch and release thing...I can dig that.  But when I ask hunters, what is the hunt about, they always say, "oh its not about the kill, just the hunt". So I say fine, well how about just shoot em with paintballs.  But none of them seem to bite on that....oh well!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »
Kalen,

Deer are an increasing nuisance here in suburban Philadelphia. Hunting is done in Pennsylvania mainly to control such populations from becoming hazardous. The problem is so bad that many auto insurance companies are threatening to remove coverage for deer related accidents.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 09:18:12 PM »
Kyle,

Sorry if my last post offendeth...  ;)

I guess thats a good reason to go after them.  I've seen some pretty hideous deer damage pics..they do indeed pack a wallop.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »
Kyle,

Sorry if my last post offendeth...  ;)

I guess thats a good reason to go after them.  I've seen some pretty hideous deer damage pics..they do indeed pack a wallop.

I wasn't offended. I don't really hunt, but you didn't seem too aware of the problem here. Driving at night in my area can be hazardous. Just the other day I was half second from absolutely walloping a deer at the speed limit. Sure, it's a wealthy county, but the Bucks County name is for a much different meaning.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »
Not to mention that Cheater Line on rifles.   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »
Not to mention that Cheater Line on rifles.   

Ahh yes Mike, duly noted....dastardly cheater lines on thier scopes.

And with these new bullets these days, they've made hunting almost obsolote.  The bullets fly too long and straight. Back in the day they had to work them bullets left to right, and visa versa.   ;D

James Bennett

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »
Kalen

do hunters use lasers to determine the distance to the target?  Bastards.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back