News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

could the recession cause the ball to be rolled back?
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »
it would mean less land to buy for a new course, lower maintenance costs, less water used, etc............
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:53:11 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sean Leary

Re: could the recession cause the ball to be roll backed?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Roll backed? :) or rolled back?

C. Sturges

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »
I would have to say no.  There are still people with more money than they know what to do with it.  And most course owners have dreams of hosting tournaments to get their course know, not a quality course for the average player.  Personally I wish they would.

Anthony Gray

Re: could the recession cause the ball to be rolled back?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:56:47 PM »

No. Chicks dig the longball.

Anthony

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »
Roll backed? :) or rolled back?

thanks Sean

such a move might also stimulate the game and the economy:  more balls purchased to comply with the new rules, maybe more people would play cause the game should take less time since the courses would be shorter., and those new players would need to buy clubs, etc
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »
Although it should happen... no way everyone is scared to make difficult decisions today.  Better chance the ball gets another 15% longer in the next few years as

1) The USGA will be afraid of a law suit
2) We need to grow the game and making it harder now is not a good idea
3) Will the federal goverment give Accusnet a bailout to retool
4) You can't expect the consumer to throw away all of their existing balls now.
5) Babyboomers are financially strapped and giving up their health club memberships and will be losing distance even faster
6) Deflation is only happening to the $ not golf balls
7) Clubs can't afford to shorten their courses now that they just built new back tees

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »
No.

What have the rulers spent their time doing? These wisemen of the USGA and R&A?
Oh! They've instituted new rules for grooves!
Clap, clap, clap... Yawn.
If their house was burning down, they'd be all in a fury to water the lawn.

They could have kept the grooves the same if the ball went 260 on a busted drive by a pro.
But no.

Most ams would never know the difference because they use all of the clubface and even parts of the clubhead never designed to make contact with a golf ball.

It's a sad thing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:50:48 PM by Tony Ristola »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
Worse yet Mike, I can see the heads of Acushnet, Callaway, and Taylor Made private jetting to DC and begging for a bailout because of the negative growth in the game.

They'll lobby through a 5-year "deregulation" moratorium from USGA rules, opening the door to vast technological improvements in the ball and implements, arguing that the ensuing orders of magnitude increases in distance that will result will drive a whole new architectural and construction period and JOBS as courses over 10,000 yards long will instantly be required "for the good of the game".

Tony Ristola

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »
In response:

1) The USGA will be afraid of a law suit

Have no fear... they have the money and are the ruling bodies. They should just grow some balls.

2) We need to grow the game and making it harder now is not a good idea

With mega head clubs, mega head irons... 95% would never know the difference if they weren't told.

3) Will the federal goverment give Accusnet a bailout to retool

They're in business. They can make balls that comply.
It's not the retooling that scares them... it's the entrance of Chinese making balls that comply for 15 cents a shot.

4) You can't expect the consumer to throw away all of their existing balls now.

They could be used in the next couple years and fini.

5) Babyboomers are financially strapped and giving up their health club memberships and will be losing distance even faster

No... only a few will notice as most ams don't hit it consistent enough to notice.

6) Deflation is only happening to the $ not golf balls

Watch prices deflate the second the ball is rolled back.

7) Clubs can't afford to shorten their courses now that they just built new back tees

LOL.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:26:39 AM »
Advances in dimple design may produce MORE distance.

What better time to come out with a unique product that produces more distance for every level of golfer ?

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
No.  As slow as the USGA moves, we'll be through another couple of business cycles before they made a decision.   ;)

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
 8) NO..

and I wouldn't be surprized if driving ranges become more popular and long drive competitions draw more in..  spend an hour on a couple of buckets and beer for $20 will be a better value for many.. than pulling into a CC or CCFAD.. or any links
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

john_stiles

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
No.

All these things making golf more expensive hurts in the long run.

All these continual course changes for what is basically a $1 ball at the retail counter.  Very sad indeed.  Not sure why I send in my dues every year. I guess to support everything except B&I stuff.

Until the manufacturers quit funding R&D,  the ball will get better, longer, etc.  And the USGA will always lag behind because they don't do anything.
USGA does not research and develop golf ball materials, construction, etc. and will thus always be behind the manufacturers.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
I watched Palmer and Player play Riviera this morning (on the Golf Channel) and damn that course would be easier with greens that slow.  On another note those guys did not only hit the ball 260 on a busted drive and each have reasonable short birdie putts on two and reach one green so easily.  I fell back asleep after number 6.

Side note:  I do not see R&D money being spent during a recession on building a worse ball.

My point is that if you are going to roll back the ball you will need to slow down the greens.  I would love to see the industry give everybody what nobody wants so we could weed out the happenstancers who ruin so many of my days.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:50:49 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
Worse yet Mike, I can see the heads of Acushnet, Callaway, and Taylor Made private jetting to DC and begging for a bailout because of the negative growth in the game.

"Private jetting?"  No way Mikey.  After watching ls week's Big 3 fiasco it will be Club Cars, using the 90 degree rule at each and every intersection.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

"Private jetting?"  No way Mikey.  After watching ls week's Big 3 fiasco it will be Club Cars, using the 90 degree rule at each and every intersection.

Rihc,

The Big 3 of golf have more power, are more successful, are more self-importantly arrogant, and would never consider the recent lessons learned by the automaker execs as applicable to themselves.   

They have an image to maintain!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back