News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Ryan

Re: If you could caddy at one golf course,
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:25 AM »
Patrick,

I suspect most folks will answer in relation to the courses they would want to see first hand from an architectural standpoint.

I'll answer as a former caddie.  Here is what I was concerned with while caddying in high school and college:

How much money are we going to make (you have taken this variable out in this scenario)

How quickly are we going to get around (greens and tees close together, little to no elevation change)

How good are the players we are looping for (caddying is a joy when you are walking down the middle of the fairway with two bags, and simply handing people their putters at the 150 yard mark and not raking many bunkers)

How well are we going to get treated (may be some disagreement here amongst caddies and former caddies, but I only wanted someone to remember my name and treat me with respect through the round)

I'll vote for Pine Tree Golf Club in Boynton Beach, FL and getting Mr. Mucci and guests on a Saturday afternoon in January/February in the late 90's....

Of courses I have played since, I would say the following:

Dallas Country Club (great golfing membership, Texas hospitality, a course squeezed onto a tiny, flat piece of property)

Royal Troon (if I was caddying for members and not the tour bus full of Americans like me...the speed of play slow down enormously)

Westhampton Country Club (flat, lots of Irish last names running around that place...I think I would fit in fine in the caddie ranks out there)

From a pure architectural standpoint, I would say places like Seminole, NGLA, and Cypress in that I would want to see them in various conditions on a day in/day out basis.

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »
 Ballybunion---I would love to see the expressions on players' faces change as they move toward the #7 hole.
AKA Mayday

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »

Pebble Beach for the pure beauty. I even considered it for a while.

Anthony

Rich Goodale

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 09:19:37 AM »
No course, except for any course if caddying for a friend.

Otherwise, caddying is a demeaning and long overdue to be cryit doon relic of the class system of 19th century Britain.

Have a nice day! :)

Rich

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »
Seminole.

Flat.
Warm weather.
Designed by the greatest architect of all time.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

hick

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
Mike, I live next door to that Newport cottage in your picture, as I work for one of the founders of Newport CC. After 13 years i skipped the engaged part and got married here in the spring. Heading down to the post office today and lunch at the Black pearl.  Mid Ocean club for the loop for life.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 09:46:48 AM »
Mike-

You still have any contacts at Newport in case I lose my job ;D

Chip

JLahrman

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
- Someplace flat

- Someplace where I'm not going to spend all day in the woods looking for balls

- Someplace with a caddy-friendly culture and membership

Architecture is all well and good, but takes a big backseat to other aspects if I'm caddying.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:29:34 AM by JAL »

Matt OBrien

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 10:19:19 AM »
I would have to say Squires Golf Club in Philadelphia. Squires is an all mens club and they have 2 rules at the club. Play Fast and Pay bets. Avg Rounds there are about 3 hours and you dont have to put up with women. Also the pay is amazing.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »
Guess raking bunkers ain't your thing, Dave?

And you know what, I'd guess Swinley Forest also meets all the JAL requirements; and I'd look at it as he does also.

So put me down for that one also.  You and I can bet on our loops.

TH

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

That is one of the funniest posts of all time.  Nice job! 

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »
Patrick,

I suspect most folks will answer in relation to the courses they would want to see first hand from an architectural standpoint.

I'll answer as a former caddie.  Here is what I was concerned with while caddying in high school and college:

How much money are we going to make (you have taken this variable out in this scenario)

How quickly are we going to get around (greens and tees close together, little to no elevation change)

How good are the players we are looping for (caddying is a joy when you are walking down the middle of the fairway with two bags, and simply handing people their putters at the 150 yard mark and not raking many bunkers)

How well are we going to get treated (may be some disagreement here amongst caddies and former caddies, but I only wanted someone to remember my name and treat me with respect through the round)

I'll vote for Pine Tree Golf Club in Boynton Beach, FL and getting Mr. Mucci and guests on a Saturday afternoon in January/February in the late 90's....

Of courses I have played since, I would say the following:

Dallas Country Club (great golfing membership, Texas hospitality, a course squeezed onto a tiny, flat piece of property)

Royal Troon (if I was caddying for members and not the tour bus full of Americans like me...the speed of play slow down enormously)

Westhampton Country Club (flat, lots of Irish last names running around that place...I think I would fit in fine in the caddie ranks out there)

From a pure architectural standpoint, I would say places like Seminole, NGLA, and Cypress in that I would want to see them in various conditions on a day in/day out basis.

