News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: May I suggest Spell Check?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »

aRE WE GOLFERS OR eNGLISH MAJORS?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »
Phillip,

Nice catch...and to boot I see at least 2 grammatical errors in his last paragraph.

If you're really that drunk... failing to recognise your own work might at least alert you to your state. And - Yes, I am a rotten typist and I have posted drunk a few times.

Just love the irony of it all.   ;D  ;D

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »
Philip

The 1/ then B/ thing - It's my wife's favourite joke. I like it, too. From SNL a long time ago, apparently.
As to my grammar, I hope I've not set my self up in a glass house here. I have no grammar education - I just try to write what sounds right. And I keep the dictionary application open.

LLoyd,

It is either points 1 & 2 or A & B. It is not 1 & B:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two reasons -

1/ If you consistently misspell we will start to doubt your basic intelligence. If without fail you type 'your' when you mean 'you're' it's negative kudos every time. It adds up.

B/  If you reconsider what you just wrote, you might want to edit more than just the spelling.

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »
a perfectly legitimate spelling for this word in both England and Australia. It's the Americans who want to put "z"s into all sorts of words where "s" will do nicely.

Neil

I'm with the yanks for this one.  If it was up to England and Australia, Z might as well not exist!

Paul

that might suit the Australians.  It would mean the end of that trans-Tasman rivalry with the Kiwi's from New Sealand!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »
Lloyd,
 I just got done reading the Walk In The Park blog, and I can too say that I'm ready for a stiff drink.

It's all about the Line of Charm--everything that exists between me and the bar. Hopefully Kate Winslet will be in that direct line--my direct line of instinct.

From the new Vanity Fair, Kate emulating Catherine Deneuve (Oui! Oui!):

PThomas

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »
Lloyd,
 I just got done reading the Walk In The Park blog, and I can too say that I'm ready for a stiff drink.

It's all about the Line of Charm--everything that exists between me and the bar. Hopefully Kate Winslet will be in that direct line--my direct line of instinct.

From the new Vanity Fair, Kate emulating Catherine Deneuve (Oui! Oui!):

wow, i saw her on the cover and she looked good there ;D

i need to get a copy of that issue
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
Tommy
I was lucky enough to be somewhere where I could pick that copy up and peruse without having to go out of my way and look like the lech that I clearly am. She is fine, but she always has been.

You know, in the little experience I have with the written word, written to be be published, that is - it's awfully hard to spot one's own mistakes, typos etc. Editors at all levels are needed by the best of writers. So I'm not suggesting that the folk here are any better or worse than the norm, just that it's easy to screw up and the spell check does at least help minimise the damage... if only because it forces us to reevaluate what we've written.  Those of us with our own blogs don't, as a rule, have editors, and we all suffer as a consequence.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
Lloyd,

Don't feel bad... I can't tell you the number of times I've used spell check on an article and sent it off knowing it was perfect only to have an editor make "grammatical corrections!"

Unfortunately spell check is just a bit too "human."  ;D

Matt OBrien

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »
I will admit I am the worst speller in the world. I get yelled at all the time for it but im too lazy to fix it. Last time I cared about spelling was english class in High School

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »
Philip

How to spell a word is not up for discussion.

How to use the word is. Spell Check has nothing to do with the humanisation ( add your z if you like)  of writing. Editors, on the other hand, can wreak havoc. They can also help.

link=topic=37545.msg772377#msg772377 date=1227497958]
Lloyd,

Don't feel bad... I can't tell you the number of times I've used spell check on an article and sent it off knowing it was perfect only to have an editor make "grammatical corrections!"

[/quote]

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
Matt

If that is the case, then please don't expect us to read to the end of your posts.

I will admit I am the worst speller in the world. I get yelled at all the time for it but im too lazy to fix it. Last time I cared about spelling was english class in High School

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
George is right though about Firefox. The spell check on it is pretty cool. I've been using it for as long as three or four years now, but if they could just find a way to tell you where to put the commas and stuff, we'd be really in the ball park!

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 12:56:27 AM »

Phil,
Unfortunately, so is reality. My point is that the chances of me walking into a bar while trying to get a drink to overcome the effects of the Walk In The Park blog, and then seeing Kate in my Line of Instinct, because that's the first place I would look, when the entire surreal situation would become a Line of Charm, its about that time to WAKE UP.

