News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Old Macdonald teaser
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Huck,

There are not enough hands to push a cart or even carry a bag and read a yardage book as quickly as simply using visual aids.  You sent me an IM saying you would ignore me and given your ability to display ignorance I would think you would be better at it than currently displayed.  Please ignore me and go play pipicaca ping pong with your other gay buds.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:46:59 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »
Huck,

There are not enough hands to push a cart or even carry a bag and read a yardage book as quickly as simply using visual aids.  You sent me an IM saying you would ignore me and giving your ability to display ignorance I would think you would be better at it than currently displayed.  Please ignore me and play pipicaca ping pong with your other gay buds.

The IM - which you now classlessly shared with the world - said I would TRY to ignore you.  At times that is difficult to do; it does remain tough to let personal attacks lie, and you did ask some decent questions in that last one.  But this post underscores again why ignorance is not only the best word to describe you, but it remains the best policy about you.

But again I quote this, so the world can see what a great guy Kavanaugh is.  This is more testament to his genius.

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »

Finding the yardage as soon as possible speeds up play. This is a list of the fastest ways to find the yardages from fastest to slowest.

1 Eyeball it
   2 Caddie
   3 GPS
   4 Laser
   5 Sprinkler Heads
   6 Yardage Books
   7 Rulers-very slow

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

Finding the yardage as soon as possible speeds up play. This is a list of the fastest ways to find the yardages from fastest to slowest.

1 Eyeball it
   2 Caddie
   3 GPS
   4 Laser
   5 Sprinkler Heads
   6 Yardage Books
   7 Rulers-very slow

Anthony

That's a fair summation.  I see little difference between 5 and 6.  And given that this course is also not going to lend itself to the need for precise distances anyway (as many have described already due to the huge greens, firm and fast conditions, ever present wind), it would seem to me the benefit of allowing the "like Charlie" experience outweighs any possible tiny pace of play negative the difference between 5 and 6 might allow for.

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »

I agree. Slow players are slow players no matter what yardage aid they use.

Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »
And the pipicaca parade begins.  Sorry boys but sprinkler heads are much faster than Lasers because you know your yardage before you even get to your ball.  You walk by a sprinkler head on the way to your ball and add the 10 or twenty yards you have left to walk.  It is much, much faster than any laser.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2008, 11:25:13 AM »

John,

Some courses they are hard to find. At my home course many are overgrown with bermuda.
But at Bandon with the tight fescue they are easier to find.

Caddies are just better because they add to the experience for reasons more than just yardage.

Anthony

Michael Dugger

« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
One thing you guys don't seem to understand or miss are the great efforts taken at Bandon to keep play flowing.  I would much prefer yardage markers on sprinkler heads to one more Dead Head standing on a dune counting mississippies between groups.

Boy is that a genius take.  Thankfully last time I played they had cut back on the "yellow jacket" brigade.  Worst idea ever.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
One thing you guys don't seem to understand or miss are the great efforts taken at Bandon to keep play flowing.  I would much prefer yardage markers on sprinkler heads to one more Dead Head standing on a dune counting mississippies between groups.

Boy is that a genius take.  Thankfully last time I played they had cut back on the "yellow jacket" brigade.  Worst idea ever.

It would be a genius take if the assumption was that lack of sprinkler head markings meant more of the yellow jacket brigage.  This is far far far from a fair assumption.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Hmmm...and to think this whole time I thought it was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor.  I guess them history books need re-writing.  ::)  ::)

Please tell me you have seen Animal House.

TH

Ummm, no I actually haven't.  Does this need to go on my must see DVD rental list?   ;D

Michael Dugger

« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

It would be a genius take if the assumption was that lack of sprinkler head markings meant more of the yellow jacket brigage.  This is far far far from a fair assumption.

Ah come on, Huck, it isn't often I agree with John about something!  My point is the deadheads need to go!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony Gray

« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
Hmmm...and to think this whole time I thought it was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor.  I guess them history books need re-writing.  ::)  ::)

Please tell me you have seen Animal House.

TH

Ummm, no I actually haven't.  Does this need to go on my must see DVD rental list?   ;D

Kalen.

Maybe you spend too much time in the treehouse.  ;D ;D

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »

Ah come on, Huck, it isn't often I agree with John about something!  My point is the deadheads need to go!

If the question is the deadheads must go, then fine.  That's not the issue here at all.

And Kalen, yes, you do need to see this.

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »
Tom H:

Not marking the sprinkler heads, is a battle I don't intend to fight.  I've done it a couple of times before and succeeded in NOT providing yardages at Barnbougle Dunes, but it was pretty unpopular -- even though Australians are not as used to having yardages as Americans are.

I'd rather not tilt at windmills (to change the active metaphor).  And, like I said, The Sheep Ranch is just across the street if you want to play without modern conveniences.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2008, 12:08:40 PM »

How many holes have ocean views?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »
Tom H:

Not marking the sprinkler heads, is a battle I don't intend to fight.  I've done it a couple of times before and succeeded in NOT providing yardages at Barnbougle Dunes, but it was pretty unpopular -- even though Australians are not as used to having yardages as Americans are.

