News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Ravisloe for sale
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »
OT, but here in DFW, the prime Jewish club - Columbian Club - is remodeling and rebranding as an exclusive golf club without any affiliations.  D magazine said it was a signal of the decline of Jewish culture in the city.  The clubhouse was scene to many of the top Jewish functions, like Debutant balls, etc. but is being totally revamped and downsized.

From the golf side, they say that they will give it a few years to succeed (I think they gave away some memberships to local celebs to draw others in) If it doesn't work they are sitting on about 300 prime acres of real estate and they will just sell it off, according to news reports (since I am not involved in the reno)

Jeff,

That was a great article, I read it in hotel room the other night at the Melrose Warwick. FYI, if you're ever over there don't go to any bars.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »
SL -

I always wish that you'd post more often, but maybe it's because you don't that you can offer up posts like this lastest one.

Thanks for the education.

Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
I hope I did not offend any of my friends but that is the exact copy of the email I sent to the Nation of Islam on the link provided above.  I look forward to posting their response.  These are rare times full of special opportunities to bridge rivers we thought may have never been crossed.

Dan Moore

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
I was fortunate to have an opportunity to play Ravisloe last year. Perhaps Tim Cronin can add more on the heritage but its my understanding the original 9 holes were James Foulis. Willie Watson working with club pro Robert White and President Alek Brauer expanded the course to 18 holes around 1910. Donald Ross made some changes later on but I'm not sure to what extent. Course is touted as a Ross but I'm not sure he was responsible for very much. In any event Dave Esler's bunker work was superb;  Brauer would have approved.     
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

SL_Solow

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
Dan, I believe  Bauer was an early pro, not the club president.  If you can get a copy of his book Hazards it will give a great perspective on early courses.  I have a reissue we can look at over lunch one day.

Barney; in my experience it is dangerous to try to broker a deal between parties you don't know concerning property you haven't seen.  In any event, I suspect there is very little in the business world in and around the south side about which the Nation of Islam needs any of our help.  Regardless of your motives, you are swimming in waters where you really need a chart or at least an informed lifeguard. 

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »

SL_Solow

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »
Pat Craig, send me a private message.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 12:28:33 AM »
Here's a link to a story in Thursday's SouthtownStar by my colleague John K. Ryan:

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1289494,112008ravisloe.article

Ryan reports the broker for the property has had inquiries, but nothing solid. The mayor of Homewood wants it to stay green, if not a golf course. Only 45 members remain.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

JWinick

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 01:48:31 AM »
I was one of the last people to play Ravisloe - so sad.  The golf course is a blast to play with wide fairways and wild greens.   It's zoning does not allow re-development and it is likely that the town wouldn't allow it due to the fact that the school district is jammed with students.

In my opinion, a buyer might as well wait for the bank to own the property...

Dan Moore

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »
Shelly,

I must have assumed Bauer was Ravisloe's President, however it is documented that he was the Green Committee Chair at Ravisloe so I assume once again he was an active member.  I believe White was their professional.  I have also seen a reference to a local pro named Bauer who was at Lakeshore CC in the teens.  Perhaps there were two golfing Bauers in Chicago in the teens. 

I have seen Bauer pamphlet, I think its available from the USGA site as a download. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
This a Golfing Magazine piece from February 1914 about Ravisloe and Mr. Alex Bauer.

At one time I think Ravisloe had the most intricate bunkering of any club in the midwest.

Another interesting feature I remember about Ravisloe was the incredible flower gardens around the clubhouse.

Dan Moore

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 09:34:39 AM »
I have to correct my correction.  I found an article on Bauer from 1919 in my files.  It states Bauer was President of Ravisloe in 1903 and 1904 and on the Board from 1908-1913.  It also stated he was a member at Lakeshore and Northmoor.  I found another article stating Ross designed the 15th hole and a new green on 18 in 1918. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »
Anyone know what is meant by "Sabonga"?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

SL_Solow

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »
Thanks Dan.  My recollection was obviously incorrect.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »
My google search for "Sabonga" didn't reveal much except for this:

Siyabonga Name Meaning and Origin
The Name Siyabonga is a boy's name. The origin of the baby name Siyabonga is Zulu with the meaning(s) depending on Gender/Origin being

Zulu- we thank you 

So I guess it means a thank you to Mr. Bauer.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:07:44 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
Ravisloe Country Club has hired Riverwoods-based Podolsky Northstar Realty Partners to sell the 160-acre private club and golf course in Homewood with a listing price of $4.95 million. At this time it is being listed as a golf course property, with the support of local officials who hope a buyer would continue to operate it as a golf course. Due to an oversupply of private clubs in the region, most would like to see it remain open space as a public course.

Just in case you were wondering, the land is currently zoned PL 2, which seems to be designed to protect open space.

From the Homewood Zoning Ordinance: “The purpose of the PL 2 Public Land and Open Space Zoning District is to protect and maintain public properties owned by the Village, the park district, school districts, and privately-owned country clubs. The development standards provide flexibility to local government bodies and country clubs in the use of their land while protecting surrounding residential uses.”

www.chicagolandgolf.com/blog1/?p=590#more-590

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back