News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

2009 Golfing Trips
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:15:57 PM »
Ok, who's got what planned for and why?

Just seeing Kyle's trip is getting me excited for my NM buddy trip in the spring.  The plan is to get in rounds at Black Mesa, Paa Ko Ridge and UNM.

Why?  Because I've been wanting to get back to BM ever since I played it back in '05.  Walked away immediately wanting to get back on.  Got to love a course with zero OB and just a different atmosphere all together.  Just loved the topography there.  Paa Ko because I missed out on it the first time around + have heard only good things.  UNM because it sounds like the more interesting after BM and PKR.

If I'm able to stay gainfully employed ... there could be plans for Lawsonia in the fall.  There's just too much going on there to NOT visit someday + their stay and play is priced just right.

Should make the KP as well ... hopefully.

Nebraska and Bandon will just have to wait I'm afraid...

So let's hear what the plans are for next year...  ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Chip Gaskins

Re: 2009 Golfing Trips
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »
If I'm able to stay gainfully employed:

London in May:
-St. George's Hill
-Swinley Forest
-Sunningdale-Old
-Walton Heath
-Woking
-Addington

Chicago in July:
-Skokie
-Chicago Golf Club
-Shoreacres
-Wrigley Field

Long Island in September:
-Friar's Head
-Shinnecock Hills
-The Creek
-Piping Rock
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:19:11 PM by Chip Gaskins »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »
Patrick...I played the same rota while in NM a few months back.  You'll have a great time.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
Happy to report that I'm now saving up for a Scotland sojourn.

I've got to go there before I settle down ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David Sneddon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
We are calling it the "Decades Tour".  In 2009, I turn 60, my buddy in Texas turns 50 and another friend in WA, turns 40.  So along with 5 others our 8some are going to Scotland for 12 days of golf.

Starting off in Dornoch, playing the Championship course 4 times, plus rounds at Brora, Golspie and the Struie.  Staying at the Eagle Hotel.

Then off to St Andrews, doing a day at Scotscraig, round at Kingsbarns, 3 day All you can Play Links Trust ticket, with tee times booked for Jubilee, New and Castle, then the Old on the Friday before we come home.  B&B in St Andrews.

We are renting a self-drive 15pass bus, so at current rate of exchange works out to be around $2300.00, plus airfare.

We did a similar trip back in 2004, only 3 returnees from that trip on the 2009 trip.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Ash Towe

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »
Big trip planned for 2009.
Bandon at long last.  Taken a few years to get it together.
Meet an old friend after that and finish up in Chicago.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »
Tentative plans as follows:

Weekend on West Coast of Scotland - Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry

Weekend on East Coast of Scotland - Carnoustie, The Old Course, Kingsbairns

Weekend in Paris - Morfontaine and Chantilly

October - trip to California, starting in San Fran, down through Monterey to LA and San Diego, inland to Palm Springs then finish in Vegas. Got to work out the itinerary but hope is to play SFGC, Olympic, Pebble, Cypress Point, MPCC, Spyglass, Riviera, Torrey Pines, The Madison, Stone Eagle, The Hideaway and The Tradition.

I'd also like to sneak in a return trip to Philly with a stop in Pittsburgh bolted on for Oakmont.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 05:39:34 PM »

Why?  Because I've been wanting to get back to BM ever since I played it back in '05.  Walked away immediately wanting to get back on.  Got to love a course with zero OB and just a different atmosphere all together.  Just loved the topography there.  Paa Ko because I missed out on it the first time around + have heard only good things.  UNM because it sounds like the more interesting after BM and PKR.

From the local's perspective, those are probably the first three courses to try to see. Especially the first two, but UNM is a good one to have played as well, plus its right by the airport.

Early 2009 I'm hoping to do Phoenix a couple times, Tampa/Ft. Myers in February, and back to South Bend around Memorial Day. Baltimore and Coeur d'Alene are my hopes for later in the year. Based on the best new lists I need to try to get up to Colorado to see Cornerstone as well. Plus there's some new courses in New Mexico for me to see. As with many of the other responses, this depends on economic factors.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:37:14 PM by Andy Troeger »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »

When it gets warmer I am going to Chambers Bay then to Wine Valley. Enybody want to join me?

Anthony

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
The majors (except Turnberry) and the PrezCup, Texas/OK, Colorado, Michigan, The Buda.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:38:05 PM by Jay Flemma »

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
The only thing I know for sure is an early April trip.

Fly to Atlanta on a Thursday and immediately drive to the RTJ Trail courses near Auburn. Play Thursday afternoon, 36 on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday.

On Monday, we're going to a practice round at the Masters. Never been before and I can't wait.

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
Not much planned as of yet b/c I am slated to move to Naples, FL in July.  I have a goal to play Lost Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs and Greywalls before I move away from MI.  I havent played Arcadia in years so I'd like to get back and I have yet to play Lost Dunes and Greywalls.  Its been since 2007 that I had the chance to play Kingsley and the Downs so I'll be working towards those as well.

