News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Old MacDonald teaser
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2008, 03:44:03 PM »
Michael:

HOW the information is presented is the crux of the whole thing, to me anyway.  But I've belabored it long enough.

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2008, 03:45:09 PM »
Funny thing about this kind of golf is that after six three putts and a four putt or two yardage to the green becomes secondary.  

Well said and ironically true.

Anthony

Dean Stokes

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2008, 03:52:17 PM »
Funny thing about this kind of golf is that after six three putts and a four putt or two yardage to the green becomes secondary.  

Anthony

For who.... ??? ???
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

PCCraig

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
For some reason I am starting to think that Anthony is actually a departed poster pretending to be someone else for the sake of disrupting threads.
H.P.S.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
Michael:

HOW the information is presented is the crux of the whole thing, to me anyway.  But I've belabored it long enough.

TH

Come on Huck, why don't we change the subject to something we both agree on - the majesty of Sand Hills ;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kalen Braley

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2008, 04:00:28 PM »
I hate to admit this...but Tom H with a little input from Joe are right on the money.  Lets sum it up.

1)  Yardages.  If sprinker heads are marked/numbered and easily decoded with a yardage book I don't see the problem here. If you can afford to get your self to Bandon and pay the green fees, you can afford the $5 book.  And they are small enough to fit in your back pocket, so I don't see the big hassle to using them.

2)  Printed yardages on sprinklers.  I don't know about you guys but its often that my ball comes to rest near one, where its hard not to take a peak.  And if they are there, I think people will look, if nothing else out of habit.  When I play I'm usually looking at 2 or 3 of em before I even get to my ball so i can quickly size it up once I'm there.

3)  Based on 1 and 2, all groups are pleased.  Range finders, yardage books, caddies, caddies with Bushnells, or flying solo, everyone is pleased....except some which leads into point 4.

4)  As Joe pointed out, they already threw down the gauntlet with the no cart rule.  Throw in that theres no spa, or frilly shops, or other retail non-golf crappola, its a throwback to a yester-year type of golf experience.  Is it such a stretch to go to no yardage markings?

5)  This isn't exactly your joe-six pack destination as carts are banned and lets face it...the average blue collar join can rarely afford to play at a place like this anyways.  I think the type of regular customer who makes it out there would be easily adaptable to a non-markings course.

If the jury is still out, my vote goes for coded sprinkler heads as well and let everyone have thier fun in thier own way.  Who knows maybe Melyvn would even consider a trip over to see it then.   ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:04:57 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2008, 04:02:47 PM »

Scott - sounds good to me.

And Kalen, well summarized.  It does seem simple to me.

TH

Scott Szabo

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »
I hate to admit this...but Tom H with a little input from Joe are right on the money.  Lets sum it up.

1)  Yardages.  If sprinker heads are marked/numbered and easily decoded with a yardage book I don't see the problem here. If you can afford to get your self to Bandon and pay the green fees, you can afford the $5 book.  And they are small enough to fit in your back pocket, so I don't see the big hassle to using them.

2)  Printed yardages on sprinklers.  I don't know about you guys but its often that my ball comes to rest near one, where its hard not to take a peak.  And if they are there, I think people will look, if nothing else out of habit.  When I play I'm usually looking at 2 or 3 of em before I even get to my ball so i can quickly size it up once I'm there.

3)  Based on 1 and 2, all groups are pleased.  Range finders, yardage books, caddies, caddies with Bushnells, or flying solo, everyone is pleased....except some which leads into point 4.

4)  As Joe pointed out, they already threw down the gauntlet with the no cart rule.  Throw in that theres no spa, or frilly shops, or other retail non-golf crappola, its a throwback to yester-year type of golf experience.  Is it such a stretch to go to no yardage markings?

5)  This isn't exactly your joe-six pack destination as carts are banned and lets face it...the average blue collar join can rarely afford to play at a place like this anyways.  I think the type of regular customer who makes it out there would be easily adaptable to a non-markings course.

