News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re: 27 Hole Courses
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
Wyatt,
I'm trying to remember the bunkering on the 3rd nine--I have a few photos but not in front of me. The entire nine to me seems different from the other two--including houses on the first few holes. My understanding is that Ken Dye designed all three nines, but that the third one was built later by the superintendent/GM so they may have had some different ideas/methods.

I don't think the land for the 3rd nine is as interesting. Its generally either sloped in one direction (little variation) or flat as opposed to the other sides having more varied terrain. That probably makes the biggest difference.

Jason Topp

Re: 27 Hole Courses
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
My old course split up nine original holes and mixed in nine new holes.  The architect made no effort as far as I can tell to make the new holes similar in character to the old holes.  Despite the jarring differences, I prefer the 27 hole experience to the old 18 and am happy playing any two of the three nines.

The Santa Ana Course in New Mexico seemed to me to have hacked up a very good original 18 in order to make 27 holes that are very disjointed and not as good as the original course. 

I agree that the 3rd nine at Paa-Ko was not as good as the original 18 but I thought that had more to do with the length of the holes and some pretty repetitive par threes rather than any nuances.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back