News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Pitching and Putting course at Huntingdon Valley...
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:15:37 PM »
Is anyone aware of a short Pitching and Putting course at the Huntingdon Valley CC (the one prior to today's location in the teens)?

It was supposed to have been near the clubhouse along the entrance drive.

Appreciate any help on this...

Tom Naccarato

Re: Pitching and Putting course at Huntingdon Valley...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »
Phil,
Did Tillie design this?

(By asking this, I'm hoping to wish Wayne the most happiest of New Years while raising his blood pressure a few notches! :D Wayne, I'll call you soon!)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:31:47 PM »
In the March 1916 issue of Golf Illustrated Tilly, writing as "Hazard," stated, "Mr. Cameron B. Buxton has presented the Huntingdon Valley Country Club with a 'Lilliput' approaching and putting course. Models are being prepared and the miniature links will be constructed near the clubhouse along the entrance drive..."

I have been aware of a letter written by Buxton for quite some time now in which he mentions commissioning Tilly to design a "Lilliput Links" course for Huntingdon Valley. This is the first corroboration that I have been able to find for it.

Tilly referring to it as a "Lilliput" design is important as he copyrighted this phrase and miniature course design concept in the early teens.

The Tillinghast Association knows of 5 of these and this will be #6.

We have images of several of his drawings for courses that were built. One can be seen in his 1915 advertising booklet "On Building Golf Courses." This was for the Rainey Estate in Huntington, New York. Today that property is the site of the Huntington Crescent Country Club. THere doesn't appear to be any remnants of the "lilliput Links" left.

What we don't have are photographs and would dearly love to locate some to add to our collection if at all possible.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »
Is it possible this is just an early practice green and short game area?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »
Kyle,

There is no way of knowing. Every one that we know of occupied a number of acres, usually with various tees allowing for, as an example, one site we know having three greens yet nine holes with pars ranging from 3 to 5.

Yet Tilly also wrote that "Lilliput Links are planned to occupy any space, and vary in size from the large putting green, on which four or five holes may be placed, to the more ambitious tracts of several acres." He also mentioned that the models made for them would "show every undulation and hazard..."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:55:30 PM »
Kyle,

There is no way of knowing. Every one that we know of occupied a number of acres, usually with various tees allowing for, as an example, one site we know having three greens yet nine holes with pars ranging from 3 to 5.

Yet Tilly also wrote that "Lilliput Links are planned to occupy any space, and vary in size from the large putting green, on which four or five holes may be placed, to the more ambitious tracts of several acres." He also mentioned that the models made for them would "show every undulation and hazard..."

That makes sense.

The Noble site was very constricted, so I'd speculate it was more the large putting green type with maybe a small practice fairway.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:44:46 AM »
Bump!

For those that may not have seen this question and might have a few ideas as to where an answer may be found...

Matt OBrien

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:14 AM »
I know that there is a green out front of the clubhouse that is not used for play. It is extremely flat so i can not imagine that is it. Other then that I dont know where this could be.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:14:23 AM »
Phil,

Since the Huntingdon Valley course at Noble is NLE, I'm thinking that we should be looking for clues in the Dallin aerials.   There are a fair number of the original HVGC course from the 20s.

What year did Tilly mention that this would/might be built?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 04:58:54 AM »
Mike,

It would have been built around 1916...

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:07:36 AM »
Philip
I took a quick look on the Dallin site and the earliest aerial was from 1926, the rest were from 1938. When did HV move?
Neil

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:41:24 AM »
Neil,

The club's website says the "mid-1920's" and then also adds that the new clubhouse was built at the same time as the golf course and then says the clubhouse was opened in 1928.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:58:19 AM »
I have an extensive review of the early history of HVCC dated 1925 from J.E. Ford of the North American.  There is no mention of any pitch and putt course.

This is the 1926 photo of the old course, I think, from Dallin:

I'm guessing you could order a high-resolution version of this from the Hagley Museum.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back