News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

If you could caddy at one golf course,
« on: December 08, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »
which one would YOU pick ?

Why ?

Caddie fees are disqualified as a reason and so is playing there on caddy day.

Chris Kane

Re: If you could caddy at one golf course,
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »
The Old Course.

Steepest learning curve of anywhere I've seen, so I think I'd get a lot of satisfaction from getting to know it intimately over hundreds of rounds, and doing a better job as a result.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »
Although I've never been I would say Cypress Point for the scenery and the comfortable weather.

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 10:37:06 PM »
I can't think of a reason to want to caddy every day at a different course than I'd want to play every day if I don't get to include fees or playing privileges in the equation.

For that reason, I'd choose Cypress.  Interesting, varied terrain, wonderful golf holes, terrific scenery, and terrific climate.

If caddie fees were part of the equation, I'd need to do a bit more research. 

If playing rights are included, then it would be hard to beat Bandon with the soon to be four courses.  Forget about "caddie day."  Hard to beat open access at those courses as long as there's open spots and you aren't working no matter how nice the private alternative may be.

I'd be interested in the rationale if anyone's answer is different than "if you could only play one course."  If this is the case, then please expand because I'm probably just not thinking this through.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
I would pick NGLA just to see how different everyone plays the golf holes.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »
I'd find a nice private club near San Diego because, well, I'm a pussy and I want the weather to be perfect while I make some coin off of bad golfers who think they're better than they really are. And, a proliferation of IBG......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jordan Wall

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
Patrick,

There are many courses I would love to caddy at.  As a caddy, you almost get to understand a course better because instead of focusing on your own game, you notice the little nuances of a course.  You notice subtle breaks in greens, certain parts of a fairway that might give you a boost, or certain spots to hit it to get to certain pin locations.  In essence, caddying will bring out the subtleties of a golf course, and that is what allows you to gain the real knowledge of how the course works and was designed.

But, I also believe there is more to caddying then just seeing a golf courses.  Caddying at places like Augusta, National, Cypress, or Chicago (just to name a few) gives you the oppurtunity to meet some really cool people and to learn from them.  Caddying at Seattle Golf Club, I not only learned about the course but also things from the finer parts of golf course etiquette, to how to run a business, to hearing about exotic places such as the Amazon and the savannas of Africa.  Though that might sound a bit odd, but I always found things like that very cool and an extra bonus to caddying.  Not to mention some people are just a treat to be around.  I've made some pretty cool friendships and player-caddy bonds through caddying.

Caddying exemplifies what I like about golf.  First hand experience on a course, many times, and the chance to meet and interact with some very cool people.

To answer your question, I bet it would be really cool to caddy in a place like South Africa, at perhaps Durban CC.  I can imagine you would meet some super cool people, and be in what looks to be one of the coolest places on earth.

Cheers,
Jordan
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:48:41 PM by Jordan Wall »

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:50:51 PM »
Metropolitan Golf Links, in Oakland, CA. Everybody should experience a caddy at least once, and I know that there would be at least one group keeping pace.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »
I have to agree w/ Tim, CPC wins. The Maidstone would be my second choice. The atmosphere is just surreal and the weather is such that you never know what you are going to get.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 10:52:27 PM »
Having grown up caddying, I feel strongly about the job.  Id have to say that from a learning standpoint, TOC is obvious.  However, just as I think I could live and play there the rest of my life, I think I could caddy there too...Bandon.  So much variety, it could take a long time to get that place down.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Plainfield - Even I could make the walk.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Will MacEwen

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »
Ladies Golf Club of Toronto.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »
Patrick,

There are many courses I would love to caddy at.  As a caddy, you almost get to understand a course better because instead of focusing on your own game, you notice the little nuances of a course.  You notice subtle breaks in greens, certain parts of a fairway that might give you a boost, or certain spots to hit it to get to certain pin locations.  In essence, caddying will bring out the subtleties of a golf course, and that is what allows you to gain the real knowledge of how the course works and was designed.

But, I also believe there is more to caddying then just seeing a golf courses.  Caddying at places like Augusta, National, Cypress, or Chicago (just to name a few) gives you the oppurtunity to meet some really cool people and to learn from them.  Caddying at Seattle Golf Club, I not only learned about the course but also things from the finer parts of golf course etiquette, to how to run a business, to hearing about exotic places such as the Amazon and the savannas of Africa.  Though that might sound a bit odd, but I always found things like that very cool and an extra bonus to caddying.  Not to mention some people are just a treat to be around.  I've made some pretty cool friendships and player-caddy bonds through caddying.

