News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Nominations for the "Goodale 30 Funkiest"
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
Kalen - nah, I thought of Lake Chabot.  If the standard is Lincoln Park barely making it - and I think it is - jeez, look at the UK courses these are compared to - then Lake Chabot doesn't merit mention.  It's not that funky and it's funkiest hole is a par 6 in name only.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »
Kalen - nah, I thought of Lake Chabot.  If the standard is Lincoln Park barely making it - and I think it is - jeez, look at the UK courses these are compared to - then Lake Chabot doesn't merit mention.  It's not that funky and it's funkiest hole is a par 6 in name only.

TH

Tom,

You may well be right....probably alot closer to quirky as opposed to downright funky!!  Good to hear you hadn't forgot about that one.

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »
Goat Hill on Shelter Island
7 out of 9 holes blind, 4 of 9 greens run away from you
pure magic
sloping greens that if stimped above 6 would be unplayable
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 04:05:21 PM »

I nominate Victoria Golf Club, Victoria B.C. The holes compacted onto the peninsula out into the Juan de Fuca Straight are nothing if not funky.

Bob J

James Bennett

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »
Painswick Yes

North Berwick West Yes

Lost Canyons - No.  Funk is probably the wrong word.  Close to the right word though.

Down Under, what about Portsea (at least in its current state, pre-amendment).  It's the closest that I can think of that contains a mix of class, quirk, interest and staying true to the land.

And, back in Scotland, what about Rich's home course?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »
The Island Club

Cruden Bay

C. Sturges

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:27 PM »
I would like to nominate Ocean Dunes in Oregon.  Very tight and fun!  Also love Cruden Bay, but was thinking about Siloth on Sollway, some very funky green sites tucked in the dunes.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »
Nominations -
Cullen
The Dunes (Mornington)
Royal New Kent
St Enedoc
Nefyn & District (Original)
Pennard

Second
The Macrie
Astoria

Pat Burke

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 01:50:16 AM »
Some Arizona entries:

1.  Fred Enke - Tucson

2.  Starr Pass -  Tucson - shots up cliffs.  A 320 yard par four over a mountain that usually requires a 150 yard blind shot to a 7 yard deep green that slopes away with a bunker in front.

Prestwick and Tot Hill Farm also must be in the running.
I thought Starpass when I read funky, but just couldn't get past how bad I thought the course was.
In the name of funky, I'll give it a second for you ;)

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:03 AM »
My computer bookmark for Golf Club Atlas is right above the teenage sluts website, so I inadvertently logged in. But as long as I am here, there is no reason not to sit down and be counted.

Somewhere in a box canyon above I-85 lies Saratoga CC - a place so far removed from the radar screen of the GCA intelligentsia that I would be willing to bet that not even America's Guest (read: Huckster) has managed to weasel his way past its mysterious portals.

This hidden zirconium in the Santa Cruz mountains reminds me of an obscure sub-chapter of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother - a composition so esoteric and unusual, Waters and Gilmour titled it "Funky Dung."

Nine holes, two sets of tees with a par of 68. Minimum six degree pitch on each green, usually rolling at speeds to make Green Hills look like Sharp Park (insider Nor Cal reference). The golf course - aside from the par-3's - is a series of dogleg-left par-4's, featuring fairways so narrow that a two club-length drop from the short grass guarantees a lie in deep rough or out of bounds.

Saratoga is an enormously entertaining match-play venue because there is risk reward on every hole. Sadly, it takes more discipline than I bring to the game to pull a five-iron out on the tee of three par-4's; the penalty for bravado is a snowman or worse. Shooting 83 on a golf course of less than 4600 yards can be embarrassing for my bulbous, Brobdingnagian ego.

That is a real word. Look it up.

Royal St. Saratoga also has that annoying quality of seeming harder the more times you play it. Like Sambo, you don't get dizzy and turn to butter right away, but by the fourth circuit through the gauntlet, the fairways get narrower, the greens more terrifying and birdies more impossible.

