News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian_L

The Jagged Diagonal Carry
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »
I played at a rather uninteresting course today (Alameda North) and was trying to find something architecturally stimulating about it.  So as I came upon the 5th hole, a short par-4 with a diagonal water hazard, I thought about the merits of the hazard's jagged nature.  It made me think a bit more about my aiming point, since the carry distances weren't as straightforward. 

The first two pictures were taken from the blue tees.  The green is in front of the clump of five large trees in the distance.  The carry directly at the green is about 225 from the blues, 285 from the blacks.  There is also water well right of the fairway.

Sorry for the bad quality, it was dark...

Zoomed in:

From farther right:

Are there any good examples of this on better courses?  Is a smooth diagonal better?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:48:26 PM by Ian_Linford »

Kalen Braley

Re: The Jagged Diagonal Carry
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
Ian,

I've played this course a few times and it is very dis-orienting as to where to hit the tee ball.  It was more intimidating than stimulating to me, but for a longer hitter certainly presents some interesting dilemas.

I recalled there being some trouble to the right, but the pics don't seem to indicate anything too scary.  ;)

Ian_L

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »
Kalen, there is a water hazard about 15 yards right of the cart path that runs up to about 80 yards short of the green.  A 240-yard drive at the barber pole from the blues will likely run into the water.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:22:50 AM »
When I was really accurate, I would have aimed for the 7th bird from the right.....

I actually like a jagged edge carry with sand rather than water.  I designed one recently, loosely based on the 1st at Shinny and we will see if I can attach a pic (it will be during grassing)  If not, the hole doglegs right and has bunkers staggered for back tee carries of 210-240-270 to get the opening to the green.....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:26:05 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »
For me, a jagged lake edge works much better if there is a little bit of elevation change, so you can get a clear view of what's going on.  On the hole depicted, it's very hard to tell until that third picture how much the lake edge is moving in and out.  I'm not trying to fool golfers into penalty strokes.

Ian_L

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 02:43:36 AM »
While the carry is easier to judge in real life, I can see how an elevation change would improve the hole.  There's a course called Boundary Oak in the East Bay where on the 9th hole (par 4) the second shot is blind, with a water hazard short of the green.  I've seen many people (including myself a few times) surprised to find their balls in the water after an OK shot.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »

A  Cape Hole..correct?

Anthony

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
  Patrick ! That looks like a great golf hole . . .

. . . to poop on!

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back