News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Highlight of 2008
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »
I enjoy these threads also, especially with Kavanaugh not around to throw out the tired "quit bragging" argument.  I find a bit of bragging in these, for sure, but also a lot of very cool sentiment.  Jordan's post was cool -  and man it's been fun to watch that young man mature over the years in here.  Well said, Jordan.

As for moi, can I have one of Brad Tufts' awful years some day?

I don't tend to travel myself much or really play all that much, but I am quite thankful for an October trip to Colorado GC, Ballyneal and Sand Hills... as well as an October round at Pebble Beach... so I guess October was Tuftsian for me, so I sure as hell can't complain.  For the rest of the year, not much of note happened - hell I missed nearly all of TKP even - but I am thankful for all the rounds I had, wherever and with whomever.  No day of golf is a day not well-spent.

TH

ps to Brad - if anyone ever told you MARRIAGE has a negative effect on either quality or quantity of golf, he was just whining... now HAVING KIDS... and a job.... let's talk again after that happens for you.  If you maintain the travel schedule and plus handicap then, I will bow down and worship.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:46:13 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
Courses played in the 2008 Calendar Year worth mentioning.......

Philadelphia Cricket Club      
San Francisco Golf Club      
Franklin Hills CC      
Lulu CC      
Greenbriar: The Greenbriar         
Camargo Club      
Fox Chapel      
Greenbriar: Old White      
Lookout Mountain       
Shoreacres      
The Creek      
Morgan Creek      
Maidstone      
Olympia Fields: North         
Meadow Club      
Pasatiempo      
Sharp Park      
University of Michigan       
Yale GC      
The National         
Lawsonia: Links Course      
Bandon Dunes      
Erin Hills      
Bandon Crossings         
Homestead: The Cascade Course      
Huntingdon Valley CC      
Shinnecock            
Pine Valley Short Course      
Eugene Country Club      
Portland GC            
Ballyneal      
Pacific Dunes      
The Sheep Ranch      
Pine Valley      
Bandon Trails      
Friars Head         
Bayonne GC            
Olympia Fields: South            
Kirtland GC   
Cal Club
Cuscawilla   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:08:25 AM by Patrick Boyd »

Ari Techner

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
I have had a pretty amazing year for courses played:

Sand Hills
Ballyneal
National GL
Shinnecock
Friars Head
Maidstone
Creek Club
Southampton
Yale
Pine Valley
Huntingdon Valley
Philly Cricket Wisahickon
LuLu
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Bandon Trails
Sheep Ranch
Lookout Mountain
Oakmont
Pittsburgh Field Club
Fox Chapel
Greenbriar Old White
Homestead Cascades
Chambers Bay
Franklin Hills
Eugene CC
Bandon Crossings
Waverley CC
Bayonne
Shoreacres
Olympia Fields North
Olympia Fields South
Lawsonia Links
Erin Hills
SFGC
Pasatiempo
Camargo Club
Kirtland
University of Michigan
Meadow Club
Cuscowilla

The highlight for me was a non-resident membership at Lookout Mountain GC where I plan to start spending more time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:10:48 AM by Ari Techner »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »
Ari:

I have to ask:  HOW?  How did you manage that?  Are you a pro?  What do you do to get that kind of golf in one year?  Youy just blew poor ole Tufts out of the water....

And if you tell me you are a computer programmer with a wife who works and three kids who all play sports, I will hunt you down and kill you.

;D

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
Ballyneal.

Proof that no matter how good a course is, the people you meet and experience it with are just as important. I had a blast, and for that I'm thankful.

WH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
Ballyneal.

Proof that no matter how good a course is, the people you meet and experience it with are just as important. I had a blast, and for that I'm thankful.

WH

That's an interesting take... one I generally share.. but let's explore that a bit.

Say you played Ballyneal with some assholes.  Would the experience SUCK?

I don't think so.  I think it would be greatly lessened, but that course is good enough to make the experience still a fine one even with poor company.

So how about this:  the people one meets at great courses, and experiences the great courses with, can very much enhance the experience.  But the truly great courses can still be great even played with less than great company.

And yes I did likely set a record for use of the word "great."

;D

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
 Portsalon and Narin/Portnoo. The courses were a great cost/benefit equation. The views from and between the courses were wonderful. The lack of golf industry infrastructure was refreshing.

Sean,

Substantial bunker work has been done at Rolling Green this fall to restore them to their original look, size, and shape. You are welcome to return anytime. I'm sure I could find some else to host you ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:19:20 AM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Ari Techner

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
Ari:

I have to ask:  HOW?  How did you manage that?  Are you a pro?  What do you do to get that kind of golf in one year?  Youy just blew poor ole Tufts out of the water....

And if you tell me you are a computer programmer with a wife who works and three kids who all play sports, I will hunt you down and kill you.

