News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

How Cold is Too Cold?
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
I live in NJ and its starting to get a bit colder here- 35 today with flurries.  And of course it gets dark at 5pm , which sucks.  So I was wondering how many of you guys play all year and at what temperature is it too cold- if there is such a thing?

Rob_Waldron

Re: How Cold is Too Cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
50 degree rule is always in effect!

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
If it's raining - 50

If it's not raining - I'll go down to 35, assuming I'm walking.  Even on days where you think it's going to be too cold, once you get a few swings in and walk a couple of holes it's amazing how much you'll warm up.

I'll play in the cold, and I'll play in the rain.  But play in the cold rain?  No thanks.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »
If its not raining or snowing, and the wind isn't blowing too much, I'll play down to about 20 or 25.  Below 20 is out.

Although it is nice as those fairways get plenty fast and firm.  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
I finished yesterday in snow flurries at around 38 degs on the car temp.  I will golf in any weather that someone hunts or skis.  I just don't see the difference.

I hate because I am.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
Nae cold, nae gowf.

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »
I will play as long as they will let me on the course. I once played a tournament where it was 33 degrees, raining and blowing about 25mph. Now that was a cold round. You see the fotball players take helmets off and have steam coming off their heads, yeah, I had that smoke coming off my arms. It was that cold.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
You can play whenever there isn't snow on the ground.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »
Rick Shefchik and I played at 35 degrees Wednesday, in stiff winds of a northerly variety. (Two other members of this esteemed Discussion Group -- who shall remain, mercifully, nameless! -- declined the opportunity to join us.)

It was ... almost too cold -- because of the wind. During the rare lulls, we were perfectly comfortable.

But even at its coldest, I think it's fair to say that we had a blast. (No pun intended.)

We dressed for the weather, and we kept moving. There weren't many practice swings. There was no looking at putts from all sides. There was no honoring of "honors" on the tee; whoever got there first teed off first.

There was very little agonizing about wayward shots.

That's a really fun way to play -- impossible on most public courses in most "reasonable" weather conditions. Rick and I look forward to it, annually.

The actual course conditions were interesting: Everything except the trout stream was very firm (i.e., frozen) and very fast -- except the greens, which were frozen-firm but quite slow. Almost all of them had to bounced-onto to be held. Many of them were littered with very firm Canada goose turds.

We ended the day hitting about two dozen old, tired balls from the 10th tee onto a frozen lake left of the 10th fairway -- aiming at a little pumphouse on the far side, somewhere between 250 and 300 yards away. We fired driver after driver at the pumphouse, and listened to the wonderful sound of a golf ball ping-ping-pinging over the ice.

We both hit a bunch of very fine drives -- possibly our last drives of the year. It occurred to us that we might benefit from envisioning such a small target all the time.

Modesty forbids my reporting which of us finally hit the pumphouse. Four bounces, I think.

------------ Addendum: Golf, we decided, was "sport" that day -- perhaps never more so than during Pumphouse Time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:19:35 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
I too cannot imagine weather that would keep me from playing if I intended to play.

That being said, I live in wussy California and not only do we not tend to face this issue often, but when we do they tend to close courses.

TH

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
In Texas 60 deg
In St. Andrews 0 deg
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
I will play in almost any weather as long as its not cold and windy. When you add wind then im out!! Last year on good friday I played in an outing and it was 31 degrees with 25mph winds and it was the only time i walked off a golf course because of the weather

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »
I'll play in 40° as long as it isn't super windy.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rick Sides

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »
I think you guys are right that the wind plays a big factor not only on your shots, but when its biting you in the face when its cold.

Craig Disher

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »
Played yesterday in 39 degrees and will continue to do so as long as the ground isn't frozen and the wind is reasonable. It's a great time to play - especially if there's no wind; the course is almost empty so we can cover all 18 in well under 3 hours.  A flask containing a whiskey mac tonic (about 50-50 cheap scotch and ginger wine) is essential.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
That being said, I live in wussy California and not only do we not tend to face this issue often, but when we do they tend to close courses.

I remember visiting Disneyland a couple years ago, and the first morning we were taking the family, I looked outside our hotel room and saw that the parking lot was wet. Worried, I checked the tv for some weather info. A reporter said that LA was being "hammered" by a rainstorm, and there were going LIVE to a woman out by some highway. She breathlessly reported that 1/4 inch of rain had fallen since yesterday ! Armageddon !

