News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Pinehurt Golf Trip in April
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:21:34 PM »
8 of us are talking about taking our annual spring pilgrimage and we've all likely decided on Pinehurst.  Where should we stay?  Any "hidden gems"?

Besides Pine Needles, #2 and Forest Creek, where else should we try to play?

Thanks

Mark Manuel

Re: Pinehurt Golf Trip in April
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
Have the big pork chop at the Pinecrest Inn and enjoy a drink, or two, or three at the bar. 

It will be the non-golf highlight of the trip.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »
There is only one place to stay in Pinehurst.  The Pine Crest Inn.  Ask for Andy and tell her I sent you.  Serisously there are countless threads on GCA about the place.

Add Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, and Southern Pines CC to your trip.  Ask for Joe at Tobacco Road and he will treat your group, well as he treats all groups, the best!

Plead with Ran for a drink at SPCC or Mid Pines.  Every word he speaks is good stuff!

Figure out how to walk (sneak) around Dormie Club....can't help you there though.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
From many conversations with my fellow travelers on about 7 trips to P'hurst so far....

Of those I’ve played in the general “Sandhills” area, with # of rounds.

1.  Pinehurst #2 - 2
2.  Pine Needles - 4
3.  Forest Creek North (old) - 3
4.  Mid Pines - 3
5.  Pinehurst #8 - 2
6.  Tobacco Rd. - 2
7.  Forest Creek South (new) - 1 (more rds. as 9-holer)
8.  Southern Pines CC - 4
9.  Pinehurst #4 - 1
10.  CCNC - Dogwood - 1
11.  Legacy - 2
12.  Woodlake – Maples - 3
13.  Mid-South - 2
14.  The Pit - 1
15.  Little River - 1
16.  Talamore - 2
17.  Pinewild - Holly - 1
18.  Hyland Hills - 1
19.  Longleaf - 1
20.  Carolina - 1
21.  National - 3
22.  Knollwood - 1

My one criterion:  Which would you rather play?

Sandhills courses that could effect the rankings that I haven't played:

CCNC - Cardinal
Foxfire Red/Gray
Pinehurst #1, #3, #5, #6, #7
Pinewild – Magnolia
Seven Lakes
Whispering Pines/Woods
Woodlake – Palmer

And I second, third, and fourth the Pinecrest...that place is the greatest.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »
Of course there is #2, which is great.

Otherwise I would try to get as many rounds as possible at Forest Creek, esp the North Course. After that I would try to play Pine Needles (really cool and in spots better than #2 IMO) and Tobacco Road time allowing.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, I have a good amount of experience in the area.
H.P.S.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »
If I had to plan a trip to Pinehurst and money and access were not in the picture, I'd play #2, #8, Pine Needles, Forest Creek (Both), and CCNC (Dogwood) before I played any others. After that, I'd take the drive to Tobacco Road and play Southern Pines. If you can't get on the private clubs, I'd play #4, Mid South, and maybe the Magnolia at Pinewild. If you want the long drive, maybe go to Tot Hill Farm.

I have never been a big fan of Mid Pines, not that its bad, I just didn't think it was that good, to me, its the least good of the Ross courses in Southern Pines/Pinehurst.

Beyond the ones I mentioned above, the rest are essentially point and pick, there's not really a dime's worth of difference between any of them.

As for the Pinecrest, I've said it before, I was less than impressed with the food I got. But its a cool, cozy place, certainly cheaper than the Holly or especially the Carolina Inn at the resort. The Lodges at Mid South are pretty posh and right on the course at Mid South; the Villas at Talamore are pretty good as well, though I would only stay there and not bother playing Talamore. I've heard the Lodges at Pine Needles and the Mid Pines Hotel are very good as well. The rest of the hotels in the area are pretty much coin flips, they're all about the same.

PM me if you want more info about specific courses, I've played pretty much all of them in Pinehurst that are worth visiting on a trip.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »
Ryan,
You won't need my help in finding a course, most of those in the know are filling that bill, so I'm just going to give you a food tip.

There is (was) a little Mexican place down in Aberdeen called La Poblanita. I guess you can't really say home cooking when you're buying it out, but we always left here with a smile, like eating at Mama's house.

Does anyone know if the place still exists?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:34:10 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »
Make sure you go to the racetrack for breakfast!
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
As one who is also looking at a Pinehurst trip in April, are you speaking of the Pine Crest Inn on Dogwood in the village of Pinehurst?

Do they provide transportation to the courses or no?  Also, is it centrally located to taverns, restaurants, etc.?

Thanks
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Walt Young

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 08:29:09 AM »
Ryan,

I would say #2 and Pine Needles are a must.  Tobacco Road is a fun course to play, but just remember to have fun.  I believe Southern Pines Country Club (Elks) to be the best routing/piece of land in the area. 

As for lodging, I agree with the group.  The Pine Crest Inn is one of the best places in town.  It is centrally located in the village of Pinehurst, with at least four restaurant/pubs within walking distant.  To name a few, look for Dugan's Pub, Tenya (sushi place), Theo's Taverna, and The Darling House (Scottish Pub). 

For Mexican, there is no equal in the area.  La Poblanita is the best place to go, it still exist.  I probably eat there once a week.

As for transportation, there are a lot of viable services that can be called.  Pinehurst has a shuttle that runs from the Carolina Hotel and the center of the village to the Club. 

