News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Re: Grandfather Golf & Country Club course profile is posted
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
Mark:

I don't know about the club championship...It was middle left the final day of the member guest though...

The pond on 1 rarely comes into play...I have actually never seen anyone hit into the pond in all the rounds I've played....I have certainly seen many people down in the hole on the nasty slope.  Maybe the pond serves some sort of irrigation/drainage function?

Bart

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »
Now that I recall, I think 3 was front right and 2 was center or back left. I think.

As for the pond, the answer always is drainage, right? The range was a touch moist and with the tilt of the fairway you'd think the pond provided some sort of solution. The odd thing for me is just how far down the pond is. A proportion thing, that's all.

Mark

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
Mark:

The pond on 1 rarely comes into play...I have actually never seen anyone hit into the pond in all the rounds I've played....

Thanks Bart... I have flared a ball or two into that body of water... perhaps I am the only one!

One of the reasons I really like the hole is I find the layup among the more uncomfortable shots on the course and thus even if not wanting to go for the green in two I always wanted the tee shot to be as long as possible so that the second was a short iron to the cramped space pover the brow of the hill.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »
Greg:

I agree (and mentioned earlier) that I am still not sure how I should play the hole.  It is a baffler.  If I hit a really good driver I can definitely get home in two...but a poor one is often disaster.  Three wood is nearly always safe but never can I get home in two and the layup is certainly a challenge (but often only requires a mid or even short iron (6-9 iron).  I still think the hole allows for the possibility of a par even with a mis-hit and I think that is what Ran meant by "easing into the round".

Greg, how often have you played GGCC and when will you be back?

Bart

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
Greg:

I agree (and mentioned earlier) that I am still not sure how I should play the hole.  It is a baffler.  If I hit a really good driver I can definitely get home in two...but a poor one is often disaster.  Three wood is nearly always safe but never can I get home in two and the layup is certainly a challenge (but often only requires a mid or even short iron (6-9 iron).  I still think the hole allows for the possibility of a par even with a mis-hit and I think that is what Ran meant by "easing into the round".

Greg, how often have you played GGCC and when will you be back?

Bart

Had the good fortune to work for John McNeely there back in the mid 90s. A special place for certain. All of my travel these days is reserved for following my beloved West Virginia Mountaineer football team and thus no golf travel of late.

GGCC puts the other courses in the area to shame.

Ed Oden

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Ran and Bart are apparently too modest to let folks know that the Grandfather profile was updated to include some great fall foliage pictures.  Absolutely beautiful!  Here is a direct link for those interested:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/grandfather1.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back