Paul, yes, Kate looks good. About the best I've ever seen her, and thats the point.

Lloyd,
Thank God you don't have Phil Spector as a editor.

James Bennett

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 01:19:07 AM »
Q.  Spell Check.

A.  Cheque

Do I win?  ;D
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 06:54:14 AM »
Q.  Spell Check.

A.  Cheque

Do I win?  ;D

BZZZZZ...wrong answer. The correct spelling is

C-h-e-c-h

Thanks for playing at home.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Paul_Daley

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 07:01:27 AM »
This whole thread is spellbinding! :D

The use of "Z" has its place --- usually when waxing about about Frank Zappa or Led Zeppelin. :D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 07:21:03 AM »
Q.  Spell Check.

A.  Cheque

Do I win?  ;D

C-h-e-c-h

Joe

I think you were thinking about "Czech," unless you are a Chelsea fan, in which case it would be "Cech."  Of course, I could been thinking wrong and/or you really weren't thinking at all!

j-p p

James Bennett

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 07:21:25 AM »
Q.  Spell Check.

A.  Cheque

Do I win?  ;D

C-h-e-c-h

Try #2

Q.  Spell Check

A.  Czech (thinking Ivan Lendl here, to maintain a quasi golf link here).

edit.  Bother, the hyphen beat me by 20 seconds (see post above).  Note to self - must learn to type more quickly.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »

Well I don’t know what you guys are talking about, but I have been told I am aixelsyd, (spell check has flagged that), try again dielexcia (no again flagged up). Final go, dyslexic (good, not flagged this time) - after all that I have forgotten what I was going to post.  :-[

Is there anything in these computers that will help me remember?  ???

Come to think of it, I was shown how to work a Range Finder the other day so I expect it has temporary caused by brain to switch off, another reason for not using these damn things. Love to invent a dyslexic Range Finder - that should create total confusion for those who feel the need to use them (reads 96 yds. but is actually only 69yds.) :D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »
Rihc,

I certainly messed up that joke. Reminds me, once again, of my niece...... :P

Off to make coffee....then I'll Czech back in.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

James Bennett

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 07:35:42 AM »

Love to invent a dyslexic Range Finder - that should create total confusion for those who feel the need to use them (reads 96 yds. but is actually only 69yds.) :D

Melvyn

when you do invent this, Murphy's Law says you will be exactly 181 yards from the green!

(By the way, you should know that 181 is also metric for 69).

James B

paul cowley

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »
I had never typed or used a computer before joining this forum.....and, as some of the oldsters here could confirm, its been a crawling to walking experience.

One of my earliest thrills came when I discovered what the shift key did!

I feel that my graduation was finally conferred with the discovery of spell check......giving me the ability go out in the computer world and attempt to communicate at least as a grammar equal.

....I still have a problem with arranging words and spaces because I like how they 'look'....and not necessarily by what they mean.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tom Yost

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »
Back in High School, the first day of class was usually a goof-off day.  Time for the teacher to introduce him/herself, pass out the textbooks, discuss the syllabus and tell us what type of paper and notebook they wanted us to use.  So it came as a bit of a shock on that first day of Mrs. Schick's senior English class, when we were greeted by forty vocabulary words, hand-written on the chalk board.  We were to copy them down (no hand-outs given) and learn them for the test that would come on Friday.   This continued every week for the year.  Man, I hated Mrs. Schick!   Now, I thank her for my writing and spelling skills.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »
I'm disappointed in a great many of you.

I put up a picture of Kate with an on-topic architecture reference and nary one of you, other then Paul and Lloyd can fathom a comment. As Lloyd would normally say in his stately British dialect, Kate is quite lovely.

I couldn't agree more.

Lloyd, I look at that picture and just want to move to England. Me, Kate, some really cool Heathlands course. Lech is right. There would be no time for golf!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »
Tom

Lloyd is probably too polite to say so, but in Brit-speak "quite" means "not very."  Knowing him, I doubt he would call Kate "quite" lovely, unless he is actually married to Catherine Deneuve......

j-p p

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back