News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian_L

Who Is the Smartest golfer?
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:16:14 AM »
I'm sorry if this question has been brought up before, but who do you think is the smartest golfer in history?  Meaning course management, of course, not actual intelligence.  Were the older golfers smarter players out of necessity?

Andrew Hastie

Re: Who Is the Smartest golfer?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:02:03 AM »
Tiger!

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:33 AM »
 Watch a video of Tiger Woods when he is talking about golf and it is clear that he is light years ahead of most golfers in terms of his mental approach.  I believe that Tiger is the most intelligent athlete ever!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »
No one on tour today has better course management than Tiger. But that's not what impresses me most about his golfing intelligence. What impresses me most is his ability to isolate the shot he's executing. I never get the impression that the wheels are even slightly ajar with this guy. When the putts aren't falling or when he's driving it 50+yards offline, he still seems to post respectable scores. And he never hears someone coming from behind.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

Boo Weekly handsdown.

Anthony

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:10 AM »
Not It.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
Tiger is the smartest golfer but the dumbest guy when it comes to takes care of his chronic bad knee.

Running like he has done for years on a bum knee has taken an enormous toll on the knee and it will shorten his career by many years.

I hope he recovers fully, because he is GOLF today, I love watching him every time he plays, but I fear we have seen the best of Tiger.

Anyone know how his rehab is doing??????
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »
You always look smart when you can pull out all the shots...

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
Hands down, it's me!

Now best player... that's a bit of a different answer! ;D

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:50:03 AM »
I think Tiger is good at a lot of things , being smart not one of them .

IMHO

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:15:35 AM »
As an overall course manager or tournament manager it would be very hard not to put Jack Nicklaus at or very near the top.

Others have sort of built the theme of their careers around really excellent and intelligent course management such as Larry Nelson, Hale Irwin, Bernard Langer, and most certainly Lee Trevino and Ben Hogan and Nick Faldo.

On the amateur side of really excellent and intelligant course managers I'm aware of I'd nominate long time national and international amateurs George Zahringer, Gary Wolstenholme and even Philadelphia's Buddy Marucci who was certainly the best and most intelligent course manager I ever actully ran across playing golf.

With all those types of players it was just pretty rare to see them make what people might call blatant mental mistakes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:20:51 AM by TEPaul »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »
No love for Jack in this discussion?  I think Tiger bases his course management on Jack, who probably invented it for the modern game.  And he probably borrowed heavily from Hogan.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Of those who actually think, either Tiger or Pat Mucci.  For the Idiot Savant category, either Tom Paul or Seve.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »
Tiger, Seve or Faxon.

Scrap that, Padraig has the best mind and course managment. Lets be honest he is talented but no where near Tiger and Phils standard. But since he changed his approch 1 years ago he has had a 40% hit rate (Tiger sandard) in the events he bases his season round, the 4 Majors and the Irish Open.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:33:25 AM by Matthew Hunt »

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »
I'm not sure I'd put Tiger Woods at the top as the smartest course manager but maybe so.

I'd sure put Tiger at or near the top all time for imagination and the ability to execute effectively with remarkably imaginative shots. In that category would also be Ballesteros, probably Garcia and Mickelson. From the old days I hear one should probaby add in Walter Hagen.

It sounds to me like Tiger is capable of hitting shots that just completely astound some of his best fellow competitors and that would explain that open-mike story where Tiger was behind some trees and Ernie Els was in the fairway watching him decide what to do. I think Feherty was standing in the fairway next to Ernie and Tiger took out a club and launched it so immediately high and over the trees and onto the green that Ernie said rather loudly: "FUCK ME!" to which Feherty reminded Ernie his mike was open to the rest of the golfing world to which Ernie pooh-faced said: "Oh, sorry about that David."

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »
Watch a video of Tiger Woods when he is talking about golf and it is clear that he is light years ahead of most golfers in terms of his mental approach.  I believe that Tiger is the most intelligent athlete ever!

