News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: Highlight of 2008
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

Courses aside, golf can be awesome anywhere with the right company.

Cheers to meeting more of you next year!!

Well said. 

Tom Birkert

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »
Bob:

LOL!  You weren't far off... Ari is in the business - he posted at the end of page one.

And yeah, a little of this is indeed "mine is bigger" stuff... but I think it's still fun.  To that end though, I have yet to remind you about....

CHELSEA 1, ARSENAL 2.

;D

Ahem, I'm going to have to quickly jump in on this and say that's it's amazing what happens when Mr S Wonder is the assistant referee at Stamford Bridge! ;-)

Suffice to say that was not one of my highlights of 2008.

Footballers don't have great taste in golf courses - most of the Chelsea lot play at The Wisley which is no great shakes at all...

Eric Smith

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:34 PM »
The 2009 edition will be announced very soon

Buzz on!

How soon David?!  If the timing is right, I may be able to roll the King's Putter event and a visit with my grandpa in Alameda into one great week of golf.

Ash Towe

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »
Some of you guys have had awesome years-well done.
Jordan-great comments.  You will have to get down to this part of the world at some time.
TH-I hope our paths cross again soon.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »
Some of you guys have had awesome years-well done.
Jordan-great comments.  You will have to get down to this part of the world at some time.
TH-I hope our paths cross again soon.

Ash - amen to that, my friend.  One of my dreams is to get down your way.  Someday.... dare to dream....

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
I have had a pretty amazing year for courses played:

Sand Hills
Ballyneal
National GL
Shinnecock
Friars Head
Maidstone
Creek Club
Southampton
Yale
Pine Valley
Huntingdon Valley
Philly Cricket Wisahickon
LuLu
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Bandon Trails
Sheep Ranch
Lookout Mountain
Oakmont
Pittsburgh Field Club
Fox Chapel
Greenbriar Old White
Homestead Cascades
Chambers Bay
Franklin Hills
Eugene CC
Bandon Crossings
Waverley CC
Bayonne
Shoreacres
Olympia Fields North
Olympia Fields South
Lawsonia Links
Erin Hills
SFGC
Pasatiempo
Camargo Club
Kirtland
University of Michigan
Meadow Club
Cuscowilla

The highlight for me was a non-resident membership at Lookout Mountain GC where I plan to start spending more time.

Ari,

I forgot to tell you this weekend I need a ton of new irons.

Anthony

Ash Towe

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
Tom- Your itenary is just about planned :)
You would have such a great time here and in Australia.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »
my highlight of 2008...

"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Kirk Gill

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »
My highlight of this year was more the people I got to know, the conversations I got to have about golf, than the courses I played. My family occupies most of my time, so I don't get to play much, but I get to dream, and get to talk with some great guys about their experiences, the courses that they've played or designed.......

I did get out to Pradera this year, and loved it.

Is it maudlin to bring up the 'A' my son with dyslexia earned on his first "research paper?" That one broke me up.

God bless you guys who get to hit all of those high spots - keep posting here about your experiences. You've brightened a lot of days for this fellow, and many others.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

JLahrman

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »
As far as golf goes, my highlights were as follows:

- Playing Moraine and NCR South for the first time

- Getting to play golf with David Tepper and John Pflum, the first two GCAers I have been able to meet in person

Rich Goodale

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »

CHELSEA 1, ARSENAL 2.

Regardless, looks like the Gooners are going to be UEFA Cup fodder next year and Wenger will retire to some moinastery in the Massif Central.  As for Chelski, if the price of oil/ruble value drops any further they'll be playing in the 2nd Division of the Western Siberian Oblast.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:13 PM »
my highlight of 2008...

Who's the big geezer holding you, Brian?

Brian Laurent

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
my highlight of 2008...

Some old guy that keeps putting me in ridiculously big shirts and makes me pose with a bunch of Ohio State crap...

"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2008, 02:13:36 PM »
Bob:

LOL!  You weren't far off... Ari is in the business - he posted at the end of page one.

And yeah, a little of this is indeed "mine is bigger" stuff... but I think it's still fun.  To that end though, I have yet to remind you about....

CHELSEA 1, ARSENAL 2.

;D

Ahem, I'm going to have to quickly jump in on this and say that's it's amazing what happens when Mr S Wonder is the assistant referee at Stamford Bridge! ;-)

Tom,

The most egregious error of the year or.....he had a fiver on Arsenal at Ladbrokes.