Other than that, trying to get my brother on board for a Pinehurst trip @ easter.  Some people are harder to convince than others. ???
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jed Peters

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
Bandon (as every year)

Rock Creek: Early June
Banff/Jasper: Early July
LACC/Riviera: Sometime in August
Sand Hills/Ballyneal (hopefully)--early September

CPC: God willing :)

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »
Heading to Gullane in the Spring with another GCAer. Going to play Muirfield, North Berwick, TOC, The Castle Course, and maybe Renaissance Club if we can fit it in.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »
Colorado in May: Castle Pines, Cherry Hills and Denver Country Club

Torrey Pines in May

England/Wales in June/July: Pennard, Royal Porthcawl, Swinley Forest, Sandwich, Deal, Rye, Sunningdale (Old and New) and Walton Heath.  I might add Woking or St. George's Hill, but not sure yet

I will also probably make a trip to Oakmont and Laurel Valley or Fox Chapel and hope to make it Shinnecock again.

Other than that, nothing else planned yet.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »
If I'm able to stay gainfully employed...London in May and Chicago in July and Long Island in September.

Chip - Methinks the "employed" is key for most of us.  I know it is for me.  I'll probably stop golf vacations till things turn around, which they certainly will - given enough time

Jon Heise

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »
hmm, lets see what the list sez...

-I'll make another UP tirp.  I still need to see Sweetgrass and Wild Bluff.  Always good to combo with Greywalls.

-My buddy has 2 trips he needs to use on his timeshare, so Tennessee in August, maybe Orlando sometime this year.

-Also, there is chit-chat about heading towards Bethpage.  Im also pushing for a Wisconsin/Lawsonia trip.

-Mainly, big plans to go out to Pebble for the Open in 2010

Other than that, Im sure there'll be a spontaneous trip or 3 tossed in there.
I still like Greywalls better.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 08:34:08 PM »
Dan-

To your point...I booked my DC to London air on United instead of Virgin Atlantic for that exact reason.  If I, or my wife, lose a job then I would rather have United "credit" for domestic trips versus Virgin that only helps me get across the Atlantic, which of course if I didn't have a job wouldn't seem likely.

Chip

ed_getka

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 08:39:15 PM »
A trip up to Michigan to visit my friend up in Frankfort. I didn't get a chance to make it up there this year with the move cross-country.
   My other trip will be to travel out west to meet up with Ash Towe who is flying up from New Zealand. Courses yet to be determined.
   I'm really looking forward to some golf in the coming year as this one had a decidedly non-golf focus. Other than the fabulous time I had at the Kings Putter with all the GCA'ers who came out to join us.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
Or before the seaside links courses are gone...  Sad, sad, sad...

Happy to report that I'm now saving up for a Scotland sojourn.

I've got to go there before I settle down ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:50:53 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jack Davis

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 10:03:28 PM »
This coming March, about 24 students from the Penn State PGM Program are going to Bandon for rounds on each course. After a week in Oregon, myself and three others are heading down the coast to play Meadow Club and Spyglass.
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
March with 1 other as part of a business trip
Scottsdale - whispering rock, Golf Club of Scottsdale
Monterey - CPC, MPCC
Bandon Dunes all 3 courses

July taking a group of 16
Alwoodley
Ganton
Moortown
Morfontaine
Royal Zoute
The above are 3 of us and the rest of the group join us for the following
St Georges Hill
Swinley Forest
Royal St Georges
Sunningdale
The Addington
Walton Heath Old
The Berkshire
Royal LIverpool
Royal Birkdale
Royal Lytham
Western gailes
Prestwick
2 days at the Open between Prestwick and Western Gailes

Clearly i cannot wait
 :)

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »
Well this year depends on a few things mainly if I join that club or not. More like if I get accepted or not lol. If I do than mostly there as it's out of state for me.

Lawsonia regardless I'm going this 09
Greywalls

The above plus if I don't get accepted than I will spend the money on the following
wild horse
bandon
pebble (gift cards yea)
black mesa
giants ridge

Or I just might fly back to Ireland in august again!!!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »
Chip - I did 3 of your 4 Chicago legs in June thanks to Dan Moore, only missed Shoreacres, WF was pretty special thanks to Dan's explaination of the tactics.

Andrew Bertram - Shabby trip.....where is Deal??

I am doing 3 possibly 4 trips in '09;

May - Lancs coast. W Lancs, Formby, Hillside and Birkdale

Late May (if picked) MCC tour to Prestwick, WG, GG and Royal Troon

June - Club tour to Flossmoor CC, Chicago GC, Inverness, Oakland Hills and TCC

Sept - BUDA

Would love to do MCC East Coast tour to Maidstone, PV, Merion, ANGC and a few others.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 06:21:25 AM »
Mark

I have played deal before and just could not squeeze it in this time around.

i am also visiting ww1 battlefields and i only have so much time.

AB

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back