Rick, I agree he is very much the best of his generation in his mental approach. But the most intelligent athlete ever? I'm not sure he is even the most intelligent golfer ever. Bob Jones is the one that come to mind when I think about this. A law degree from Emory, Engineering from Georgia Tech and lit from Harvard. Did TW even graduate from Stanford?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
Anyone that has figured out how to get asked to be a course rater.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JSlonis

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 10:31:40 AM »
I'm not sure I'd put Tiger Woods at the top as the smartest course manager but maybe so.

I'd sure put Tiger at or near the top all time for imagination and the ability to execute effectively with remarkably imaginative shots. In that category would also be Ballesteros, probably Garcia and Mickelson. From the old days I hear one should probaby add in Walter Hagen.

It sounds to me like Tiger is capable of hitting shots that just completely astound some of his best fellow competitors and that would explain that open-mike story where Tiger was behind some trees and Ernie Els was in the fairway watching him decide what to do. I think Feherty was standing in the fairway next to Ernie and Tiger took out a club and launched it so immediately high and over the trees and onto the green that Ernie said rather loudly: "FUCK ME!" to which Feherty reminded Ernie his mike was open to the rest of the golfing world to which Ernie pooh-faced said: "Oh, sorry about that David."

Tom,

Here's a link to Feherty telling that story...it's a great one!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BZFG3_o27Uk

And the story in print:

David Feherty was recently interviewed and when asked about his position related to Tiger, here was his response…

“People have accused me of being so far up Tiger’s arse that he can barely make a full swing, but I maintain that he is a special person.

There’s no one else on the planet who can do what he does or even think of doing what he does. I’ve often thought, instead of showing Tiger’s reaction to a shot he’s hit, we really should show the reaction of those around him.”

But here is the next best thing. “I’m walking down the 18th fairway at Firestone Country Club with Ernie Els and Tiger, who has popped up a three-wood about 40 yards behind Ernie into some wet, nasty, horrible, six-inch rough,” Feherty says.

“Tiger’s cursing and taking clumps out of Ohio with his three-wood. And, of course, we’re not showing this on TV because we want to be able to interview him later. Ernie and I walk past Tiger’s ball, and it is truly buried.

“Ernie is tied with Tiger and he’s in the middle of the fairway. I’m standing with Ernie and my microphone is open. Ken Venturi [in the CBS booth] sends it to me and I say, ‘Tiger’s got 184 yards with two big red oaks overhanging the green. He’s got absolutely nothing. With a stick of dynamite and a sand wedge I might be able to move this ball 50 yards. Steve Williams [Woods’ caddie] tells me [with a hand signal] that he’s using a pitching wedge.’

“Tiger takes his swing. Every muscle in his body is flung at the ball. It looks like he’s torn his nutsack. The divot went as far as I could hit the ball. I’ve got my microphone at my mouth thinking, what the hell was that! The ball sails over the trees, lands behind the hole and backs up to a bout six feet from the flag. I open my microphone and Ernie turns and says, ‘F*** me!’

“My producer comes on in my earpiece and says, ‘Was that Ernie?’ I say yes. He says, ‘Fair enough.’

“I could have described that shot for 15 minutes and not done as good a job as Ernie did with two words. This is one of the best players in the world talking, and you wanna know how good Tiger is? Ask Ernie Els.”

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:41:19 AM by JSlonis »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »
I'd have to say Johnny Miller... ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
Eldrick Tiger Woods

It seems like most great golfers are either really smart or really stupid.  Being really stupid makes the mental game much easier, that's for sure.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
Peter Thomson.

Bob

Philippe Binette

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »
Billy Casper... didn't he laid up on purpose on a par 3 and won the US open...

My definition of smart is making the most out of a limited potential...
Corey Pavin could be considered.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:35 AM »
Jean Vandevelde

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:05:01 PM by Anthony Gray »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 11:55:11 AM »

John Vandevelde

Anthony,

I hope you do not find my comment unkind, but it does seem as though you  are trying to communicate with us in Esperanto. Your posts are replete with the spelling of words with which I am unaccustomed. Van der Velde's first name is Jean.

Best wishes.

Bob

Phil Benedict

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Bill Gates.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back