News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Our second Feature Interview with Joel Zuckerman is posted and this one is on his recently released book entitled Pete Dye Golf Courses – Fifty Years of Visionary Design.

With nearly 100 courses profiled, all with huge color up-to-date photos, this book captures what Dye has meant to golf course architecture. At the very start, Joel quotes Dye as saying that, ‘I find the greatest satisfaction in believing that I have somehow contributed in making the game I love a more exciting one to play.’

Clearly he is one of the few men who can honestly make that claim. Importantly, he was capable of greatness, as witnessed at The Ocean Course at Kiawah, The Golf Club, Casa de Campo, Harbour Town, The River Course at Blackwolf Run, Whistling Straits, The Honors Course, TPC at Sawgrass, Pete Dye GC and Long Cove. That’s ten  :o courses by one modern architect that routinely get plenty of support for inclusion in the world top 100 by GOLF Magazine. Plain and simple, that’s awesome.

Joel takes you on a tour of these fabled courses. Just as importantly though, he also introduces you to some of the lesser known gems. His profiles of the River Course at VA Tech and the Dye Club at Barefoot make me want to see those close-by courses, not to mention Urbana CC by ‘Pink’ Dye.

Beyond Dye’s in the field work, his reach and impact on other modern architects is second to none and his ability to inspire others is explored within the Feature Interview. In short, what more could the man have accomplished? What a fantastic life! Becoming the most famous architect of the last half of the twentieth century isn’t all bad.

Of course, he took some chances along the way and like any artist, some of those chances didn’t come off as well as others. I have played Crooked Stick in 1986, 1996 and 2006 and each decade it has diminished in my eyes. It went from being a unique low profile design like The Golf Club to trying needlessly to keep up with modern gimmicks (an island tee in Indiana, please  :P). In addition, given Dye’s sparkling resume, you would think you wish he won every project possible. Yet, who here wishes Youngscap had stuck with him after Firethorn (a fine course) at Sand Hills? Not I. Of course, that’s not very fair as it is hard to picture anyone improving on what eventually emerged at Sand Hills. Yet, in looking at my personal top ten list of his courses above, half were built on land with little topo, which is pretty amazing in its own right. Which leads to a question: is it fair to say that he was better at creating something from nothing than perhaps following the lead of natural landforms?

Either way, he is a genius and we are lucky that Joel’s book captures so much of what makes him so special.

Cheers,

P.S. Should you be interested in buying the book Pete Dye Golf Courses, there is a special offer direct from Joel to GolfClubAtlas readers at the end of the Feature Interview.

Jim Nugent

Did Pete get any outstanding sites to work on?  If so, how did those courses turn out? 

Joel Zuckerman

My thanks to Ran on two counts:  First, for granting me this interview, and second, for his very comprehensive and complementary opening post.

While I'm thanking people, let me also thank the dozens of GCA fans who have purchased the new Dye Book directly from me, and in many cases, chosen special-edition covers not available in stores, and various add-on gifts I've enclosed as a bonus for purchasing direct.  With the Holidays looming, I am hoping to attract more orders from this ultra-knowledgable and passionate forum, and have upped the ante once again in terms of bonus gifts.  Please click here for the details:

http://www.vagabondgolfer.com/GCA%20letter--2.pdf

Jeff_Mingay

Congratulation on a fine piece of work, Joel. I picked up my copy of your new book a few weeks ago, and have really enjoyed periodically picking it up to read about different courses.

As someone pretty familiar with Dye's most noted works, I'm most fascinated reading about his earliest courses in Indiana.

Continued success,
jeffmingay.com

Joel Zuckerman

Jeff,

Thank you for your kind remarks, I appreciate them very much.

Jim--in my opinion, Pete Dye had some excellent sites to work on in his career, in additon to all the rotten ones.  These include on Kiawah Island, where he produced The Ocean Course, and certainly near Chattanooga, where he blasted the ethereal Honors Course out of the Tennessee chert.  Other nice pieces of land include Bulle Rock in Maryland, and Colleton River Plantation, just off Hilton Head Island.

PCCraig

A very nice interview and an even better book.

I would urge the other GCAers to purchase this book from Joel.
H.P.S.

Joel Zuckerman

A very nice interview and an even better book.

I would urge the other GCAers to purchase this book from Joel.

Nothing more compelling than an unsolicited testimonial!  Thanks Pat!

Robert Thompson

Joel: But your offer discriminates against us fine folks north of the 49th parallel, and makes no reference to your uncanny bar tricks. What was it -- spinning plates, or juggling? I can't quite recall...

Regardless, congrats.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Joel Zuckerman

Joel: But your offer discriminates against us fine folks north of the 49th parallel, and makes no reference to your uncanny bar tricks. What was it -- spinning plates, or juggling? I can't quite recall...

Regardless, congrats.

Yes, Robert--my semi-impressive array of parlor tricks are still intact--the two you mentioned, behind-the-back catching, one-legged poetry reciting..butI'd trade it all away in a heartbeat for the ability to break 80 three or four times out of ten!

Thanks for the good wishes, but I'm confused--how exactly am I discriminating against you and the rest of the Dudley Do-Rights?

Robert Thompson

It would appear the offer is only available to those fine folks who live in Obama-land to the south. Is that correct?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Joel_Stewart

Re: Feature Interview with Joel Zuckerman on his new Pete Dye book is posted
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »
Good luck with the book.

Does the book talk about other courses and his thoughts on modern architecture?   "Bury me in a pot bunker" talks quite a bit about classic courses he studied which has always baffled me due to his love for Raynor and yet many of his courses are so modern.   Perhaps it's his take on manufacturing.

Joel Zuckerman

Re: Feature Interview with Joel Zuckerman on his new Pete Dye book is posted
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 06:13:24 PM »
It would appear the offer is only available to those fine folks who live in Obama-land to the south. Is that correct?
Incorrect, my erudite Canadian friend...I do not know if my shirt supplier is willing to ship north of the border, but I will be happy to ship extra books or shades as a thank you to anyone in Canada.  The postage is at a premium (an extra $20) because there's no such thing as book rate or media mail to Canada....it HAS to be sent priority mail.

Good luck with the book.
Does the book talk about other courses and his thoughts on modern architecture?  

Joel-The only place that non-Dye courses really comes up is in the extensive introduction to the book.  Once the book begins in essence, it is basically a course-by-course tour of Pete's many triumphs, interspersed with commentary from Pete, the developers/owners who hired him, and a wide array of former co-workers, friends, admirers, Tour players, etc. 

You can get a better idea of the content by clicking on this very positive review which has just appeared at Cybergolf.com:

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/pete_dye_golf_courses_by_joel_zuckerman

Let me know if I can be of service to you...there's no way in hell I will ever mess up your name on the inscription!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back