Beautiful day. No rain. The park was EMPTY. Wusses.

I remember playing on New Years' Day at Park Hill in Denver - with the snow scraped to the sides of the fairways, firm and fast as rock, little styrofoam cups for tees, greens hard as asphalt and smooth as glass......great fun !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »

I remember visiting Disneyland a couple years ago, and the first morning we were taking the family, I looked outside our hotel room and saw that the parking lot was wet. Worried, I checked the tv for some weather info. A reporter said that LA was being "hammered" by a rainstorm, and there were going LIVE to a woman out by some highway. She breathlessly reported that 1/4 inch of rain had fallen since yesterday ! Armageddon !

Beautiful day. No rain. The park was EMPTY. Wusses.

I remember playing on New Years' Day at Park Hill in Denver - with the snow scraped to the sides of the fairways, firm and fast as rock, little styrofoam cups for tees, greens hard as asphalt and smooth as glass......great fun !

You do have us pegged, Kirk.

But you also just gave away the secret to Disneyland.  SHHHHHHHHHH!

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
I too cannot imagine weather that would keep me from playing if I intended to play.
TH

Ditto for me.

I don't believe cold weather has ever cancelled a planned play.  Heavy rain + cold has.

The question reminds me of the time in the early years of our annual buddy event.  I had scheduled for us to stay and play at Renegade Mountain (formerly Cumberland Gardens) up on the plateau in TN.  We had 3 foursomes and I did the best sell job ever to recruit the guys from Nashville and Knoxville to venture up the plateau on a Saturday morning in November.  I think the weather forecast was maybe 50 deg. tops, cloudy and windy but no rain.  The thing is and I knew it would happen, up at Renegade where the elevation is 2100 ft., the clouds can fall down on you fast when a front rolls in and sure enough by the 14th hole you could barely see 200 yards in front of you and the temp dropped so fast, to near freezing, where the moisture in the air caused ICE to build up on the clubface!  We finished, barely, with many moaning to call the round off, but I already had everyone's cash for the purse and wasn't about to cave (I was in the middle of the pack score wise), and we managed to complete the round.

I wasn't popular at the card table that evening and after Sunday's round a few of the guys from Nashville (all of them finished well back of the winner) swore that they'd never return to play in my tourney, forever dubbed the 96 Ice Bowl.  And they haven't.

The good thing is the 5 or 6 who were either neutral or on my side in the affair still to this day play with me and we now try to do at least two buddy trips a year instead of one.

John Nixon

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »
I seem to be adding an additional degree to my comfort level with each additional year I live. I used to not care, now I'm leery of anything under 40. I can foresee that at some point comfort level in degrees will = my age.    ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »
I've played in and will play in just about everything, but agree that the combination of rain, cold, and wind is intolerable and borderline stupid when one considers the risk of hypothermia.

I was thinking of going out to play on a particular horrid day recently, and as I threw it out there as a trial balloon my fiance said to me, "If you go to play today I'll think you're having an affair."

I am, but unfortunately (or fortunately) it's with golf.  ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »
Just about 40*

I played Shoreacres last week when it started sleet/snowing on the 12th green. From then out when putting the ball would collect ice and form a little snowman.
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
I was thinking of going out to play on a particular horrid day recently, and as I threw it out there as a trial balloon my fiance said to me, "If you go to play today I'll think you're having an affair."

It'd have to be a particularly torrid affair to come home looking the way you'd look after a round of golf on a particularly horrid day!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

It'd have to be a particularly torrid affair to come home looking the way you'd look after a round of golf on a particularly horrid day!

Ain't that the truth.   One could dream, certainly.  ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »
I have a simple rule on this.

If you're a football fan, the rule is:  if the weather is good enough that you're willing to sit on your ass on a cold metal bleacher seat for 3 hours semi-shivering to watch a football game, the weather is good enough to get your blood pumping, walk and  play golf.

I simply don't understand how somebody can say the weather is good enough for the former, but not the latter.

B/c a good percentage of those watching a football game in weather like that have some anti-freeze in their systems?!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »
On other threads like this I relayed an old Norwegian saying, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."  I'll play most anytime the course is open.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back