News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

A final goodbye to Beechtree - with pics
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »
I recently played Beechtree golf course with Kyle Harris on a warm fall day (32 degrees) :).  As is common knowledge, the course has indeed closed its doors so I thought I would post some 2nd-to-last day pics.  I won't go into the details on the course as its already been discussed here at length, but I will include some observations:

1)  A wedge, much less an iron, hit to a frozen green will not hold, putting a premium on the bump and run game which was an absolute blast to play on this course.
1a) Attempting traditional blast shots out of frozen bunkers is also an exercise in futility.
2)  Beechtree is a great example of minimalism in how it flows with the gently rolling landscape.
3)  Kyle has some wickedly good short bump and run game, up to and including putts from dozens of yards off the green.
4)  Its a shame a course like this is NLE as its good fun to play and from best as I can tell one of the best options to be found in the general DC/Baltimore area.
5)  Prior to this, I've never played a course with such low profile bunkering.  Bunkers from 150+ yards away frequently looked like small rumples in the ground and when you get close they are several hundred square feet in size. Needless to say there was quite a bit of visual deception going on.
6)  The 17th hole is an excellent golf hole that should be templatized if already hasn't.
7)  A golf shop that is one day away from closing its doors will not have much for sale.  ;)
8)  Both Kyle, golf course superintendant extradionarre, and myself could not figure out for the life of us why they enforced a frost delay on the 2nd to last day.
9)  The fairways on this course are by far and away the widest of any course I've played..I couldn't beleive how much space there was out there.  Yet sadly, I still only managed to hit half of them off the tee.

Without further ado, on to the pics of the course.

#1 - Par 4 - A firm handshake to open.  From the tee.

The approach in where left is dead, although long and left opens up.

#2 - Par 3 - The obligatory tee shot over a pond hole.   ;D  ;D

A look at the slooping green from the left side.

#3 - Par 4 - A shortish par 4 that can be attacked.

The approach in.

#4 - Par 3 - This hole is tougher than it looks.  A well struck shot is required to hold this green despite being very large.

#5 - Par 4 - A gentle dog leg left green where Kyle managed to find the Dr. Childs bunker.  :P

The approach in looks benign but missing left or right makes for a tough up and down.

#6 - Par 4 - I couldn't quite figure out why the bunkers are left as there really is no advantage to going over there.  I found the right rough and still had a clear look in.  Perhaps some trickery is afoot!!

The look in on the approach to a semi-falling away green.

#7 - Par 5 - A perfect of example of how a short 5 only really needs 1 strategically placed bunker to work really well.  Tee shot is a bit of bite as much as you can chew.

The approach in with the bunker protecting the green about 30 yards short.  Not to say the bunker right was bad, just didn't see it as necessary.

#8 - Par 5 - Second of back to back par 5s.  Better bust a big one to have any hope of getting home in two here.

The layup really made you think as these bunkers were right in the way of where one wants to layup to.

The approach in from short and right of the green.

#9 - Par 4 - Visually just an outstanding hole that plays good too.

The approach in after a indifferent drive, longer hitters can go over the bunker.

Back 9 to follow shortly.......

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:40:52 PM by Kalen Braley »

Phil Benedict

Re: A final goodbye to Beechtree - with pics
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »
Kalen,

This is an all-time great post. The observation about enforcing the frost delay when the courses about to close is priceless.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:10:37 AM by Phil Benedict »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:38:14 PM »
Back 9..

#10 - Par 4 - Sorry I spaced it, forgot to take snaps.

#11 - Par 4 - A neat shorty par 4.  From the tee with the green tucked left.

The approach in after "safely" playing out to the right.  Ok it was an ugly tee shot, but it was still a good angle.   ;)

#12 - Par 4 - Up and over is its name..rightly so.

A look into the green with a very well hidden bunker lurking left.

#13 - Par 3 - This medium length par 3 played damn tough with the frozen green.   ;D

#14 - Par 4 - 1st of two long par 4's.  A great view from the tee.

The approach where left is in big trouble.

A closer look at this wickedly undulating green.  Very nice golf hole.

#15 - Par 4 - Headed back in other direction

The approach in.

#16 - Par 3 - A neat little short 1 shotter.

#17 - Par 4 -  Hands down my favorite hole on the course. It really is deceptive looking from the tee.  The landing area is not clear at all.

But a wide fairway reveals itself when you get up there.  Key is to hug the bunkering left to get the best angle into the well protected green.

#18 - Par 5 - A mid length 5 to return home.  From the tee.

A look in at the approach from 140ish.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
Kalen,

Thanks for sharing.  Bummer as well.

Unfortunately, many more closures like this can be expected.  Rough year ahead in that respect.

At least, you had the opportunity to play it.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
Phil,

It really was a blast despite the fact that we froze our a$$es off...it was well worth the play.

Also forgot to mention someone stole the pin on #7 as it sits in the corner of the property....the nerve of some people.   ::)  ::)

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
I bet there wasn't a whole lot of tipping going on in this twosome!   ;D ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
I bet there wasn't a whole lot of tipping going on in this twosome!   ;D ;D

Ha ha,

You would be right there.  There was a bag drop but we both proceeded to the parking lot and made the long 90 foot trek to the clubhouse with bags in tow.   ;)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
Thanks for the pics Kalen. Sorry I had to bail on you boys.  Beautiful day, if a tad cool.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
Thanks for the pics Kalen. Sorry I had to bail on you boys.  Beautiful day, if a tad cool.

Not a problem..we'll be sure to NOT invite you next time.    ;)

It was dang cold though, holy crap.  I'm used to this non-humid cold here in Utah.  ;D

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
damn, i wish i played it.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 01:00:31 AM »
Kalen,

Where were you for dinner in Philly later?   Kyle made it!  ;D

We could have gone to a punk club afterwards, but instead I was left drinking wine and eating epicurean food with a bunch of golf course archeologists at some high-end course near Rittenhouse Square.

