News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Baer

Re: Who Hates Bermuda
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »

Kenny,

There has never been a major in Bermuda......I think.......Look foward to seeing you at Holston Hills.

Anthony

I don't think so either; I look forward to seeing  you as well; sorry for my unkind words.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 01:47:06 PM »
Anthony,
  The 1969 US Open was played at Champions, down in houston-quite possibly bermudagrass greens.

The PGA Championship in 1987 - was at PGA National, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

Ryder Cup too.
And yes it is and was certainly Bermuda.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »

Kenny,

There has never been a major in Bermuda......I think.......

And what did they play off at the US Open at Pinehurst?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »

Kenny,

The 1999 and 2005 US Open at #2 were both on bentgrass. ( G-2, I think)
  The Masters was always on bermuda until the early 80's.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TC

It's not still bermuda grass, over seeded with rye?  What is it?

edit  -- I thought we were talking fairways
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:28:08 PM by Eric Smith »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »

Kenny,

The 1999 and 2005 US Open at #2 were both on bentgrass. ( G-2, I think)

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TC

I realize the greens are bent, I thought we were talking airways here?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Eric Smith

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

Kenny,

There has never been a major in Bermuda......I think.......Look foward to seeing you at Holston Hills.

Anthony

Guys, I'm pretty certain Anthony was kidding about bermudagrass and majors, absent emoticon-al evidence.

In the above post he coyly alludes to his post from another thread regarding Pebble hosting majors and KB's subsequent response to that post.

As far as Holston Hills goes, I'm really looking forward to the outing as well.  I can't wait to see Doc Gray sporting his lime green plus four's with yellow socks and complaining about the color of our dormant bermuda...Kenny B marking his ball with his lucky half-eaten chicken sandwich from the grill back home at ACC...and Matt V passing around jars of assorted fruit-flavored moonshine along with his handicap card and cell #, then trying to get a bet with anybody not familiar with the Varney Index... ;D

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:34 PM »
Seems to be some confusion here...now that there are 2 Anthony's involved! :)

There are have been majors played on bermudagrass greens-Augusta pre 1980's,  1969 US Open at Champions and The PGA Championship in 1987 at PGA National.
  Regarding fwys-The 2007 & 1994 PGA, 2001 & 1977 US Open @ Southern Hills, The 2002 PGA & the 1976 US Open @ Atlanta Athletic Club, along with the 1999 & US Open @ #2. The 1984 & 1990 @ Shoal Creek, the 1988 @ Oak Tree, 1987 @ PGA National...and there are many more..

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Anthony Gray

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »

Now that there are two Anthonys involved it mite be better if I go by my stage name..........................................Kavanaugh........

Carl Nichols

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »
Seems to be some confusion here...now that there are 2 Anthony's involved! :)

There are have been majors played on bermudagrass greens-Augusta pre 1980's,  1969 US Open at Champions and The PGA Championship in 1987 at PGA National.
  Regarding fwys-The 2007 & 1994 PGA, 2001 & 1977 US Open @ Southern Hills, The 2002 PGA & the 1976 US Open @ Atlanta Athletic Club, along with the 1999 & US Open @ #2. The 1984 & 1990 @ Shoal Creek, the 1988 @ Oak Tree, 1987 @ PGA National...and there are many more..

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Atlanta Athletic Club (Highlands), where they're playing the PGA in a few years, changed the fairways to Diamond Zoysia and the rough to Tifton10.  I have no idea if that's good or bad. 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
Carl,
  Yes they did, just a couple years back, but the championships were played on bermudagrass fairways. They will be removing the bentgrass greens next summer in favor of an ultradwaf. (champion or mini verde...cant remember)

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris Cupit

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »
Carl,
  Yes they did, just a couple years back, but the championships were played on bermudagrass fairways. They will be removing the bentgrass greens next summer in favor of an ultradwaf. (champion or mini verde...cant remember)

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Hey Anthony--how's Texas?
The AAC is going to change its Highlands Course most likely to mini verde.  Of course, in order to have a firm and fast putting surface I think that bermuda is the only way to go for August in Atlanta.  But it is important to remember that like East Lake the real driving force to change to bermuda is the need for a firm fast green in late summer in Atlanta.

I promise many members are a little nervous about the change and wonder why they should change for one particular event.  The great news for them though is that they have a second 18 holes that is terrific-many prefere Riverside to Highlands already.  Riverside will stay bent and the membership has in theory the best of both worlds--a facility where at least one of the courses has greens in perfect form all the time.

I am still partial to bent as the overall best putting surface for Atlanta when the entire year is taken into account but for firm and fast, July through September--the new bermudas are the only way to go.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2008, 08:29:37 PM »
Chris,
  The renovation is over, the bentgrass survived, the fans are down and people are happy, and I'm leaving for some time on Hilton Head tomorrow, so I guess live in TX is doing fine!  ;)
  Sounds like AAC is going to have a similar setup to Belfair and Berkeley Hall on Hilton Head with the ultradwarf/bentgrass combo. There is alot of flexibilitiy to having 2 courses from having ideal conditions during seasonal play, shifting play when their is aerification and also is one course needs some renovation work.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Carl Nichols

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
Carl,

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Tony:
I wasn't suggesting that your post about the prior championships at AAC was wrong, just that they had changed since them.  A few guys I talked to seemed excited about the zoysia; didn't talk to anyone about the greens. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back