If the jury is still out, my vote goes for coded sprinkler heads as well and let everyone have thier fun in thier own way.  Who knows maybe Melyvn would even consider a trip over to see it then.   ;D  ;D

I can live with that, except for the no carts.  Let the next debate begin  ;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Matt OBrien

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2008, 04:08:54 PM »
How hard would it be to start out the first year or so with coded sprinkler heads and if the feedback is that negative then put it on there.
If they go with the coded sprinkler heads then somewhere it needs to be mentioned WHY they are coded and that it is part of the experience. The avg. millionare golfer doesnt care about golf arch. and its history and they dont understand who macdonald is or anything about his courses. If they do disclose this info and the people still are mad then screw them and they dont belong there.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

Anthony

For who.... ??? ???

Dean,

I  can relate to the statement.
 Many times on a golf trip I have wanted to score well but after a couple of bad holes score looses importants and I just enjoy the course. Less pressure to perform.

Anthony

Scott Szabo

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2008, 04:14:43 PM »
For me, as long as the information is made available, I don't care how it is done. 

Although I'm with Michael, the poles marking 200, 150 and 100 I can do without.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
For some reason I am starting to think that Anthony is actually a departed poster pretending to be someone else for the sake of disrupting threads.

Pat,

Certantly no departed poster spells as poorly as me.

Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »

The avg. millionare golfer doesnt care about golf arch. and its history and they dont understand who macdonald is or anything about his courses. If they do disclose this info and the people still are mad then screw them and they dont belong there.

I hope when the average millionaires private club and business fails he is your caddie and stretches out your bag straps getting them around his oversized head from generations of inbreeding.  

Anthony Gray

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »

Wasn't the concept of Bandon to be like the UK links courses to start with?

I repeat NO CARTS. NO HOUSES.
This is Dream Golf.

Anthony

Joe Bentham

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »
To Mr. Bahto-
Was your question more then a hypo?  Is there any serious consideration being put to this?  Please help stop the madness.
Tom
All I'll say is that my certainty doesn't come from any intimate knowledge of the design process, only with the resort itself.  We can talk about it till we are blue in the face, in has no chance of happening at Old Mac. 
I think some on here view Bandon in a certain Utopian light that just isn't the case.  The crowd that would be open to playing Old Mac sans yardages and with hickories wouldn't pay the bills.  And they don't make up more then a small minority of Bandon's guests in the first place.
I mean this in the nicest way but the unfortunate reality of things is the opinion of the average guest would be more in line with this post
If I wanted to 'swing away and enjoy the views' I would go for a walk on the beach or in the forest with my dog and my 8 iron.
As for flying to a golf destination and spending hundreds of $$$ to play a golf course it is certainly not about the same thing for you and I.
I am most probably playing in a competitive group and I am there to test my ability against the elements and the challenge the architect has put before me. The score I shoot is fairly important to me as a 'competitor'.
then any 'purest' or 'idealist' is willing to admit.  Bandon guests care about their score, slope ratings, Talyor Made's new driver and how far it is EXACTLY to the pin.  Its not right or wrong it is just the way it is.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Joe B.,

Madness, indeed. How about more pictures, with descriptions of exactly how one is supposed to navigate the holes as if they were going to strike every shot, within reason, perfectly.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
To Mr. Bahto-
Was your question more then a hypo?  Is there any serious consideration being put to this?  Please help stop the madness.
Tom
All I'll say is that my certainty doesn't come from any intimate knowledge of the design process, only with the resort itself.  We can talk about it till we are blue in the face, in has no chance of happening at Old Mac. 
I think some on here view Bandon in a certain Utopian light that just isn't the case.  The crowd that would be open to playing Old Mac sans yardages and with hickories wouldn't pay the bills.  And they don't make up more then a small minority of Bandon's guests in the first place.
I mean this in the nicest way but the unfortunate reality of things is the opinion of the average guest would be more in line with this post
If I wanted to 'swing away and enjoy the views' I would go for a walk on the beach or in the forest with my dog and my 8 iron.
As for flying to a golf destination and spending hundreds of $$$ to play a golf course it is certainly not about the same thing for you and I.
I am most probably playing in a competitive group and I am there to test my ability against the elements and the challenge the architect has put before me. The score I shoot is fairly important to me as a 'competitor'.
then any 'purest' or 'idealist' is willing to admit.  Bandon guests care about their score, slope ratings, Talyor Made's new driver and how far it is EXACTLY to the pin.  Its not right or wrong it is just the way it is.