You would have warmed up slam-dancing in seconds.  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:41 AM »
Kalen,

Where were you for dinner in Philly later?   Kyle made it!  ;D

We could have gone to a punk club afterwards, but instead I was left drinking wine and eating epicurean food with a bunch of golf course archeologists at some high-end course near Rittenhouse Square.

You would have warmed up slam-dancing in seconds.  ;)

Mike,

So sorry you were subjected to such horrible evening company.  ;D

As for myself I was enjoying a wonderful night of drinking, fine dining, and dancing at the Landsdowne Resort.  I'm a little bummed  you didn't show up for our scheduled midnight walk of the Greg Norman course though.   ???   ::)

P.S.  You should have seen me on the dance floor, I was heating things up and the ladies couldn't keep thier hands off me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:06:32 AM by Kalen Braley »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »
Kalen,

I'm sure once word spread that you were a GCA regular, the groupies dove right in.    ;)

Sometimes, it's the burden we bear for our hot, passionate, deep knowledge of the playing fields of the game, as annoying as it can be.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:29:48 AM »
Like I said, "Big Love"  ;)

Great pics of a course I always wanted to see but never had the chance. Just too many other things to see while in Philly, to make that trip there--and I'm paying a price for it. The once was fortunate to me the original owners of Beechtree at the Apache Stronghold Renaissance Cup. Some really super people. I find it hard to believe that they would have been behind this 're-development', because they lied golf too much. (or so it seemed.)

James Bennett

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 05:33:25 AM »
Kalen

the 'missing' 10th hole.  Tee shot and approach.

RIP

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27:55 AM »
Thanks for posting that James.

The day we played, it had a tucked back right pin placement and made for some very interesting approach shots on a completely frozen solid green.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
What is the story with this track - is it going under? Converted to housing?

Reason I ask - wondering if a good possibility for private / semi-private GCA.com club.

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
It is truly sad to see a course like this go under. 

I like the GCA.com private club idea!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 10:06:07 AM »
Not a problem..we'll be sure to NOT invite you next time.  

Kalen, with one round played this year after April 3rd (coincidentally at Beechtree), believe me, I was dying to play. Oh, to play with you and Kyle as well, of course  ;D

Interesting, I had two rounds this year fall through, and they both involved Kyle.... ::)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »
Chip,

Here are the details on the closure. http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2008/07/28/daily2.html

As for buying it up as a GCA.com semi-private club...I doubt it would be anywhere close to affordable unless Mr. Money bag Huck decided to sell his shares of Yahoo and donate the proceeds to the cause. ;)

Andy,

THanks for the clarification...sorry its been a tough golfing year for you.  Just glad to hear you didn't come because of Kyle not me!! 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:49:32 AM by Kalen Braley »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »
My second round at Beechtree became bittersweet as the day progressed. Not only had my mind's eye given me a subdued memory of the place, but I began to realize that this would be the first time I had played a course so near and aware of its closing.

I remarked to Kalen during the round that I had forgotten how good the golf course was. For example, I remembered the first hole to be much flatter and straighter and the green as being a much bigger target than it was. I had forgotten how much the depression on the left side of the 14th green confounded any miscue on the approach.

That being said, this remains the only Tom Doak designed golf course I have played, to date. I believe that my time spent at Mountain Lake has helped me see some of the Seth Raynor influences in this architecture at Beechtree. The 12th green sits as an extension to the fairway, complete with subtle Hog's Back ridge in the approach, and squares up quite nicely with the left green side bunker. The 16th green sits along another ridge squared into the hillside with bunkers cut out of the fill pad - again - in much the same manner as Seth Raynor. I am particularly struck by the left edge of the 16th green... is this Tom Doak or a Raynor "Short?"

The 13th hole is named "Eden," but it's obviously a very subdued version really only copying the bunker scheme (and Cockle and Shell Bunkers here are blended together). A good par 3 with a subtle bump at the entrance, however, and it's not quite fair to compare this so-called "Eden" to others more complete in their template nature.

I learned one thing about Beechtree, and that it was a course that was worth playing a few dozen times to really pick out a number of the subtleties. The conversation between Kalen and I regarding the tee shot on 17 would be worth the price of admission alone, as my somewhat fuzzy memory of the place and his complete unfamiliarity with the hole lead to some very astute observation as to what Tom was just trying to tell us with the bunker positioning.

Sadly, I will not get a chance to go back.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
1)  A wedge, much less an iron, hit to a frozen green will not hold, putting a premium on the bump and run game which was an absolute blast to play on this course.

You had to travel all the way to the right coast to learn this?  ??? ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Bennett

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Kyle

did you notice any holes where other hole's flags appeared in your line of sight?  That seems to be a 'touch of Doak' which you might also see on UK links.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »
Kyle,

Thats a pretty good breakdown of the back nine...there really was a lot of subtle stuff going on there that I still pick up when I take a look back at the chips.

I really loved that 17th hole and for such a medium to short par 4 hole it was amazing how much mis-direction was going on.  I'm glad we finally figured out just to aim out to the right and hope for the best...although you hit a fine drive there.  ;D

P.S.  Thanks for not mentioning my ugly double chip on 15....my 1st time ever.  Jeff Maggert I feel your pain...well sort of.  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
Kyle

did you notice any holes where other hole's flags appeared in your line of sight?  That seems to be a 'touch of Doak' which you might also see on UK links.

James B

James B.

Yes! So much so that Kalen even pointed it out. Most noteworthy was the 1st and 8th greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back