News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Interesting discussion on the location bias / preferences on a few other threads.

I often wonder whether the knock on Old Head would hold as much vigor / water if the layout were located in the States?

It seems those heading to Ireland have a clear picture on what "bonafide" links golf must be. If Old Head weren't located on the Emerald Isle would it be free of that "must" element that it faces with other courses such as Lahinch, Ballybunion, et al?

Would a States-side connection elevate the course to an even higher position?

Does being in the right location allow for courses to be free of any immediate cross comparisons or is such a premise completely out of bounds?

Andrew Summerell

Re: Would Old Head be rated higher if located in the States instead ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
Matt,

As I stated in the other thread, my view concerning problems with location is only to do with people bothering to go out of the way to play the course. In other words, SOME more remote courses are just not seen by enough panelists.

I don’t believe Old Head has suffered in that way. I can’t see how anybody serious about golf courses would be affected in any other way.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
Andrew:

I think you missed my point / re: Old Head.

People who go to Ireland want a realistic connection to particular courses --let's say those that are bonafide links.

Old Head is not a links and therefore has taken a number of hits on that front because people quite rightly throw it up against the likes of places like Lahinch and Ballybunion, to name just two of that type.

If Old Head were located in the States -- the "links" dimension would not be part of the overall ratings weight that the course would likely have to overcome. 

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:32:16 PM »
Matt

I don't think Old Head would be rated any higher if it was in the US rather then here. It's rated on the quality of it's design rather then any question whether it's a true links or not.

If anything the location of Old Head has lead to it's position in the rankings.

The Old Head is a great golf experience, it's not necessarily a great golf course.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »
Padraig:

So you see Old Head as being "all show" and "no tell?"

Dan Boerger

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »
It's hard to conjecture if Old Head would be rated higher by some (most even) were it located in the states. As Padraig mentions it is a great golf experience, and one that I've enjoyed numerous times. Some spectacular holes (2, 3, 4, 7, 12), and not solely because they are cliffside. Some more mundane holes (1, 18) and one downright silly (IMO) (17). No doubt the requirement to put 18 holes, a practice area and a world class clubhouse all contributed to some design challenges.

It's as unfair to compare it to those links' greats such as Lahinch, Ballybunion, etc. as it would be to compare it to Fota Island. Yet, since most of us Yanks cram these courses in on the same trip, such comparison is inevitable.

But conjecture I will --- Were Old Head located here, I think there would be more polarized opinions about it. I suspect the PR machine would keep the tee times chock full, but many a 'purist' would scoff at it.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »
Matt

What I'm saying about the Old Head is it is a good golf course in a great location.

Dan

I don't think it's unfair to compare Old Head to Lahinch, Ballybunion or even Fota Island. The Old Head isn't in the same class as Lahinch or Ballybunion but it's still a golf course people should experience.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:51:44 AM »
Old Head is only a decent course.  Other than a few non GCAers, Old Head is considered a links course just as the perception is that Pebble, Spyglass dunes holes, and Cypress Point are links courses.  It probably would be ranked higher in the US because the wow factor seems to be of greater value than the bones of a course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back