News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re: Wine Valley Golf Club - Walla Walla, Washington
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
 The par 3 14th

Dick, the 11th is behind and to the right of the hill in back of this green.

Afore of the green is the meandering wash - nearly a mile long -  bottom is of sand.

The par 3 11th with 15th in background. . .

Photo by Dan Hixson
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:17:11 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 06:01:15 PM »
Slagbert,

When you post new info to the thread, please make it as a new reply. That way it will get back to the top of the threads and we won't have to go looking for it.

Ragbert
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
 OK Ragbert,

Here's the short par 4 4th without the old photo effect.  Approach is from right side of picture.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Craig Sweet

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
Slag...this is how you've been spending your time since last April?

Good boy.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Norbert P

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »
Woof !

Bunkers adjacent  to par 3 6th green. Photo taken from the right.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
I spoke with Dan Proctor the other evening and I mentioned that Slag had put this thread up.  He mentioned how the bunkers were all pretty cool and the team put forth an amazing effort. He mentioned Kyle Goalby and some others (sorry) and then he started in on our ol' Slag. For those newbies who might not know, ol' Slagbert was a member of this forum years and years ago. I believe at that time he was in the Steel business. After years of studying Slag is now a more than qualified turf grass professional and according to ol' Dan, Slag has quite the dedication and imagination on site, building the minutia we rip apart daily. Not only is he intelligent but funny which has to be great for morale.

Good on ya Slag B.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Norbert P

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
 Woof ! Woof!

My nephew, Slugger Daniels, world's fastest Border Collie, scanning for pheasant in the unfarmed (CRP) land north of the course.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:00:33 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Norbert P

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »
. . . has to be great for morale.

But perhaps bad for morality.

I'm still a sophomoric student.

When I was in school, I was considered a submarine genius . . .

. . . I was always below C level.               (rim shot!) 

(Apologies to those who've heard that groaner more than several times.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:40:07 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
I talked at length with Dan H. (and drank at length with Slag!) about the unique relationship between architect/shapers/builders/supers on this project.  Clearly, this team was in sync.  The vastness of the landscape created a lot of options and a lot of opportunity for individual visions to come to life.  Dan described his role in the building of the course as that of editor.  Which I found fascinating.

Interview with Dan and other stories of Wine Valley are forthcoming.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »
Move over Valentine!

Will the Palouse become the next great place for golf?

Will Spokane International become the next great airline golf hub?

Certainly, there are people flying to Spokane to go to the private clubs around Coeur d'Alene, will example like Wine Valley and the Harbottle design in Pullman stir people's blood to play the Palouse Hills?

Remember, Bandon got going with an unknown named Kidd. Why can't the Palouse get going with an unknown named Hixson? (And Slagbert too, of course) ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
When I was in school, I was considered a submarine genius . . .

. . . I was always below C level.               (rim shot!) 

But then they didn't understand ADHD like they do now. ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 04:08:30 AM »
Woof !

Bunkers adjacent  to par 3 6th green. Photo taken from the right.

Slag

Are you gonna stick sand in them thar bunkers?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Norbert P

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
 Sean, there is now sand in that bunker.  In case I haven't mentioned it, these are construction and grow-in pictures.

Here's the par 5, 10th looking from the right approach.

The par 3 16th. 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:58:06 PM by Slag Bandoon »

BVince

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »
This course looks amazing...I am very excited and eager to see it. 
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Norbert P

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
  This is what you might see on the drive out there through the Columbia Gorge. 

Basalt cliffs above Ram on hillside, taken a couple of days ago on Interstate 84.

Norbert P

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »
 I'm not proud of the composition on my photo here but it was the last hole planted and some of the guys who created this hole - Kye Goalby, Brian Caesar, Dan Proctor and George Travis - haven't seen it in it's near-finished status.          So this is for "yous guys."       "Ok, Francis."

The right half of par 4 17th fairway.     

And Dan, the whole green is exceptional but I love the pinable (false?) front terrace which will demand thoughtful approach shots and putts. 

And to Bobby of Rexius for the considerate and careful finish work that didn't remove or diminish the fairway contours on this hole. 

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »
Got any pictures of the vertical spine feature that runs down the left side there, Slag?  I think it's on 17.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
Darn, my son the over-the-road truck driver spent the last two nights hunkered down in Pasco, just a few miles from Walla Walla.  From what he said, there was some pretty tough weather out there to endure.  I hope the turf will survive it and not get all winter killed, so the spring grow-in will procede on sched.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Norbert P

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
 Yes, Tom, sort of. This doesn't show it entirely but gives the gist of it.  (I'll look for a better presentation of it though.)

If there's anybody from the Wine Valley crew that has a photo,  please send it to me at  . . .    NorbyScapes@peoplepc.com

I am on a dial-up connection to the WWW, so be selective.   1200ish X 800ish  or smaller size is best as Photobucket, the conduit I use, maxes out at that.
    Hoping for a good shot of the Land Trout or a person behaving  . . . unfashionably. I'm sure we have lots of those floating around.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:36:53 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2008, 09:30:35 PM »
Bill,

Hello!  Good to hear.

Generally the ladies do take up my time but there are certain times I cannot pass up the site.  Sometimes its just worth it to check every once in a while...

I in fact do know a few of the WSU cheerleaders, but I think it's better we keep that for Greek Row and the weekends.

Garland,

I'm still here, just not as much nowadays.  Plus, I'm no fun to punch, I'll fight back!

Anyways, I have to go study, some girls need some help so what can I do but oblige!?

Cheers,
Jordan

John Kirk

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40:23 AM »
Jordan,

Keep studying and checking in periodically.  Good man.

JK

Norbert P

« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »
 Sunset in the Blue Mountains. 

Merry Christmas Paul Gatewood , everybody from the Wine Valley project, and all in GCA-dom, especially Garland!  (Consider this my Christmas card.) 

Virtually every night from the farmhouse we had incendiary skies like these.  Perhaps the Boilermakers added to the spectrum, but I do miss them.  (The sunsets, not the boilermakers.)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:59:42 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too Slagbert.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »
Slag,
I missed this whole thread, yikes! Looks like it's going to be a very fun place to play.
When I mentioned this course on another thread I said it's going to be surrounded by homes. It's nigh impossible to tell how much of a negative impact they'll have on the course from a site plan, but this amount of stuctural architecture doesn't seem like it will complement the GCA.  

http://www.winevalleygolfclub.com/wine_valley_community_map.pdf
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 10:22:54 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Norbert P

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »
 Jim, the housing is not as invasive as that plan looks and will go in in phases. Of course, housing market speculation comes into the equation, which I won't go into, but the houses will not be hugging any fairways and there'll be a setback and restrictions on landowner use in that setback (no tree plantings, swing sets, drive-in movie screens, etc).  No lots have been officially offered on the market, as yet, and I'm not exactly the "go to guy" when it comes to legal-speak, but I don't think the housing will ruin the golf experience. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back