Joe:

I get that, all of it.

I just don't see how the suggestion I made harms those who want distance in any way shape or form.  At the very simplest we're just asking them to get the information from a book instead of from markings on the ground.

And in so doing, the resort preserves a different type of experience, on a course meant to be different.

I see this as a win-win.  Perhaps it will not happen, as you say.  If so I'm sure the resort will continue to thrive, as will this course.  A unique opportunity will have been lost, however - and from all I have read and gleaned, Mr. Keiser is not one to give up on unique opportunities.

I also don't see that this is madness.  It's a very interesting question, either pertaining to this course or the hypothetical.  If it's madness to you, you need not comment on it.

TH

Matt OBrien

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »
Joe B. If you are a caddy at Bandon then you dont want yardages on the course. You will never have a day off and more then likely going 36 a day!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

The point is this place is different and you cannot tell me that being different is a negative financially.
People have come and will continue to come dispite carts and no yardage markers.

The idea that people will not come because of no yardage markers does not hold up because they said the same thing about no carts and look how that has worked out.

Respectfully........Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
Since the resort has caddies the cart argument does not hold.  People love caddies when they can afford them while on vacation.  Bandon also caters to a fit demographic who love to be seen enjoying the fruits of luxury.  The caddie is a perfect vessel.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2008, 04:46:09 PM »
Ive never heard of someone saying they wernt going back to PV or Merion or any other course bc they didnt have yardage markers...

Joe Bentham

« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »
Joe B. If you are a caddy at Bandon then you dont want yardages on the course. You will never have a day off and more then likely going 36 a day!!
Matt
I've said twice I'm for no yardages on Old Mac.  I think it would be neat from a golfers stand point.  As a caddie, it would only marginal change what I do (aside from all the bitching I'd have to endure).  I might carry a yardage book.  Exact numbers are for the players sake.  I also appreciate the concern but our work load is significant with three courses that are clearly marked.  People don't like carrying their bags.  nothing is going to change that.  As long as Bandon does well, I'll make ends meet.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »
hell bunker on 6

one more closer up

standing on the right side

forward and left of hell

front of the green

bunker behind green

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2008, 08:28:53 PM »
I can't believe #6 is only 460 from the tips. It will seem like a par 6 when the summer winds blow.

Hopefully Pete Pittock will share the photos he took on our walking tour. I think the Biarritz (#8) will garner a vast string of discussions on this board. MASSIVE green.

#7 will be in all of the advertisements. That green sits in the most majestic parcel imaginable.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

George_Bahto

« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
My question about no markers was a serious one. Certainly Mike will have the final say (after a couple of group discussions - hah).

John K had a good though - three, four and five putts - who needs yardage

I also think no carts trumps -  trumps no yardage

Kalen said it well: “They already threw down the gauntlet with the no cart rule. Throw in that there’s no spa, or frilly shops, or other retail non-golf crappola, its a throwback to a yesteryear type of golf experience. Is it such a stretch to go to no yardage markings?”

Joe Benthem: To Mr. Bahto - Was your question more then a hypo? Is there any serious consideration being put to this? Please help stop the madness
Joe, no not a hype ..... actually Brad and I talked about it whole playing on the last day.
Consideration, Joe? None that I know of ..... but it made for a pretty good discussion
I just threw it out there on my own for the sake of discussion

“Golf as it should be played” - play it Charley’s way! - I like that - it’s his course

I see the pencil and scorecard guys vote no

Wouldn’t it be great without yardages if it were match play?

I’m older than most (most? - perhaps nearly all) of you guys and I learned with a 150 marker at best ........ like: “gee, it look it looks like 145 to the front - perhaps a knock down 6 iron, one bounce on to the green would be right” .... esp in the winds at Bandon

Most of you will be putting within last 50-yards and certainly putting if you miss the greens on ANY side - front, left, right or over

The bunker right of 5-green is a thing of beauty - it was there before the green was built.

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back