News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Much Deserved Attention
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »
Congrats to fellow-GCAer and close friend Sean Tully for exposure on his SUPERB research skills and contribution to golf architecture, history and design. The article seems a little short, even though it's a two-page spread......if I know Tully I'm sure they had to whittle down his responses a bit! :) The piece could have easily been a full-feature 4-pager on Sean.....and that would only be the beginning of the wealth of knowledge he holds in that little head of his!

I'm putting my copy in a plastic slip-cover now......and I'm asking for an autograph next time I see you! Good job Tully.....well-deserved. I hope this isn't the last major publication we see of yours.

http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/article/5559/csi-course-sleuthing-intelligence.html

P.S. The online article even has an extra paragraph (Q&A) at the end that the publication doesn't mentioning other great GCA accomplices (sp?)!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Joe Hancock

Re: Much Deserved Attention
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:43:50 PM »
Well done, Professor!

Now, if you could let people in on how strange your musical tastes are..... ;D

Joe

p.s. It slipped past me the first time, but.....young Assistant Superintendent?...Hah!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:47:37 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:52:32 PM »
Atta Boy Sean!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:52 PM »
Thanks - that was a great read - I wanted to here more about what he has found.

Sean, please offer us up a post on some of your interesting findings.

Regards,

Ian Andrew

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 12:25:48 AM »
Well done Sean
Great recognition for all your hard work. I got to the end of the article and was hoping there was more.
And good to see a pic of you too!
Sean should be a candidate for a GCA Interview I reckon where he could elaborate on some of his research in a little more depth than he could in that article.
cheers Neil

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:25 AM »
You gotta love Tully.  I played golf with Sean at Ballyneal a couple years ago.  He's uses hickories, as you might expect.  He's old school.

Josh Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
When it rains it pours..................Here is an article from Golfweek/Turfnet from last week some time on Tully.

http://www.turfnet.com/view_news.php?obj_id=242

Great to see this getting MUCH DESERVED ATTENTION.  I know a lot of Architects that have Tully on Speed Dial hoping to elicit any great old photos or history on the most famous to most obscure courses.

I refer everyone to him when they come to me with anything other than the most elementary questions.

He just landed some great MacKenzie Hunter related info on Cal Club which brought smiles to a lot of faces around here.

Grandpa Joe,

Music, what about his taste in Movies? :o

Nice going Tully.

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:20 AM »
Just took the time to read those articles...good on ya, Sean.

Jed

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
Very, very interesting, Sean. Continued success with your research work.

The Mackenzie timelime is remarkably fascinating... especially his stint in Australia. What a busy visit to Aus. that seems to have been... site inspections, reports, plans, more travel...

It's an amazing piece of golf history... particularly in light of the results! My hat's off to all involved with putting this timeline together.
jeffmingay.com

Sean_Tully

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 01:50:43 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Joe, I was wondering if I was going to hear back from you regarding my musical tastes. I’m guessing that the Sigur Ros music was a deal breaker, give them another try and start with Popplagið, if it’s not on the disk then I apologise. Also, keep in mind that they are from Iceland.

Josh, thanks for the words and I will keep you guys informed on any new info that I find.

Ian, I could give you a list of what I have found, but I would rather say that I like to figure things out and find things that others can’t. I am in the process of putting together a concise history of the SFGC’s Tillinghast course. All that I will say for now is that I hope to look at a course routing map that will show me the course in 1918 prior to Tillie’s arrival. I hope it will make for some interesting insight in what Tille and the club decided to do. You may remember my post on GCA about Bell Sr. being responsible for the “lacy” edged bunkers that were done in 1930.

Most of all my research is old school as they have yet to digitize the old papers here. I have gone through the San Francisco Chronicle from Feb of 1920 to Aug of 1927 looking at the sports page and the Sunday photo section. I had to stop for about a month as I my eyes were getting ready to spin around in my head after looking at microfilm for 5 hours at a time. Needless to say I have learned a lot about golf in the Bay area and hope to one day put it into a book. I like to help people and courses where I can and make sure that people are more aware of their given courses history.

I have to take my hat off to Neil, Nick Leefe, and Mark Bourgeois as we have taken the MacKenzie Chronology research to a whole new level. The increase in information from the 13th version to the 14th was astonishing and we managed to one up it with our 15th version.  I look forward to having more input from people on the AMC and continue to find new and interesting information that will reshape our ideas about AM and Robert Hunter as well.

Tully

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »
Hello Tully,

When will the Mackenzie timeline be published in its 15th version?  I was surprised to hear he was in Vancouver as it's certainly not on the way to anywhere.  Unless he caught the Canadian Pacific there for a tour of the courses at Banff and Jasper.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »
Sean
Another great story on Turfnet - well done Sean. And I'm all ears regarding the Mackenzie/Hunter material regarding the Cal Club - please elaborate! Now!

Bill
Without answering for Sean, we keep finding so much more info for the Timeline its hard to know where and when to draw the line under Version 15 and put it out there.

Vancouver may not be on the way to anywhere, but it is on the way back. Mackenzie and the British Seniors had headed west (after playing in Quebec, Toronto and Montreal, also New York), playing in Winnipeg at St Charles and then at Jasper Park in the Rockies. As we know that he was at Pasatiempo first week of October 1928, he came back to California via Vancouver and Victoria, with 4 other members of the British seniors. The newspaper reports indicate this small party were guests of A J Hills, vice president of Canadian National railways. They naturally travelled on the railway.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS SEAN....OOPS....I was to send you some info almost a year ago from the GCSAA show.....but it slipped my mind...apologize.....tell me what we had discussed.....good article.Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 09:53:20 PM »
Sean
Another great story on Turfnet - well done Sean. And I'm all ears regarding the Mackenzie/Hunter material regarding the Cal Club - please elaborate! Now!

Bill
Without answering for Sean, we keep finding so much more info for the Timeline its hard to know where and when to draw the line under Version 15 and put it out there.

Vancouver may not be on the way to anywhere, but it is on the way back. Mackenzie and the British Seniors had headed west (after playing in Quebec, Toronto and Montreal, also New York), playing in Winnipeg at St Charles and then at Jasper Park in the Rockies. As we know that he was at Pasatiempo first week of October 1928, he came back to California via Vancouver and Victoria, with 4 other members of the British seniors. The newspaper reports indicate this small party were guests of A J Hills, vice president of Canadian National railways. They naturally travelled on the railway.

Neil, I guess Vancouver - Santa Cruz by rail.  Too bad, steamship down the West Coast would have been much more romantic!

Sean_Tully

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »
Sean

Bill

Neil, I guess Vancouver - Santa Cruz by rail.  Too bad, steamship down the West Coast would have been much more romantic!

Bill

You are connecting the right dots. I have to update some of my notes on the British Seniors Trip to Canada and the US. Neil keeps digging up new or conflicting info and has been keeping Nick Leefe busier in his retirement (not including all of his walking tours and trip to New Zealand).

As Neil mentioned above, we keep digging up new info that only raises more questions that puts  AM in new and interesting places. I'm just now getting into 1927 in the SF papers and look forward to more info coming out. I have just found an article where Hunter talks about the bunkering at Cal Club, it is rather casual talk that doesn't get into the details, but it was more than what we had before.

The 14th was a huge improvement on the AMC and the 15th may even surpass it with new and enlightening information! Hope that with our new information more clubs and historians will have a better guide for research at their given course.

Tully

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back