I'd rather not tilt at windmills (to change the active metaphor).  And, like I said, The Sheep Ranch is just across the street if you want to play without modern conveniences.

Tom D.:  understood.  An any man who can throw in Don Quixote earns immediate respect.

;D

Ok then, if the architect himself is against it, well it's gonna be a tough fight for even George to tackle. 

One final question though:  don't you think it would be pretty cool at OM?  You can answer off the record if you wish.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »

How do you define ocean view?  There is a huge difference between just seeing water and seeing wave termination.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »

Of the initial 10 holes built, the 7th green and 8th tee offer the only substantial ocean views. The 15th and 16th, when built, will also hug the coast in places, if memory serves. Not sure how many inland holes will be elevated enough to peek out at the blue stuff.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »
Joe - thanks much for posting. What a remarkable dovetailing of the art and craft of design OM seems to be -- I can't tell where one starts and the other begins, and have no desire even to figure it out.  But I hope there are yardage indicators when I get there - I think I'd be overwhelmed with the space of it all without them

Peter

Michael Dugger

« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »

I'll answer your question.......

#1 and #2 will not afford any views, these holes are on the backside of a large bluff tall enough to prevent you from seeing ocean.

#3 crests this bluff and from the top (near the snags) you ought to absolutely be able to see the ocean.  The 10 hole preview consists of most of the holes within the "bowl" area and hole #3 brings you into this "bowl."

#4 kinda plays in a saddle so I doubt you can see much ocean from this fairway.

#5 tee is elevated and should offer some peaks at the ocean as well.

#6 is a little too low to offer views, although peaks across Pacific Dunes and through holes in the gorse might offer some views at the blue....

#7 plays towards the ocean climaxing at a green perched up on the cliffs over the ocean.  This green and #8 tee (which plays back inland) occupy prime real estate.  Right up on the edge a la the 13th at Pacific (which is just around a big mound to the south)

#8, pretty much through #13, occupy the bowl area.  I think everyone involved with the project was super excited to learn how rumpled the ground is within this area, once the gorse was removed.  Views of the ocean from within this area will be sporadic, and will depend upon on just exactly where you are standing. 

#14 plays uphill and will certainly offer ocean views to those who turn around and look back that direction. 

#15 has yet to be built, but will play from a high spot near the 14th green out towards the ocean finishing at a green on the same bluff where the 7th green and 8th tee reside.  This hole ought to be a real beauty.

#16 will then begin the three hole stretch back towards the clubhouse.  This hole should begin with the golfer's back to the ocean and I think will offer your final glimpse of the ocean from the elevated "alps" green looking back.

#17 and #18 are back on the other side of the bluff where #1 and #2 reside.  I don't think you will be able to see any blue from there..... 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:24:09 PM by Michael Dugger »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:22 PM »

Michael,

THANKS for the overview. I was my hope that the ocean was in view during the round. Thans for taking the time.

Well appreciated..........Anthony

Michael Dugger

« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Michael,

THANKS for the overview. I was my hope that the ocean was in view during the round. Thans for taking the time.

Anthony,

Have you been to Bandon?  The cool thing about the entire place is even without the ocean, the terrain is awesome. 

Aesthetically speaking, the more inland holes at Old Mac will be akin to Bandon Trails.  Cool windswept trees, native gunk, madrone and other ground cover abounds.  It's just golf country at it's finest. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2008, 02:21:34 PM »

Michael,

Anthony,

Have you been to Bandon?  The cool thing about the entire place is even without the ocean, the terrain is awesome. 

Aesthetically speaking, the more inland holes at Old Mac will be akin to Bandon Trails.  Cool windswept trees, native gunk, madrone and other ground cover abounds.  It's just golf country at it's finest. 

Michael,

I have been to Bandon 4 times. I recall looking at the land where OM was to be built and just wondering how close they could bring it to the water.

If you do not care to disclose your roll at OM I would like to know what your involvement with Bandon is. Will there be more and why have they not used the coastal land in the north for more than the sheep ranch?

Thanks..........Anthony

Tom_Doak

« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:59 PM »
Anthony:

There isn't much coastal land between the 13th green at Pacific and Whiskey Run Road, which goes down to the beach north of the resort.  What there is, is a pretty steep dune right on top of the cliff with no room for golf between cliff and dune (like what's behind the 13th green at Pacific Dunes).

We have done some earthwork on top of the dune for #7 and 8 and are doing a bit more for #15.  There is some more land to the west of these, but nowhere you could put a golf hole.

There is a little bit of land north of Old Macdonald reserved for "future development" as in potential homesites, but Mr. Keiser has told me a couple of times that won't happen in our lifetimes.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

Tom,

Thank you. That land just has beutiful views.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back