I would also suggest looking for some packages,  I know that there are a lot of the out there that provide good prices for golf and include a lot of the courses that have been discussed. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:23:14 AM by Walt Young »

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:16:04 AM »
Thanks for the info Walt.  My only concern is getting on #2 w/o staying at the resort.  Is that an issue or can Pine Crest get us in?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Walt Young

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »
I don't think you will have a problem getting on No. 2.  If you make your tee time in advance I am sure that Pinehurst would be more than happy to take your money.

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:17 AM »
I don't think you will have a problem getting on No. 2.  If you make your tee time in advance I am sure that Pinehurst would be more than happy to take your money.

So have they deviated from their rule that only resort guests can play #2?

Craig Disher

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
JC

The Pine Crest can make arrangements for you on #2 but call them well in advance of your trip. April is a popular time and PH Resort guests have precedence. The resort adopted a policy of starting groups on both the 1st and 10th tees. Be aware. If I were paying the rack rate, I would not want to begin on #10.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »
JC

The Pine Crest can make arrangements for you on #2 but call them well in advance of your trip. April is a popular time and PH Resort guests have precedence. The resort adopted a policy of starting groups on both the 1st and 10th tees. Be aware. If I were paying the rack rate, I would not want to begin on #10.

I agree.  That is no good.  I'll have to ask Chip's girl about that when I call down today.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »
They do start you on #10 sometimes, which I'm ok with.  The 170-yd 9th makes for an interesting finishing hole.

What I'm not ok with is when the guy you are playing with (and you just met) takes you aside on the 11th fairway and tells you to stop talking during his swing when you were behind him and 50 yards away, and literally whispering in your buddy's ear, and argues the point when you tell him you didn't think anyone has ears that sensitive.

Some people just have the distraction radar I guess, and no consideration that conjuring an argument on hole 2 makes for a really bearable next 4.5 hours...

:P
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
Just talked w/ Pine Crest.  Great folks.  Only problem, she said they cant do anything w/ #2 until 4pm the day before we want to play.  That is a serious hang up.  The question becomes, gamble or no gamble?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »

You can always stay at the Pinehurst Hotel which will insure you a tee time on No 2, then go to the Pine Crest for drinks after your round.

Anthony

rjsimper

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
Just talked w/ Pine Crest.  Great folks.  Only problem, she said they cant do anything w/ #2 until 4pm the day before we want to play.  That is a serious hang up.  The question becomes, gamble or no gamble?

How many players?  I would not count on a foursome, but a twosome is often easy.  In this economy I'd think you have an even better chance.

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

You can always stay at the Pinehurst Hotel which will insure you a tee time on No 2, then go to the Pine Crest for drinks after your round.

Anthony

For me, the $125 a night at the Pine Crest is more "doable" than Pinehurst.  Especially since I only want to play #2 and spend the rest of the time playing Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Southern Pines and finding a way to sneak on Dormie. ;D

i agree though, Pinehurst hotel would be the easiest.

John Moore II

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »
They do start you on #10 sometimes, which I'm ok with.  The 170-yd 9th makes for an interesting finishing hole.

What I'm not ok with is when the guy you are playing with (and you just met) takes you aside on the 11th fairway and tells you to stop talking during his swing when you were behind him and 50 yards away, and literally whispering in your buddy's ear, and argues the point when you tell him you didn't think anyone has ears that sensitive.

Some people just have the distraction radar I guess, and no consideration that conjuring an argument on hole 2 makes for a really bearable next 4.5 hours...

:P

I would have probably just told him to kiss my ass, unless he was a member.

That is odd, I thought the Pinecrest could book on #2 same as the Resort hotels. But I suppose they are correct. Don't count on getting on in April though if you don't book a time.

And I wouldn't gamble at #2, just enjoy the time.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »

My apologies.  I meant gamble by staying at PineCrest and hoping our twosome can get on #2 or just sucking it up and staying at the resort.

John Moore II

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »

My apologies.  I meant gamble by staying at PineCrest and hoping our twosome can get on #2 or just sucking it up and staying at the resort.

Knowing how busy Pinehurst Resort is in April (you have to consider that April is absolute high season in the Sandhills) if I was fully set on playing #2 while I was down, I would stay at the Resort. Some of the 'other' hotels at the resort, beyond the Carolina, are somewhat reasonable as far as rates go. But even in this economy, I wouldn't bet on #2 or Needles having any open tee times, except for maybe late, late afternoon. I would book those well in advance.

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 01:59:06 PM »

Knowing how busy Pinehurst Resort is in April (you have to consider that April is absolute high season in the Sandhills) if I was fully set on playing #2 while I was down, I would stay at the Resort. Some of the 'other' hotels at the resort, beyond the Carolina, are somewhat reasonable as far as rates go. But even in this economy, I wouldn't bet on #2 or Needles having any open tee times, except for maybe late, late afternoon. I would book those well in advance.

That's what Im starting to figure out.  I was hoping to avoid the rates at the resort and get on #2 on Easter sunday (also the last day of the Masters) hoping that the combination would free up some times for me.

Doesnt look like thats the case.

John Moore II

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

That's what Im starting to figure out.  I was hoping to avoid the rates at the resort and get on #2 on Easter sunday (also the last day of the Masters) hoping that the combination would free up some times for me.

Doesnt look like thats the case.

Thats about right. I'll just share this little tidbit with you, I was NEVER in all my time in Pinehurst able to play the full course #2. I snuck on one afternoon and played a few holes. But even on a rainy day last December, I couldn't get on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back