;D

Tom,

I am the founder and President/CEO of Scratch Golf Clubs.  (www.scratchgolf.com)  I do a ton of traveling for work, going around to different clubs and atores working with them on selling our hand made irons and wedges.  I am VERY fortunate to get to play a ton of great courses along the way.  Also, as you might have noticed the similarities in our list, Patrick Boyd works for me and we travel together most of the time.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »
I hope to have my highlight of 2008 on YouTube for everyone's viewing by the end of this week.

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »
Portsalon and Narin/Portnoo. The courses were a great cost/benefit equation. The views from and between the courses were wonderful. The lack of golf industry infrastructure was refreshing.

Sean,

Substantial bunker work has been done at Rolling Green this fall to restore them to their original look, size, and shape. You are welocome to return anytime. I'm sure I could find some else to host you ;D

AKA Mayday

Who loves ya baby!!!!

I am continually astonished at how many/much courses/golf some folks play.  Life is good - no?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
Ballyneal.

WH

Huck, you would have to ask the guys that were paired with me. :P

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 11:19:44 AM »
Ari:

;D

Tom,

I am the founder and President/CEO of Scratch Golf Clubs.  (www.scratchgolf.com)  I do a ton of traveling for work, going around to different clubs and atores working with them on selling our hand made irons and wedges.  I am VERY fortunate to get to play a ton of great courses along the way.  Also, as you might have noticed the similarities in our list, Patrick Boyd works for me and we travel together most of the time.  

Whew!  You need not hire bodyguards.

;D

And you know, I am a wedge-whore...I must have 50 in my garage... you have just given me some personal shopping ideas...

TH

ps Wyatt - good on there!

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »
Buda 2008 was a lot of fun, but the highlight of my year has nothing to do with GCA - it is being able to swing again without worrying about the damned knee! I may be an 18 a day guy from here on out, but I'm very excited at the thought of trying to get better next year.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
Ari:

;D

Tom,

Let's see 52 courses in various locales, not one of them a dud. No, computer programmer doesn't fit. FBI Agent in search of Most Wanted? No. Rater for major magazine, possibly. I've got it, Toro rep for new greens mower or he's just won the Mega Lottery.

I think that list,  in one year of playing,  certainly wins  'that mine is bigger than yours' claim.

Bob

Richard Boult

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
Began 4th year playing golf
Reached low index of 2.4
2nd ACE (Cypress Ridge)
1st par round from tips (Monarch Dunes)
1st sub-70 round of 68 (Glen Annie)
50th golf course (Pasatiempo)
60th golf course (Seven Oaks)
Golf trips to Big Island, Colorado
24th wedding anniversary
Both kids graduated from college!!
21st year programming computers ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »
Bob:

LOL!  You weren't far off... Ari is in the business - he posted at the end of page one.

And yeah, a little of this is indeed "mine is bigger" stuff... but I think it's still fun.  To that end though, I have yet to remind you about....

CHELSEA 1, ARSENAL 2.

;D

Art:  that's a hell of list of accomplishments.... and although getting to 2.4 in 4 years is humbling to those of us who have played 30+ years and rarely if ever have gotten that low and sure as hell aren't now, well... I am most impressed with getting both kids through college and apparently still having the wherewithal to play the game.  Congrats on that!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:29:47 AM by Tom Huckaby »

David Stamm

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
Aside from all the great courses I played this year, most due to some very generous and hospitable hosts/GCAers, my highlights have been meeting some great people from this site. The KP this year gave me that chance and I really enjoyed meeting everyone there, some for the first time. The 2009 edition will be announced very soon and I will look forward again to seeing people I've met before and making new friends.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Foley

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
The highlights we're Yale & Leatherstocking.

Downside is not getting out weith a few fellow GCA'ers that I had planned to.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Richard Boult

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
Art:  that's a hell of list of accomplishments.... and although getting to 2.4 in 4 years is humbling to those of us who have played 30+ years and rarely if ever have gotten that low and sure as hell aren't now, well... I am most impressed with getting both kids through college and apparently still having the wherewithal to play the game.  Congrats on that!  ;D

Thanks Tom, notice where my exclamation marks were placed... that was 'my' biggest accomplishment! Although having the kids start college several years ago finally provided the 'time' to start playing, now I can 'afford' to continue to play.  Working from home allows me to sneak out and play up to 3 times per week -- that's what allowed for the good progress. I'll hit 500 rounds played next year, as well as turn 50.

Phil McDade

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
I played little golf this year; my highlights came from watching the game. Two events stand out:

-- This fall's USGA Mid-Amateur championship, held at Milwaukee Country Club (along with stroke-play at the nearby Brown Deer muni), was a real treat. I've highlighted the outstanding MCC course in some previous threads...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36505.0.html

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37107.0.html

...but the tournament itself was a real joy to take in.