When you look at Chelsea's injured reserve list it's a wonder that they are only a point behind.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »

CHELSEA 1, ARSENAL 2.

Regardless, looks like the Gooners are going to be UEFA Cup fodder next year and Wenger will retire to some moinastery in the Massif Central.  As for Chelski, if the price of oil/ruble value drops any further they'll be playing in the 2nd Division of the Western Siberian Oblast.

LOL
I have to say that drew audible yuks.

Ahhh, but hope springs eternal, even for a team that can beat ManU and Chelsea and yet lose to Hull and Fulham and several other unmentionables.

And Bob, remember who the ball allegedly went off to allow for that oh-so-contested goal to be ruled NOT offside... once a Gunner, always a Gunner.  Long live Ashley Cole.

And man, Arsenal has the market cornered on injuries. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
my highlight of 2008...

Some old guy that keeps putting me in ridiculously big shirts and makes me pose with a bunch of Ohio State crap...

That second photo puts a whole new meaning to the words "head cover" ......

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
That's awesome Brian.  It's also gonna be great stuff when the young one goes to Michigan in 18 years or so.

;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Capilano with Bob Jenkins as part of the John Mayhugh World Tour...

Yearly Hendren visit at Chambers Bay with John Kirk and Richard Choi.

Year felt incomplete without my annual Jordan Wall beating, but my friend Steve Pieracci handled that for me at KP...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:28:08 PM by Sean Leary »

Brian Laurent

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2008, 02:26:09 PM »
Taking care of that, Tom...we figure if we play the Michigan fight song every time we punish him, he'll develop a healthy dislike for that team up north. 

I'm pushing for Yale...I need an excuse to get over there and play that great golf course! 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »
Taking care of that, Tom...we figure if we play the Michigan fight song every time we punish him, he'll develop a healthy dislike for that team up north. 

I'm pushing for Yale...I need an excuse to get over there and play that great golf course! 

Genius!
 ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »
my highlight of 2008...

Are you Mario Lemieux's long lost son;)

Ted Kramer

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »
Not trying to sound corny, but golf stuff doesn't even come close to joys that my young son brings me. . .

Now if we're only talking golf:
My return trip to Shinnecock was great.
But it was not the highlight.
My golf highlight for 2008 was, without question, the time I spent at Ballyneal.
From the generosity of the gentleman who offered to let me stay and play there, to my all time best ever score, to the phenomenal conditions of the course, to the hospitality shown by all who worked there . . .

My trip to Ballyneal was my golf highlight of 2008.

-Ted
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:08:57 PM by Ted Kramer »

Michael Ryan

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
2008 Golf Highlights for me included maiden trips around the following:

Seminole
Merion
NGLA
Royal Troon
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Hidden Creek

I have two golf highlights that didn't include the clubs.  Twice in 2008, I stood on the deck of a hospitality venue and stared at the back of bleachers on the 18th hole from 400 yards away.  On both occasions, Tiger Woods canned improbable putts and I listened to the incredible roars before running in to the suite to watch it on TV (thank you 7 second TV delay).  The final round of Arnold Palmer Invitational and the final round of the US Open at Torrey Pines...on both occasions people streamed out of the venues with that "I can't believe what I just saw" look on their faces.  Priceless...

Add to all those moments my enjoyment of this site and I have had a great golf year in 2008.

Holiday wishes to everyone on GCA...

Mike

Brian Laurent

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Sean, if that's the case, I should be owed some silly child-support payments! 

With the personal highlight out of the way...it was a pretty ordinary summer of golf. 

Favorite course played this summer was NCR.  Also, I was pretty happy to find Maxwelton, a little public course in Syracuse, IN.  Lake weekends will be a much better now that I found this little gem. 

The game itself was decent once again...three rounds in the 60's, including matching a personal best with a 65. 

James Bennett

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »
After memorable 2006 and 2007 'international' years, my 2008 GCA highlight was dinner at the Long Room at the MCG with two Melbourne GCA'ers.  I think Carlton played Essendon, but we missed most of the football.  Talked more golf than anything else, as you would expect.  The Long Room was everything and more that I expected.  I can only imagine what it must be like on Boxing Day when Australia plays South Africa in a few weeks time.

Thanks guys, definitely an event that ranks high on my lists.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back