News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bill_k

Smallest Memberships
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »
Which clubs in the US could lay claim to having the smallest membership?
I suppose under 100 would be the starting number.
Let's exclude the obvious and best known such as:
-Deepdale
-The Golf Club
-Double Eagle
-The Dunes Club
-Chicago GC's charter allows no more than 125 but I would be surprised to her they are ever less than that number.
-Any club owned by an Arab Sheik or individual owner like Huizenga at The Floridian.
Are their any clubs out there operating under the same conditions the now NLE Links Club did during its last couple of decades?

Trey Kemp

Re: Smallest Memberships
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »
I think Rich Harvest Farms just outside of Chicago only has about 30-40 members. 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Sanctuary--2 

Dave Liniger of Remax and his wife
Twitter: @Deneuchre

bill_k

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:32:43 AM »
Both of which have individual owners...
I am specifically thinking about club's that are member-owned and governed.

Tony Gorski

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »

Old Chatham in Chapel Hill/Raleigh, NC had a few dozen members last I heard.

Ski.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:40:30 AM »
I would say Double Eagle has more members than most think.  I played there this summer and was told they had around 200; it is exclusive but not quite as untouched as you would think.

I played it on a Saturday morning in the summer and course was crowded.  The range was full and the we were waiting regularly.

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
Last I heard, Cherokee GC in Yemassee, SC had 16 members.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
I have heard that The Floridian has basically 1 member: Wayne Huizenga.

I mean, I guess courses like Tobacco Road with no members don't count? I would guess that we are limiting the discussion to only private clubs?

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »
I think Shoreacres (maybe 200) and Old Elm Club (maybe 100/150) would qualify around Chicago.
H.P.S.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »
The Bogey Club and Log Cabin Club are two clubs in St. Louis with only about 60 members each.  Each club has its own 9-hole course.  The proprieties are adjacent to each other so that 18 holes can be played.  I would expect that one crew may maintain all 18 holes, but otherwise the clubs are independent of each other.

These courses are just down the street from St. Louis C.C.  The courses are nothing special architecturally, although they are fun to play and reminiscent of an old style of simple and basic golf course design.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

CJ Carder

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
There's an Arthur Hills course here in Williamsburg called Colonial Heritage.  Last I heard, 4 members, though that's not necessarily by design.   :-\

When it originally was designed, the intention was to make it private, but they added a windmill and a clown's mouth to a couple holes on the front 9 and it was just too damn hard for a retirement community.  They've had to leave it public because very few people really enjoy the course. 

They even had a promotion here in the paper not too long ago where you signed up into a pool and the local newspaper selected 72 people (18 4somes) to play in a captain's choice tournament for free - no entry fee at all - just to get people to come out to the course.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:04 PM »
How about The Honors in TN? Not certain but it seemed pretty quiet when we were there last Fall. How about Gulph Mills in Philly-that seemed pretty quiet as well. Probably the coolest , most spartan lockerroom I've seen. In Chicago it would be CGC, Old Elm,Shoreacres in that order. Rich Harvest is kind of a different fish so hard to include in this list.    Jack 

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »
Old Sandwich, perhaps...?

Art Roselle

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »
Headwaters is the par-3 course across the street from Wade Hampton and Ithink it has 25 members.  It was originally supposed to be part of WH, but ended up separated somehow.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »
Due Process in Colts Neck, NJ has less than 100 members.....I don't remember exactly, but in the membership by-laws, the maximum membership is capped at about 125 or so.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »
How about The Honors in TN? Not certain but it seemed pretty quiet when we were there last Fall. How about Gulph Mills in Philly-that seemed pretty quiet as well. Probably the coolest , most spartan lockerroom I've seen. In Chicago it would be CGC, Old Elm,Shoreacres in that order. Rich Harvest is kind of a different fish so hard to include in this list.    Jack 

A former pro told me The Honors has around 325 members with close to 200 living in the area.

brad_miller

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
I suspect a few of the wonderful  gems just built or being built today.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
Gotta be the Lollipop Guild:

Knee length shorts permitted.  Collared shirts required.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:08:40 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
Gotta be the Lollipop Guild:

The winner so far!

Robert Thompson

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »
Memphremagog, a Tom McBroom course, outside Montreal is capped at 40.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
I would suspect there are a lot of little clubs out in the middle of nowhere that have only 20 or 30 members. I know we have plenty in Australia, generally in farming communities where it’s a 20-mile drive to your neighbours place. They
Mostly have sandscape greens & the guys have a roster as to whose turn it is to cut the fairways this week.

I played in a Saturday competition at one about 3 years ago that had 22 members. Every single member turned up for the day – 100% participation.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

Jack:
Gulph Mills did seem quiet but I'm pretty sure they have about 325 members.  Tommy Paul please check in :)
Best
Dave

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
Cherokee Plantation in Yemassee, SC has less than 10 members.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Robert Emmons

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »
The Floridian has two members, Wayne and Marti. All the rest are one year honorary....RHE

john_stiles

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

The Honors has quite a few local members, and many national members.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back