Finally, in the final round of their Invitational, with the Stimp meter shrieking past 13 and climbing in the afternoon sun, abject terror finally sets in. Inevitably, just as the booze and sedatives begin to wear off on the final nine, a two-footer horseshoes out of the hole, sleds off the green and doesn't stop rolling until it reaches downtown Los Gatos.

This explains finishing 2nd four years in a row. My partner finally fired me for being Steve DeBerg. I played just well enough to lose at the end . . . . In truth, it is a relief not to suffer through 36 holes of hyperventilation over tap-ins any more.

The strange thing is that so invisible is this nasty little snake, that the only evidence the club exists at all can be found in wedding testimonials from brides and their filthy rich mothers.

Thus, I nominate Saratoga CC (CA) for inclusion in the Godale's Funkdelic 30. Certainly, if anyone with too much time on their hands ever assembled a list of the strangest nine-holers, this could take its place as the American version of an Irish Pitch & Putt.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program, Hotties in Heat.

Here is a Google link to the golf course:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=21990+prospect+road,+saratoga,+ca&sll=33.448263,-112.073821&sspn=1.326874,2.719116&g=phoenix,+az&ie=UTF8&ll=37.28346,-122.053438&spn=0.004943,0.010622&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:08:52 AM by Gib Papazian »

Pat Burke

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:50 AM »
I would nominate the Bayonet at Ft Ord
Especially in the days when the tree branches were allowed to exist all the way to the ground.
Like playing golf with giant Hoover vacuums pulling at your tee shots

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 02:10:42 AM »
Pat,

Goodale said "funky," not idiotic.

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 02:24:36 AM »
Nominations -
Cullen
The Dunes (Mornington)
Royal New Kent
St Enedoc
Nefyn & District (Original)
Pennard

Second
The Macrie
Astoria

I spose how folks are using the term in this thread, I would have to 2nd Pennard and St Enodoc.  Though to be truthful, I think of these as good, honest lay of the land golf. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Philip Spogard

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 05:15:30 AM »
I would nominate Rye.

It is so quirky in places that you would almost have to have played it 3 or 4 times just to know where you are going.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
Nominate Kington.
Nominate Elie.

I'll second Elie - sixteen par 4s but everyone of them plays differently.

I'll nominate Shiskine - twelve holes of pure funk
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »
I wouldn't call my home course of Aberdour "funky," but playing it this past Sunday in a league match, with 18 winter greens and permafrost fairways and greens, when 4 players ranging in handicap from 0-6 hit a total of 5 GIR and had a total of 2 birdies, on a course measuring no more than 4,700 yards, it was as RosannaDannaPenna once said--"It's always something!"

Of course, since Winter Golf is defind by the 3-C's--camaraderie, competition and consumption--that something ain't bad.....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 09:43:25 AM »
Especially in the days when the tree branches were allowed to exist all the way to the ground.

I knew I liked you, Pat.  I dug the long hair (that was you in the playing days, right?), dug what I thought was the attitude (from what I could tell from afar).

Now reading this... anyone who can nominate the old Bayonet as funky, well you are my kinda guy.

It was funky.  It was also impossibly difficult, in an absolutely penal to the max way.  Good god was it idiotic, as Gib says.  But it was also the ultimate test of golf and while I usually hate stupidly penal courses, this one was just so PERFECT in this... well... god help me I did love it so.

Notice the past tense though - over the years the trees got massively cut back or cut down... it was emasculated... and recently they did a full renovation, ostensibly to improve conditions (which really didn't need improving), but also to make it more user-friendly as it transitions into becoming a resort - a hotel is being built on-site also.   

Most will love the old course... I weep for what once was.

So SECONDED re the old Bayonet - that is if courses that no longer exist count for this.  I cannot imagine that the new Bayonet will be funky, or unique, or lovable in any way shape or form.

And to Gib:  GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU MY FRIEND.  But please, you sell me short.  I am a tremendous slouch.  But of course I have played Saratoga CC - and I shall second that as well.  Well said.  Fantastically well-said.  ;D

TH

Pat Burke

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »

I knew I liked you, Pat.  I dug the long hair (that was you in the playing days, right?), dug what I thought was the attitude (from what I could tell from afar).