Being a caddy at DCC would be a sweet little gig, the lone hill is the bridge over the road. Maybe Mr. Warren has looped out there.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »
Tom, I picked it because it's short and people play fast over there....

I have no doubt it's those things also.  But you don't fool me.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »
While CPC would be tough to turn down for a caddy gig, I'd have to go with Bandon.... assuming that as a Caddie at Bandon you'd get to caddy on 4 different courses on some type of rotational basis.

JC Jones

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
While CPC would be tough to turn down for a caddy gig, I'd have to go with Bandon.... assuming that as a Caddie at Bandon you'd get to caddy on 4 different courses on some type of rotational basis.

I made the choice operating on that assumption.  To me, that seems better than choosing just one course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JESII

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »
which one would YOU pick ?

Why ?

Caddie fees are disqualified as a reason and so is playing there on caddy day.

If pay is disqualified, why are we caddying?

If the point of the question is to learn something from the course, wouldn't it have to be St. Andrews or Pine Valley or Royal Mellbourne or one of the other top 20 courses in the world?

If that is not the point of the question, then what is?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:50 AM »
One could make a very good (relatively) living caddying at Dornoch, but you have to be a member to be a caddy.  Wonder how that policy would work at NGLA or CPC or Chicago or Muirfield?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
One could make a very good (relatively) living caddying at Dornoch, but you have to be a member to be a caddy.  Wonder how that policy would work at NGLA or CPC or Chicago or Muirfield?

LOL!
Hell of a question.   ;D

OK, so if I have to do this, screw Swinley Forest - I'll put up with raking and toting for obnoxious visitors.  I think I would enjoy living there, and the caddy fees would help defray my membership costs.

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Patrick,

To answer your question, I bet it would be really cool to caddy in a place like South Africa, at perhaps Durban CC.  I can imagine you would meet some super cool people, and be in what looks to be one of the coolest places on earth.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan,

Unless things have changed since my day, you would be the only white guy in the Caddy Shack.

Bob

Bob,

Since your day, we now have a black president.

I think they could do well with a young, white kid.  It would be interesting to say the least, both for them and for me.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan

Your point about a new President is well taken, but would you want to displace a man who's whole livelihood is the job at hand, at a very meagre fee, whereas your interest is purely for the experience?

Bob

PCCraig

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »
I came pretty close to perfect while looping at TCC-Brookline through college in Boston. It was a 3 mile bike ride uphill at 5 in the morning and not great pay (compared to Chicago), but you can't beat free golf on Mondays (playing 45 holes from noon to 7pm in the rain all alone on the course) and Thursday mornings on the Primrose before class. Also, nothing like being a broke college kid  and getting $200 cash in your hand around 5pm on a Saturday evening in the greatest college town in the world (what to do...what to do).

Great photo essay Mike.
H.P.S.

John Moore II

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
I would caddy at Liberty National. I spoke with a pro from there while I was in Florida, Don Brigham, and he said that something like 25 of the members there are Fortune 500 CEO's. I'd go there just for the ability to network with these types of people.

I am sure other clubs have this type of membership as well, but this is the one that comes to mind that I have first hand information on, so thats why I'd pick it. Not to mention, I'd have off 6 months of the year.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
I would caddy at Liberty National. I spoke with a pro from there while I was in Florida, Don Brigham, and he said that something like 25 of the members there are Fortune 500 CEO's. I'd go there just for the ability to network with these types of people.

I am sure other clubs have this type of membership as well, but this is the one that comes to mind that I have first hand information on, so thats why I'd pick it. Not to mention, I'd have off 6 months of the year.

I was just up at liberty national the other day and I was amazed at the bridge they had to build just to get into the place. That bridge was a few million in itself. Are the numbers posted anywhere on the cost to build that place?

John Moore II

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 02:23:55 PM »

I was just up at liberty national the other day and I was amazed at the bridge they had to build just to get into the place. That bridge was a few million in itself. Are the numbers posted anywhere on the cost to build that place?

I have heard the total cost of Liberty National was in the range of $125 million. But that was partly because it was built on a HazMat location. Not sure if they got SuperFund money for Liberty like they managed to get at Old Works.

Joe Fairey

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
TOC....did it in summer of 2006 ...one of the best experiences of my life...

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 02:37:08 PM »
The Old Course, because of both the architecture and the ease of the walk - 36 per day is very doable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back