Caddying exemplifies what I like about golf.  First hand experience on a course, many times, and the chance to meet and interact with some very cool people.

To answer your question, I bet it would be really cool to caddy in a place like South Africa, at perhaps Durban CC.  I can imagine you would meet some super cool people, and be in what looks to be one of the coolest places on earth.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan - Agreed on all counts having grown up caddying myself. I have caddying to thank for my young but so far successful business career. Through relationships and friendships I built as a caddy I landed two internships during college to get me into the business world as well as get my first interview and foot in the door at my current job working in commercial real estate. Not to mention the endless free business advice and very many interesting stories you hear from some very genuinely good people on the course.

If I had to choose one course to caddy at it would be Pasatiempo. They don't have much of a caddy program there now but obviously I would change that. :) I would enjoy the ability to caddy both for the local members and those enjoying the course as guests. Also from my one round there I know that it has a very steep learning curve especially on the green and having a skilled and experienced caddy there could pay huge dividends on a players round. (5-10 strokes could be attainable) Not too mention a fantastic MacKenzie design that is both an interesting and varied walk but also on the shorter side. I don't think I would ever get sick of loopin there.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
Patrick,

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan,

Unless things have changed since my day, you would be the only white guy in the Caddy Shack.

Bob

Lou_Duran

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »
I would say MPCC for Bob Huntley, exclusively, but it might seem that I am just trying to kiss the great man's a_ _.  So, I choose Cypress Point, my favorite course in the world.  It is as close to perfect as a club course can be, peerless in its natural beauty, subject to enough weather and wind to make it interesting and varied, and likely has a good cadre of fascinating, accomplished members and guests.  Oh, and by the way, I would carry for Sir Huntley any time there, for free.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »
If it wasn't for the clientele I think it's the Old Course and it's a no brainer. However I think I might assault my third or fourth client, so maybe I should go go somewhere where I could learn the subtleties of a great course and maybe meet a class of people I might get along better with. So how about Dornoch? I couldn't do a worse job that the guy who bagged for me! Or maybe Seminole? But you get some iffy New Yorkers down there...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 01:33:37 AM »
Patrick,

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan,

Unless things have changed since my day, you would be the only white guy in the Caddy Shack.

Bob

Bob,

Since your day, we now have a black president.

I think they could do well with a young, white kid.  It would be interesting to say the least, both for them and for me.

Cheers,
Jordan
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:36:30 AM by Jordan Wall »

Joe Bentham

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 01:37:15 AM »
South Africa isn't the US...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »
South Africa isn't the US...

Joe,

Assuming you read the original post, where does it limit the country the course must be in?

I must have missed something.

Cheers,
Jordan

Chris Kane

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:55:14 AM »
Jordan, I think his point was that race relations in South Africa are a generation or two behind what they are in America.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 02:02:05 AM »
Chris, Joe,

My apologies.

Didn't even consider that.

Cheers,
Jordan

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 02:19:12 AM »
Hit the wayback button and caddy at Lido . . . .

Mike Sweeney

Re: If you could caddy at one golf course, New
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 05:46:47 AM »
Already did it the summer after graduation from BC.

My commute started out as a bike ride through downtown Newport along the wharf:

and the Inn at Castle Hill where I ultimately got engaged:

and Bretton Point to watch the kite sailers:

I then arrived at my office for the day:

and carried a bag for the members and their nieces:

and also for PGA Champion Jerry Barber at a early Senior Tournament at Newport CC:

After work, I would bike home via the Newport Cottages:

and stop for a swim at "Second Beach"

Dinner was typically at "The Outdoor Pearl"

The drinking would start at The Wharf Deli (now Pub, but it was a pub when it was "The Deli")

The bars would close at midnight in Newport, so of course we would catch the last hour of drinking till 1:00 AM in Middletown at The Landing:

It was the summer after Dennis Connor lost The Americas Cup to the Aussies, but there were still Aussie women running around. At last call at 1:00 AM at The Landing in Middletown they all looked like this:

Reality would set in and I would have to pick up my roommate/fellow caddy and get him home:

and start all over the next day:

Needless to say I did not learn anything about architecture that summer!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:24:56 PM by Mike Sweeney »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »
Mike,
Great photo essay.  I'm sure it was just like that.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »
Sweeney Mike, that is the picto-narrative post of the year. Click here for your prize.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back