Now reading this... anyone who can nominate the old Bayonet as funky, well you are my kinda guy.

It was funky.  It was also impossibly difficult, in an absolutely penal to the max way.  Good god was it idiotic, as Gib says.  But it was also the ultimate test of golf and while I usually hate stupidly penal courses, this one was just so PERFECT in this... well... god help me I did love it so.

Notice the past tense though - over the years the trees got massively cut back or cut down... it was emasculated... and recently they did a full renovation, ostensibly to improve conditions (which really didn't need improving), but also to make it more user-friendly as it transitions into becoming a resort - a hotel is being built on-site also.   

Most will love the old course... I weep for what once was.

So SECONDED re the old Bayonet - that is if courses that no longer exist count for this.  I cannot imagine that the new Bayonet will be funky, or unique, or lovable in any way shape or form.

And to Gib:  GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU MY FRIEND.  But please, you sell me short.  I am a tremendous slouch.  But of course I have played Saratoga CC - and I shall second that as well.  Well said.  Fantastically well-said.  ;D

TH
:D    Ahh   long hair, beard, said what I thought, YUP  the TOUR loved me  haha
New Bayonet matches the closed base, just a shell of what was

Tim Leahy

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
Tom, you are too tough on the modern Bayonet, it still had more dogleg lefts than any course I have ever seen and those greens with the hidden breaks toward the bay, whew! I thought of Lake Chabot also. And Tom, I will second your DeBell, very funky, but I don't know about Alhambra, I must have missed something there.
How about Glenneagles International, nine holer in the middle of Funky Town?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:49:05 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 06:19:29 PM »
The par-3 course at Sutton Bay.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Doug Wright

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
As Slag Bandoon will recall, The Mad Russian in Milliken, Colorado is one funky course. Designed by a farmer (The Mad Russian himself) who owned the property, nearly every par 4 is driveable, many crossing fairways and greens the size and shape of VW bug roofs. Positively Painswickian!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »
... and across the bridge we have our ski slope finish par 6 and drop kick blind par 3 Lake Chabot.  Or does that qualify more as quirk  :o

Lincoln Park, San Francisco.

7 out of 9 holes on the back nine between 200 and 299 yards. And...have you seen the place? Lincoln's funkiness does not require justification.   ;D

DUH!
Stupid of me not to think of that.  THAT is our Painswick.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed.  Great call, Matt.

TH
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 08:34:33 PM »
Tim,

I'm just seeing your post.  Stealing your thunder on Lake Chabot ;D

My bad.

We're gonna have to meet someday.  I'm one of those whack jobs that likes a tough course and it seems you're on the same page when it comes to course likes / dislikes.

Tom, you are too tough on the modern Bayonet, it still had more dogleg lefts than any course I have ever seen and those greens with the hidden breaks toward the bay, whew! I thought of Lake Chabot also. And Tom, I will second your DeBell, very funky, but I don't know about Alhambra, I must have missed something there.
How about Glenneagles Internatioal, nine holer in the middle of Funky Town?
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
You guys have kinda sold me on Lake Chabot - as I said earlier to Kalen, I had considered it and ommitted it.  I just do think the ski slope par 6 is a par 6 in name only given a guy like me can get pin-high in two (yes, I have, a few times)... but the drop shot hole is something... and the many road crossings... oh hell, I guess it can be considered.  I just do think it pales to Lincoln Park, which has to be the standard around here.

And as for the modern Bayonet, hell I'm sure it still is something.  But the old Bayonet was a 15 on the 1-10 funk scale.  Pat Burke understands.   ;D

I'm gonna see the full new Bayonet on 12/21.  Expect murderous prose here on 12/22.

;D

A

Matt MacIver

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:04 PM »
No mention of Prestwick yet? 

Do the blind tee shots, the wrap around hotel dog-leg and the zaniest greens in the world make the Old Course "funky"? 

I'm also not sure that Devil's Paintbrush is 100% funky, but some parts are and I always enjoy seeing it mentioned. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back