A few small highlights:
-- Mid-Am winner Steve Wilson, far from his Mississippi home, sitting with just his caddie at a modest table outside the MCC clubhouse, eating a sandwich while waiting for the afternoon round of the 36-hole final to begin. No hangers-on, no out-of-control media mob, no fans pushing against rope lines -- just a golfer on the verge of a USGA title.
-- Walking some of the final match alongside longtime USGA official Bob Hooper. More than any single person, Hooper is responsible for the creation and nurturing of the USGA Mid-Am, a true amateur's amateur tournament. Bob is 75, and walks a course quicker than most folks half his age. If I'm that spry 30 years from now, well, I know I've done something right. What a great gentleman, and steward of the game.
-- At the conclusion of the tournament, white-gloved wait staff from the club offered champagne and hors d'oeuvres to a small crowd gathered near the front door of the clubhouse. MCC doesn't open its doors all that often -- this year's Mid-Am was just the third significant tourney hosted by the club in the past three decades -- but when it does, it knows how to do it. Wonderful and quite thoughtful members helped make the tournament a terrific experience.

----------------------------------

I previously highlighted the unselfish and classy efforts of PGA pro Jerry Kelly, who took time off from his practice session at University Ridge GC to help out the state-bound Madison East golf team during a practice session on the range:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36913.0.html

How Madison (WI) East got to the state tournament -- its first appearance there in 17 years -- is just as good of a story. In Wisconsin, qualifying for the state tournament is a two-stage process -- four teams qualify out of regional tournaments for the sectionals, then only two of the eight teams at the sectional tourneys (six of which are held around the state) qualify for the state tourney. Team scores are based on the four lowest 18-hole rounds posted among the five varsity golfers.

At the first-stage regional tourney, Madison East's 5th golfer -- senior Melanie Whitcomb -- took a misstep in the rough and wrenched her knee. She was unable to complete her round, meaning East had to count all the rounds of its remaining four golfers. But no matter; they all played pretty well, including East's 4th golfer, a freshmen who's been competing in golf for only a few years. East won the regional and moved on to the sectional tourney.

Leading up to sectionals, East coach Mark Buffet (a good friend of mine) asked Whitcomb if she could play. She hadn't practiced all week, and was limited to hitting a few practice balls on the range. But, she put on a knee brace and decided to give it a try. The sectional tourney began under cool temperatures and threatening skies. As sometimes happens under tournament pressure, East's 4th golfer, the young freshman, began scattering balls all over on a course that punishes wayward shots. When the East golfers made the turn for the back nine, they stood 10 strokes behind the first-place team, and nine strokes behind the second-place team and final qualifying spot. Mark went up to Melanie, working on an OK round despite the bad knee, and told her he was probably going to have to count her score, given the problems his 4th golfer was having. She nodded her head OK, and walked over to the 10th tee.

Then the skies opened up, rain came down, the wind picked up, and temperatures dropped -- in short, miserable conditions. And Melanie Whitcomb went out and played some of the best nine holes of her career -- a 45, bogey golf, with pars on two of the last three holes of the round. On one good knee. The rest of the team played well, too, but her scored ended up being counted -- in fact, it was the best score posted by any of sectional teams' 5th golfers the entire day, and better than all but one of the other teams' 4th golfers. East ended up winning the sectional tourney by four strokes, and with it earned a memorable trip to the state tournament -- thanks in large part to Melanie's back nine.

Tiger was no more inspirational, or courageous, at Torrey Pines.

The epilogue? East didn't play that great at the two-day state tournament, held at the tough University Ridge course near Madison. Melanie played a full practice round, then the opening 18 holes of the rugged course, but her knee gave out as she made the turn for the final nine holes of the 36-hole tourney. She didn't want to drop out without first talking to her coach, so I hustled off to find Mark. He came over to the clubhouse, put his arm around her, and told her it was OK. "You got us here," he told her.

Maybe I'm getting crusty, but I find myself enthused less and less by professional athletics, and even find the cynicism rampant among college athletics off-putting. But athletes who play the sport for the love of it, backed by maybe a few friends and families, have a way of inspiring me.

Jason Topp

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
The Buda Cup was the hands down highlight for me in 2008.  

I have often found myself wondering if I like Lundin Links and Elie just as well as the more highly rated links courses in Scotland.  My judgment is so clouded by the fun I had playing those matches (and drinking at night) that I doubt I will ever know.  

Tom Birkert

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »
2008 was a pretty good year which was somewhat spoiled by a wrist tendon injury.

In no particular order:

Pine Valley
Shinnecock
Merion
NGLA
Pinehurst 2, 4, 8
Tobacco Road
The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island
Deepdale
Muirfield
Prestwick
Turnberry
Morfontaine
Chantilly

It was also nice to meet a few fellow GCAers and I hope to meet more in the future!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
Not the best year for me (thanks to nagging injuries for a few months) but got to play Austin Golf Club and made another visit to Colonial. of course I did get to go to Casey Wade's house!!!! ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2008, 12:34:57 PM »
2008 was a terrific year for myself.

Between the Monterey KP event, a trip to Colorado, short trip to Spokane, and some cool treats here in Utah it made for a great year.  And it was topped off with one of the final looks at Beechtree before its NLE...

A hearthy thanks to the many fine GCA folks who have been very generous with thier time and resources in arranging all of the various events and outtings this year.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2008, 12:40:41 PM »

Wyatt did play one round at Ballyneal with me, so I guess it didn't ruin the experience.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back